A quick note on elevator bullies

perditax

traveling with someone that has "special needs", the bullies that annoy me are the ones that love to rush in to the elevator first as the doors opening, ignoring people with canes, walkers and other things. even thru were standing next to the elevator that was about to open and were waiting even longer then those people.

Happens all the time...using a scooter you see it all

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The people who will shove their large group into an overcrowded elevator, so that everyone is pressed up against each other, are the same people who will absolutely refuse to step off the elevator at the next floor to let the people in the back get off.

Twice this week on Escape, I've had to shove past someone who refused to let me off an elevator (both times women, for what it's worth). One of them was saying "just get off, just get off", while blocking the doorway. Maybe they think they're smaller than they are? Maybe they think I'm smaller than I am? I have no idea. Both times I've had to physically push past and through them. Frankly, my days of being in a mosh pit are well behind me, but if you're going to block an exit, I'm going to move you.

(Also, it's flu season, and if you think it's a good idea to force people into direct physical contact with an elevator full of strangers, you're a damned moron.)

If you're a person who won't move to let the people in the back of the elevator get off, will you please explain your reasoning so me?

I honestly (IMHO) feel that some, in our Genx, are SO 'self-absorbed' that in their tiny brain, ALL they can focus on is, Ohhhhhh, it's all about ME ! And what or where can I go NEXT !! There's nobody else on this ship but ME!' Shame, that this type of 'self-focus' carries over to people on scooters and walkers:mad:

Mac

Maybe we need to add an etiquette drill along with the lifeboat drill. You should have seen the news this morning where they had to kick a whole family off a Carnival ship for disorderly conduct. Really a sad, sad world.

Did you see the security kicking at some of them? Not excusing the fight at all (over someone stepping on someone else's flip flop), but the security was way wring. They are paid to handle themselves better and there was no need to be kicking anyone.

I'm all for not being uptight about every little thing, but riding to the wrong floor to placate rude idiots seems a little doormat-like to me, lol. I deal with the NYC subway every day. We just shove past.

If they only learned our rule of "keeping to the right" so people could enter and exit the elevator at the same time. It would speed things up.

So many times I think "OMG....that guy would have the doors close on him and he'd be left standing on the platform".

I'm all for not being uptight about every little thing, but riding to the wrong floor to placate rude idiots seems a little doormat-like to me, lol. I deal with the NYC subway every day. We just shove past.

Agree, I say excuse me and if nothing happens I say it again louder and then shove my way off the elevator.

Agree, I say excuse me and if nothing happens I say it again louder and then shove my way off the elevator.

I feel shoving ones way off is a action that is one that is missing an opportunity to communicate effectively.

Saying excuse me me, I will need to ask you (all) to move/give way so that I can get out this elevator details what the action items are.

I am someone who would manage the situation in this manner, first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with the "life is too short to get upset" strategy....I work in mental health and sacrificing your self respect and accepting this behaviour can affect you negatively....bullies rely on those who will accept and stay quiet....it gives them power. Speak up for yourself for no other reason than to sleep well at night knowing you have set boundaries for the way people are expected to treat you.

Well said!

Just got off a ship two weeks ago where several couples hogged their way into the already crowded elevator. I got rubbed up along a Man’s stomach,That was my tipping point! Announced this was a ridiculous situation and pushed my way off! For the record, i work in the mental health field..... this was NUTS!!!!

On my first trip (of many) to Japan years ago, I was alone going down in a hotel elevator, and when I reached the lobby, the doors opened and a mob of at least 25 or 30 elderly Japanese women on some kind of excursion pushed and shoved their way on, paying no attention to me, who was unceremoniously pushed into the back corner. Now those were real elevator ****'s, so I'm sure I can handle a few rude soft Americans or Canadians.

I took my five year old grandson to the doctors last week ...he loves the elevator ...he pushed the button and then stepped back in case someone was going to get off when it opened ...how did he know to do this ????? Because Gramma taught him !!!!

I almost always take the stairs... but when I am in the elevator... I prefer to be in control of the open/close button and I announce who needs off, I am holding the door open button lol... I agree, people are rude, it is sad.

Exactly what I do!!! You don’t want to move and let me off?! Then we are ALLLLL gonna stand here with the door open till ya do! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just thought of something. If they won’t move, cough without covering your mouth! That should let you through! I’m sorry, I was just really feeling rude toward those people at this moment. We’ve not run into the problem, but I usually say “excuse me” pretty loud. And I do hold the elevator to let a scooter, walker, or anyone who has mobility problems go first.

Next time after the muster drill, watch how many people push aside those in wheel chairs or scooters and make them wait until every last person has made their way back to their cabins....NO one offering to let them on any elevator.....

Sadly this is true. We cruise with someone in a power wheelchair, and the muster drill isn't any fun at all. We usually go early...then you have to sit around until the masses clear out. Last time, fighting the crowds, the wheelchair user ran over a lady's foot -- you should have heard her scream! Then quickly claim to be "all right."

We cruise again in late March and are considering skipping the muster drill, opting instead for the next day make up drill -- it should be much easier to deal with. I plan on discussing this with someone on board to make sure it's a feasible plan.

Sometimes I feel like "Excuse me" doesn't register with some people especially when they are on vacation and kind of zoned out. I have found "This is my floor" or "this is me" works a little better.

Doesn't excuse the woman that wouldn't move at all though. She was just being a jerk.

Next time after the muster drill, watch how many people push aside those in wheel chairs or scooters and make them wait until every last person has made their way back to their cabins....NO one offering to let them on any elevator.....

That's an assumption not a fact. Muster Drill has little to do with people's ability to be kind and considerate to one another at elevator landings.

I just had the image of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka in the elevator... “LET ME OUT OR ILL SCREAM!!”[emoji23] It should work!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL yeah I bet that would be pretty effective!!!:'):'):'):')

Sometimes I feel like "Excuse me" doesn't register with some people especially when they are on vacation and kind of zoned out. I have found "This is my floor" or "this is me" works a little better.

Doesn't excuse the woman that wouldn't move at all though. She was just being a jerk.

Its sort a a difficult situation...I can completely imagine people in a filled elevator thinking where am I supposed to go in that moment. Can't move, and any movement may be a bump into someone else so people freeze in place probably expecting someone else to make the move first.

Think it through people, and if you are natural born leaders, then lead, and show others the way.

When we were on Epic last summer we were the first ones in line for the elevator from the 5th floor and ended up having to walk up to the 17th floor because everyone pushed us out of the way to get ON to the elevator. We thought it was hysterical (in a sad, pathetic kind of way).

Its sort a a difficult situation...I can completely imagine people in a filled elevator thinking where am I supposed to go in that moment. Can't move, and any movement may be a bump into someone else so people freeze in place probably expecting someone else to make the move first.

Think it through people, and if you are natural born leaders, then lead, and show others the way.

Well said and good point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk