Ordinary People

gmbhardy

We have been cruising for just over two years now and are addicted to it. We love NCL, have taken six cruises and have four more booked. We have booked various balcony categories but at some point would love to book a Haven Suite for a special treat. Last week on the Epic we approached guest services and asked if we could get a tour of the Haven section of the ship. We were abruptly and emphatically told that “ordinary people” were not allowed in the Haven. Personally I never buy products and services with investigating them first, so I’m wondering what I can do to make an informed decision or perhaps how we can bridge the gap between ordinary and extraordinary.

First of all...ewww, that is totally gross. Must have made you feel really special.

Second, you tube has great video tours of the Haven. That's my go-to for investigating the Haven area on the ships. We are staying in the Haven on the Pearl and I wanted to see if the pool had a retractable roof.

We have been cruising for just over two years now and are addicted to it. We love NCL, have taken six cruises and have four more booked. We have booked various balcony categories but at some point would love to book a Haven Suite for a special treat. Last week on the Epic we approached guest services and asked if we could get a tour of the Haven section of the ship. We were abruptly and emphatically told that “ordinary people” were not allowed in the Haven. Personally I never buy products and services with investigating them first, so I’m wondering what I can do to make an informed decision or perhaps how we can bridge the gap between ordinary and extraordinary.
That's unfortunate you experienced that. I just came off the jade a month ago and requested to see the garden villa after the cruisers had disembarked. (I was staying in a suite) but wanted to see the villa. My concierge was happy to show me around. Because of being able to view the villa I booked it on the dawn for next year. Try the next ship you are sailing on.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Before your first cruise, did the cruise line give you a tour so that you could make an informed decision, or did you make that booking on a combination of faith + research?

Guests without a Haven booking are not permitted in the Haven. There is no Cruise Critic work around on that rule. The fact that non-Haven guests are not permitted IS one of the benefits that the people in the Haven pay for. It would not be fair to them for NCL to parade non-guests through the area simply because they may consider a future booking.

There are plenty of reviews available...with and without photos...for you to browse and consider before booking.

I understand the phrase "ordinary people" was off-putting. Maybe English was not their first language and perhaps the word choice was just a bit off?

I can see both sides of letting you tour it or not. You'd like to see if it's worth it. But also, if I was paying the premium to stay in the haven, not sure I'd like my expensive tranquility being interrupted with random tours.

Agree with the advice above to join the roll call for your next cruise and go on the cabin crawl.

I understand the phrase "ordinary people" was off-putting. Maybe English was not their first language and perhaps the word choice was just a bit off?

I can see both sides of letting you tour it or not. You'd like to see if it's worth it. But also, if I was paying the premium to stay in the haven, not sure I'd like my expensive tranquility being interrupted with random tours.

Agree with the advice above to join the roll call for your next cruise and go on the cabin crawl.

“Ordinary people” is preferable to “riff-raff.”

On cabin crawls, often the same rules apply - if you’re not booked in the Haven, you don’t go in the Haven. If a Haven guest asks the Concierge, it may be allowed, but I’ve seen crawls that did get in and crawls that didn’t.

YouTube is probably the best source - or reviews here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

“Ordinary people” is preferable to “riff-raff.”

On cabin crawls, often the same rules apply - if you’re not booked in the Haven, you don’t go in the Haven. If a Haven guest asks the Concierge, it may be allowed, but I’ve seen crawls that did get in and crawls that didn’t.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

I was first introduced to the haven by friends we met at our pre-cruise hotel who had us up to their suite for lunch. I was hooked from that point on. I guess I was fortunate for that Introduction.

Like others have suggested there's plenty of videos and pictures of the Haven that could help you. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In regards to the Cabin Crawl, I have organized them on the Getaway and Escape. We were not permitted to enter the Haven. Luckily someone on the roll call both times had a non-Haven suite passenger so we were able to see an example of what the room may look like but couldn’t see the Haven Common Areas. This may vary by ship and/or staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have had the Concierge ask me on several occasions if I would be willing to allow someone to see the Garden Villa I was in, and always said it was OK as long as I was present. So you may try to ask the Concierge, all that they can say is no but you may get a yes.

We did a cabin crawl. Me & my friend had a aft-facing suite (with butler), then there was a gentleman that had a haven with balcony, an ocenaview, balconly, and interior. The haven gentleman asked the concierge if we could all come look & he said no problem. There was about 20 of us altogether, so we all fit in his cabin & took a quick peek into the swimming pool area.

Have to say, I would take our aft facing suite over his haven cabin any day. His cabin was tiny, whereas ours was HUGE, plus the view. The closet was double sided & huge too, big table with 4 chairs. Just no competition. Who needs their own pool. We still had the separate eating area/restaurant which we used every day. It was heaven!

Haven't been able to afford it since. LOL But aaaaah the good memories!!! LOL

But yes, depending who you talk to, you can get into the haven area.

On our last Getaway cruise we were booked in the Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite: the one which overlooks the bow of the ship. A few people we chatted with at the Meet and Mingle asked if they could see the space and we brought them into the Haven with us so they could do so.

I agree that the YouTube offerings are probably a lot better way to see what is inside if only because you can pause and study them.

Is the Haven "worth it?" We think it is and are booked on an upcoming Bliss 21-night sailing in the Haven.

And if you do book a Haven cabin consider getting one that is actually in the Haven itself.

Fortunately I was lucky during a cruise because at the Meet & Mingle we were offered a tour of the garden villa a the Norwegian Dawn when the ship and the concept of these special retreats onboard was brandnew.

One of these was unoccupied and their concierge showed us around.

So maybe it is a good idea to attend these social gathering and ask one of the present staff members if a tour is possible. Very often they are proud to show you around. I think it could be difficult if the ship is fully booked at these suites.

We joined a meet and mingle sail away party for out first NCL cruise on these boards. We were on the Jade and a group in the Haven hosted with drinks and snacks during the sail away. The cruisers gave us a tour of all the connected rooms. It was a great way to see the Haven and sail away as we were in an inside cabin ourselves.

YMMV on the Haven experience. Also, depending on the price ordinary might be just the way to go.

We were on the Epic in a mini suite and spoke to the cruise next consultant about potentially booking more cruises.

We asked her if we could look round the Haven, she was more than happy to show us around on disembarkation morning when guests had left their cabins. She spent quite some time with us, introduced us to the concierge, explained all the benefits.

When she showed us into the Haven restaurant the executive chef was in there and he too was happy to speak to us.

We are very ordinary people.

I think you caught the wrong person on the wrong day.

They shouldn’t have treated you like that.

I agree..the use of that phrase was unfortunate and maybe (at least I hope) due to language differences.

I also agree that Haven guests pay for and deserve their exclusive area.

PS--I have never stayed in the Haven..and if I were considering it I surely would research all I could online as others have said and if the opportunity arose request a tour if it were possible. If denied..no problem--I would understand.

We were on the Epic in a mini suite and spoke to the cruise next consultant about potentially booking more cruises.

We asked her if we could look round the Haven, she was more than happy to show us around on disembarkation morning when guests had left their cabins. She spent quite some time with us, introduced us to the concierge, explained all the benefits.

When she showed us into the Haven restaurant the executive chef was in there and he too was happy to speak to us.

We are very ordinary people.

I think you caught the wrong person on the wrong day.

They shouldn’t have treated you like that.

That’s the information I was looking for. We have a cruise in April on the Getaway and are staying over an extra night so that would be a perfect time to request a tour during disembarkation. We also need to purchase more cruise next certificates so the timing is prefect to approach the consultant. Thanks!

I think this is pretty standard policy, not only on cruise ships but land-based resorts, regarding these type of accommodations. Luckily you can find pictures, reviews, and video tours online with a quick search, and hopefully that will give you the information you are looking for. I understand not wanting to shell out that much without seeing what you are getting first.

Havens guests paid for the right to enjoy their space in privacy.

As a frequent thermal suite purchaser, I hate when the spa parade people through the spa to gawk at you and take pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100%