Residing near an NCL home port

Something fun!

Bingo! You read my mind. It's almost as if you have had similar ideas. :D;p I thought it would be a more interesting topic than the usual ubp/udp/dsc/sos too. :beer-toast:

Yup.:D

I Know I could never retire landlocked like say " Iowa ".:o

Probably deliberately. JaxPort is only serviced by Carnival, with a Fantasy-class ship, running short itineraries to the Bahamas. Pass.

For the moment. Some years ago Carnival was running 1 ship out of Tampa and only back and forth to Cozumel. And they were the only ones in Tampa at the time.

For the moment. Some years ago Carnival was running 1 ship out of Tampa and only back and forth to Cozumel. And they were the only ones in Tampa at the time.
What's your point? That JaxPort will get more ships? Highly unlikely. The facilities just cannot handle it, and any proposals to expand or relocate to another location (i.e.: Mayport) have been effectively kiboshed. Not going to happen.

What's your point? That JaxPort will get more ships? Highly unlikely. The facilities just cannot handle it, and any proposals to expand or relocate to another location (i.e.: Mayport) have been effectively kiboshed. Not going to happen.

Jacksonville has home ported 6 different ships from two different cruise lines since it opened in 2003.The facility was always meant to be temporary, but, as you mentioned ran in to problems when it tried to move to Mayport. Currently Jacksonville is mainly commerce and container shipping, but that could easily change.

After all, they built the temporary facility they still use 15 years later in just 6 months.

I think it depends on the definition of “near.” We’re in Dallas, but we can be in Galveston in five hours or so (depending on traffic) and while I-45 can get boring, it’s not too bad. It would take about the same time (with much more hassle) to fly to PortMiami or New Orleans.

I think when people think “close”, it may mean “I don’t want to fly” or “l want to travel on embarkation day.”

I think the time savings comes from not flying (and especially not connecting). When I was working in Houston, with having to drive to DFW (in traffic), arriving an hour before flight time, security hassles (and this was pre-9/11), flying to Houston (which as the comics say, has two airports, one in Dallas, one in Galveston), and driving to my apartment, it was almost faster to just drive.

I would like to be closer to a major port, but Norwegian left Houston, so geographically closest to us now is NOLA, or Galveston for Carnival, RCCL and sometimes Disney.

My fear (as others mentioned) is moving close to a port that then is then abandoned. We sailed on the Jade twice before she left Houston, and she’s my favorite ship, so we probably would have done the same itinerary a few more times if she had stayed, even though it was not the most exciting (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel).

We have other lines still in Galveston, so we may have to branch out (did one Carnival cruise from there, spouse hated it.)

I do agree that PortMiami has the most choices for now, but as ships keep getting larger, there are less ports where they can call - who wants to tender 5000+ people? I love Cozumel, but really don’t need to go there every year.

It may be time to graduate to $maller $hip$ for different ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Proximity to a cruise port was never a consideration for us when we selected our retirement home, BUT, we now live in the largest (and best) retirement community in the world, The Villages, FL which is only two hours from both Port Canaveral and Tampa, with Miami a little bit further, but a straight shot south on Florida's Turnpike. Great location for arranging a last minute cruise.

Proximity to a cruise port was never a consideration for us when we selected our retirement home, BUT, we now live in the largest (and best) retirement community in the world, The Villages, FL which is only two hours from both Port Canaveral and Tampa, with Miami a little bit further, but a straight shot south on Florida's Turnpike. Great location for arranging a last minute cruise.

Heard the parties there are lit!!! :D

Central Florida!

I’m an hour away from Port Canaveral, 2-2½ hours from port of Tampa, 3½ -4 hours from Port of Miami. Oh, and there’s always Ft. Lauderdale!

Though my wife and I are NCL loyal right now (we just started cruising) we’ve got dozens of choices no more than four hours from our driveway if we ever decide to switch it up.

This is my retirement dream!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Dunedin FL which I love. It is a great town where you can walk to many activities in town and it is on the Gulf. We are just north of Tampa/Clearwater. We love cruising and my advice is to pick a town you love to live in and if it is close to a port then that is even better.

If you are planning on moving south, and you like cruising, why not some where close to a few ports. I wouldn't move for the ports, however if I were planning on moving, I'd take that into consideration.

Born and raised in Florida, thank God, knock wood I have not had a personal experience with a sink hole. In all my life (which is greater than 50 years) I could count the sink holes I remember on one had.

As for hurricanes, you have plenty of warning to get out of harms way.

It's nice being driving distance from the ports, and I love the NCL has cruises going out of Port Canaveral and Tampa as both are less than 2 hours from me. Miami is about 4.5 hours, not bad, however the traffic is a headache.:)

I retired (early) from Maryland and moved to Florida, on the treasure coast. It has been one of my better decisions I have ever made. Port Carnival, 40 miles, Everglades, 130, Miami, 160. I moved because of taxes, traffic and cold winters. It's 37 in Baltimore right now. In Sebastian it is 77!

I think it depends on the definition of “near.” We’re in Dallas, but we can be in Galveston in five hours or so (depending on traffic) and while I-45 can get boring, it’s not too bad. It would take about the same time (with much more hassle) to fly to PortMiami or New Orleans.

I think when people think “close”, it may mean “I don’t want to fly” or “l want to travel on embarkation day.”

I think the time savings comes from not flying (and especially not connecting). When I was working in Houston, with having to drive to DFW (in traffic), arriving an hour before flight time, security hassles (and this was pre-9/11), flying to Houston (which as the comics say, has two airports, one in Dallas, one in Galveston), and driving to my apartment, it was almost faster to just drive.

I would like to be closer to a major port, but Norwegian left Houston, so geographically closest to us now is NOLA, or Galveston for Carnival, RCCL and sometimes Disney.

My fear (as others mentioned) is moving close to a port that then is then abandoned. We sailed on the Jade twice before she left Houston, and she’s my favorite ship, so we probably would have done the same itinerary a few more times if she had stayed, even though it was not the most exciting (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel).

We have other lines still in Galveston, so we may have to branch out (did one Carnival cruise from there, spouse hated it.)

I do agree that PortMiami has the most choices for now, but as ships keep getting larger, there are less ports where they can call - who wants to tender 5000+ people? I love Cozumel, but really don’t need to go there every year.

It may be time to graduate to $maller $hip$ for different ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Totally in agreement with you on many points. I live in Houston and loved it when both the Jade and Jewel sailed from here. When Norwegian left I was extremely sad. Now for the first time I will sail out of New Orleans on the Pearl and we'll see how that goes. Then I am sailing on the Vision of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston. It's about an hour or so drive from my house so I'm excited to see how I'll feel about RCCL. Looking forward to good experiences so I won't miss NCL in Houston as much as I do now.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Forums mobile app