MCO to Miami Port??

tinkertwo

Is there any transportation options from the Orlando Airport to the Miami Port? We are looking for direct flights but it is looking desperate so I wondered if this was an option I could think about.

TIA

Best would be a one-way rental car.

Check out the Florida Departures forum for other ideas: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Is there any transportation options from the Orlando Airport to the Miami Port? We are looking for direct flights but it is looking desperate so I wondered if this was an option I could think about.

TIA

If you are sailing from Miami, check out flights to FLL which is a lot closer to the Port of Miami than MCO if flying into Miami isn't working.

We have flown into Orlando in order to go to Disney World for a day or two pre-cruise twice and are looking to do it again this coming December.

Both times we rented a car from Alamo from MCO and return at MIA. It's a straight-forward drive and there is a free shuttle to POM from MIA courtesy of Alamo (as of December 2016 in any case). Agree with previous poster who estimated a 4 hour drive time.

The only wrinkle is the tolls that cannot be paid with cash. You can rent a Sun Pass from Alamo to deal with that but it is pricey as I recall ($40 I believe).

The only wrinkle is the tolls that cannot be paid with cash. You can rent a Sun Pass from Alamo to deal with that but it is pricey as I recall ($40 I believe).

Hi - Can you expand on this a little ?? We are driving from Orlando to Port Everglades for our April cruise and did not know about tolls that cannot be paid for by cash ? How do you have to pay them ? Credit card or other ??

Hi - Can you expand on this a little ?? We are driving from Orlando to Port Everglades for our April cruise and did not know about tolls that cannot be paid for by cash ? How do you have to pay them ? Credit card or other ??

You may want to inquire on the Florida Departures forum, but I thought that the non-cash toll booths could use transponder or license plate. If you have a rental car, try to get one with the transponder. If you cannot get a transponder, then I believe they will do toll-by-plate and the rental company will bill you, plus a daily convenience fee.

I fly Orlando -Miami and back and this is not an issue. Go to a search engine and look for flights from MCO (Orlando) to Miami. There are many discounted flights and flights throughout the day. You do not need a shuttle bus! Plan flight and transportation from the Miami airport to your ship.

To drive, you would have obviously have to rent a car, drive south to the Port of Miami and then be sure you drop the car off. What a hassle!

Do you have a TA that could help you with this? Maybe start by looking at flights and prices and the times you need leaving MCO and when your ship sails.

On the way back, take a Uber or taxi to MIA airport, board plane for Orlando and enjoy the experience.

Consider flying in one day in advance just to have time if anything is delayed.

Florida uses Sun Pass to expedite payments for tolls. When you rent a car, you can make an agreement to have a transponder for Sun Pass and you will be billed. You can sail right through especially where there is only the option of having Sun Pass or put exact change into the booth when no staff are present.

Best to talk to the rental company and have the Sun Pass transponder. No credit cards are taken at toll booths.

If it is your own car, have exact change for paying cash.

You don’t need to worry so long as you rent from a highway toll administration member (https://www.htallc.com/en/coverage#ourpartners). They cover all the majors (Avis, hertz, national) plus several discount rental companies.

You just go through like you had a sunpass and they bill the card you rented with. There’s like a $3 one-time fee for any day you incur a toll.

The days of dealing with expensive transponders from the rental companies or other complexities are, at least in much of the country, a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The last (and only, so far!) time we did this we flew. Very straightforward and convenient. Other people we met had driven and said that they’d wished they’d flown instead. To be fair, our route was Miami to Orlando and after a transatlantic flight. Driving four hours after that is probably inadvisable.

Paul

If you are that desperate then I’d also look into flights to Ft. Myers (airport code RSW) and check on a one way rental or shuttle service. I have driven over there to fly out twice, occasionally the flights are a lot cheaper and it can’t hurt to look. Good luck.

Florida uses Sun Pass to expedite payments for tolls. When you rent a car, you can make an agreement to have a transponder for Sun Pass and you will be billed. You can sail right through especially where there is only the option of having Sun Pass or put exact change into the booth when no staff are present.

Best to talk to the rental company and have the Sun Pass transponder. No credit cards are taken at toll booths.

If it is your own car, have exact change for paying cash.

In South Florida the majority of the toll roads do not have toll booths to be able to pay cash, they are all sunpass transponder or toll by plate

I fly Orlando -Miami and back and this is not an issue.

I'm a little confused as to whether the OP was unable to find direct flights from wherever they live into MIA so considering a flight to MCO as an option and then ground transportation from there, or if they are actually starting in Orlando and trying to fly from there to MIA. OP- which is it?

Can always fly to West Palm Beach!!! Closer to Miami....

Ft. Lauderdale would be a better option than West Palm. FLL is about 40 min from the Port of Miami, whereas PBI (west palm airport) is even further north and about about an hour and 15 min to Port of Miami

According to Avis there are no dropoff charges anywhere in Florida. Did this last trip with a Disney stay. Toll charges just show up later as a direct bill. Downside of Avis is they now charge the $3.95/day toll fee for the entire rental even if you only drive on toll roads once. There is a maximum on the fee per month, but it was something like $20. Very boring drive.

I'm a little confused as to whether the OP was unable to find direct flights from wherever they live into MIA so considering a flight to MCO as an option and then ground transportation from there, or if they are actually starting in Orlando and trying to fly from there to MIA. OP- which is it?

This! Its all settled now though as I have found a direct flight that fits our schedule to FLL. Our first flight got canceled so I hope this one lasts and doesn't get canceled as well.

Being from Canada I am not familiar with Florida so I didn't realize that Miami was that far away. Looking at a map you would think its maybe an hour and a half, lol. Thanks everyone for all your ideas and help.