A quick note on elevator bullies

perditax

Don’t worry, most people I noticed were kind and helpful, you get the odd ******* and the one that has a bit too much to drink and doesn’t know any better, but you shouldn’t have too much problems as a result of other passengers.

Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful time.

Thank you for the reassurance csopi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread has now become about splitting hairs, challenging the definition of specific terms when we all agree on one major issue....be kind to others on the elevators-we are all on vacation and do not need the negativity, poor behaviour we have experienced on board. I think the term (that apparently has panties right wrapped in a bunch) is "bully" I didn't take this as a LITERAL term here-just someone suggesting that people are impolite and lacking in manners-perhaps even acting with disregard for others....I don't actually think the initial poster felt threatened or had vexacious comments uttered towards them....and as for suggesting my comment was culturally imperialistic....come on. I have ridden subways all over the world and lived in multiple countries...including Asia where practices like rushing elevators appear common...I don't care where you live, you know when someone is just trying to find space on a crowded subway car or elevator and when someone has a disregard for you as a human being. Etiquette is different around the world, human decency is not.

Save the drama for other websites

Enjoy your cruise

Live your life

Be polite on elevators

I used to travel with my mother in her wheelchair, and I am all too aware of some of the selfish behavior by some, that have been described here. I will say, that there were some occasion's when some "Good Samaritan", stepped up, and shamed the crowd into behaving courteously, and cleared a path for us into an elevator....it was much appreciated.

Nowadays, I cruise solo, and it is a point of pride for me to never use an elevator on a cruise...even when I go up the entire height of the ship, and even when I am carrying my bags during self-disembark. I find it to be a great exercise, and freedom from ever having to wait for an elevator. Thankfully, I am healthy and fit enough to accomplish this. I encourage others to at least use the stairs sometimes.....

I used to travel with my mother in her wheelchair, and I am all too aware of some of the selfish behavior by some, that have been described here. I will say, that there were some occasion's when some "Good Samaritan", stepped up, and shamed the crowd into behaving courteously, and cleared a path for us into an elevator....it was much appreciated.

Nowadays, I cruise solo, and it is a point of pride for me to never use an elevator on a cruise...even when I go up the entire height of the ship, and even when I am carrying my bags during self-disembark. I find it to be a great exercise, and freedom from ever having to wait for an elevator. Thankfully, I am healthy and fit enough to accomplish this. I encourage others to at least use the stairs sometimes.....

I agree 100% ......we take the stairs almost every time- we are fit people with fit children and feel the elevators should be reserved for those who require them. We have had bad experiences and simply feel we are four less people to cause clogging and kaos!

Threads like this make me wonder if I have made a mistake booking my first ever cruise.

I am one of those disabled people that appear outwardly "normal"... but am far from it.

Embarkation, muster, and elevators are my concerns and pose the largest risk to my well being. This cruise is one of my bucket list items.

Don't worry too much. If you stay around here long enough you will find it seems to be the same posters who always find themselves in some sort of drama. I have been on my share of cruises and haven't had anymore of an elevator etiquette issue there as I have on land.

The ones who have elevator issues today will be dealing with 'rude smokers' tomorrow, 'wild kids' the day after that and end up finishing the week with some sort of thread about them removing some or all of their tips.

Need room on the elevator....pass gas and look at the person next to you in disgust;). Only kidding, I personally get in and get to one side near the front and will step out to let people off, then step back in. If it starts to get too crowded, I just deal with it, usually a short ride, but then again, free food on the cruise, I'll probably be working it off on the stairs

One of my peeves is when you get on an uncrowded elevator but there is a person standing right in front of the floor buttons and they don’t move until you ask them to push a floor button for you. Some people are just oblivious to where they are.

Don't worry too much. If you stay around here long enough you will find it seems to be the same posters who always find themselves in some sort of drama. I have been on my share of cruises and haven't had anymore of an elevator etiquette issue there as I have on land.

The ones who have elevator issues today will be dealing with 'rude smokers' tomorrow, 'wild kids' the day after that and end up finishing the week with some sort of thread about them removing some or all of their tips.

Now, Now. We don't remove tips. We remove Daily service charges. Not even close to being the same thing.;p;p;p

One of my peeves is when you get on an uncrowded elevator but there is a person standing right in front of the floor buttons and they don’t move until you ask them to push a floor button for you. Some people are just oblivious to where they are.

If I'm near the buttons I always ask those coming on "Which floor", and if I'm not near the buttons and can see the floors chosen, and mine is not lit, I ask someone to press it....if I cannot see, I shout out the floor number.

I like to announce “ladies handbags, shoes and the floor number”like an old school department store when people get a bit out of control on the elevator. It lightens the mood and gets people talking. Everyone riding who is suffering with something are not always in wheelchairs and to think that anyone should be walking if you can’t visualize the disability is just silly.

Everyone riding who is suffering with something are not always in wheelchairs and to think that anyone should be walking if you can’t visualize the disability is just silly.

That is me and many others I am sure.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now, Now. We don't remove tips. We remove Daily service charges. Not even close to being the same thing.;p;p;p

Have to say, I'm with you. Let the cruise lines pay their staff enough so that they do not have to nickle and dime their passengers. I'm far from cheap but I will tip those that deserve it not every staff person on the ship.

Have to say, I'm with you. Let the cruise lines pay their staff enough so that they do not have to nickle and dime their passengers. I'm far from cheap but I will tip those that deserve it not every staff person on the ship.

From whom do you think that the cruise line will get the money to "...pay their staff enough..."? :confused:

Would you prefer a $1,000 fare with $100 in service charges or a $1,100 fare with zero in service charges?

The people who will shove their large group into an overcrowded elevator, so that everyone is pressed up against each other, are the same people who will absolutely refuse to step off the elevator at the next floor to let the people in the back get off.

Twice this week on Escape, I've had to shove past someone who refused to let me off an elevator (both times women, for what it's worth). One of them was saying "just get off, just get off", while blocking the doorway. Maybe they think they're smaller than they are? Maybe they think I'm smaller than I am? I have no idea. Both times I've had to physically push past and through them. Frankly, my days of being in a mosh pit are well behind me, but if you're going to block an exit, I'm going to move you.

(Also, it's flu season, and if you think it's a good idea to force people into direct physical contact with an elevator full of strangers, you're a damned moron.)

If you're a person who won't move to let the people in the back of the elevator get off, will you please explain your reasoning so me?

One reason I always use the stairs on board. No waiting for the elevator, no crowds on the stairway, and great workout to boot. Win Win all the way around. Plus, on the stairs, I always see the terrific art work hanging.

Edited by hi2you
more to add

OP here.

1) Sorry, forgot bully is now a politicized term. How about "entitled *******es"?

2) I had, in the first 24 hours, experienced more elevator rudeness than I had on any cruise previously. Typically it's not a big deal for me, but two issues were new:

--a very large group forcing themselves into an already crowded elevator, so that people in back were literally shoved into full body contact with strangers. They were pretty pleased when themselves, thought it was hilarious. It was probably this group that prompted my word choice.

--Then, when my floor came, they ignored my repeated (polite) requests to let me out, so I had to push my way out. They were English speakers, by the way. The one blocking the door kept saying "just get off, just get off".

The same thing happened to me the next day; I politely said "excuse me" and no one would move. Had to shove past a woman with a large purse who had planted herself in the center of the entry and refused to take even one step to let people off.

I've been on quite a few cruises, and have largely ignored elevator complaint threads. This has just been the first time a polite, clear, "excuse me, this is my floor" didn't work ... several times. So I vented. Maybe a few people will see this thread and alter their behavior a little (unlikely ... but maybe).

Those incidents were both in the first 24 hours and things have been a little calmer, but I've also avoided crowded elevators and large groups waiting together since.

This is my second time on the Escape, and I do have to say I think the pax load is a little too high. They've also cut housekeeping staffing to the bone. (No, I'm not going to complain to guest services about a corporate staffing issue.)

Buffet is still great, though! Missed it a lot after a dreadful Oasis trip.

From whom do you think that the cruise line will get the money to "...pay their staff enough..."? :confused:

Would you prefer a $1,000 fare with $100 in service charges or a $1,100 fare with zero in service charges?

Good point. I'm always amazed by folks that say "pay their staff enough", when they would probably be the first people (especially those that removed the DSC) to complain when prices.

Don't be so quick to judge. To look at me and watch me move around on level ground , you would think I was very physically fit.

However, I have a compromised left knee from an injury over forty years ago and just can't manage one flight of stairs at times.

The key point here and what OP mentioned is I don't think you would make snarky remarks while refusing to move.

If they make a remark, I'm making one back. I don't mind squeezing my way though a crowded elevator. It's no different than a crowded subway. Door is gonna close. I'm getting off. However, most people are nice enough that they'll squeeze how they can and give me a little room to squeeze by. If you're in the back, you just say "Excuse me" and people shuffle over as much as they can.

The really rare occasions when someone hasn't moved, I just be a little more forceful. They glare, I glare, and I'm off wherever I want to go. I don't care what they're feeling back there (this only has happened on a bus or subway, never elevator in my experience). I may be fluffier around the middle now, but my shoulders and elbows are still bony enough to be sharp and painful. If they had the gall to make comments while not moving over, they're getting comments back along with and a few elbows or knees. I really doubt there are that many of those kinds of people though.

The same thing happened to me the next day; I politely said "excuse me" and no one would move. Had to shove past a woman with a large purse who had planted herself in the center of the entry and refused to take even one step to let people off.

That's appalling. Never seen that before. Depending on positioning, I woulda attempted to shove her off the elevator with me or "caught" her purse and tossed it outside. Whichever looked easier. As easy to pretend it's an obviously fake accident as she is. Sarcastic "oops", etc.

I took my five year old grandson to the doctors last week ...he loves the elevator ...he pushed the button and then stepped back in case someone was going to get off when it opened ...how did he know to do this ????? Because Gramma taught him !!!!

This!!!! I'm shocked at how many parents are not coaching their kids on proper elevator etiquette while on a cruise!!! "Step back and let the kind people from behind you off, Johnny". Isn't that how Johnny learns? Nope, wasn't happening. Made me sad. I also wondered if it was cultural. If some niceties we are accustomed to are not cultural norms elsewhere? We lived in Asia for three years and I can assure you norms are much different there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is too short to get upset about an elevator. If they won't let you off, ride past your floor and go back to it. Like the impatient people who cram into the elevator thinking that their life will end if they have to wait another minute, people can stay in the elevator a minute if it is too hard to get out.

Oh BS., life is too short to be riding up and down an elevator so put your head down, lower your shoulder and drive with your legs. They will get out of the way, or get out with you:cool:

AND Why the heck does My plate of food have to be examined by the elevator inspectors Every dang time?? :confused: Why?

Just to make sure we havent missed anything on the Lido deck for the next time we shove

past those Line Bullies to grab us some grub, That's Why!!!! :evilsmile: