Taking a bottle of booze on board that you want to take home after?

Dixie1337

You don’t. They “dump it”. Get rum runner bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not something that I have tried but I would surprised if they are not willing to return it at end of cruise.

What if I am on a transatlantic and decided to buy some wine in Europe to take home?

Can other CC folk shed light on this?

Not something that I have tried but I would surprised if they are not willing to return it at end of cruise.

What if I am on a transatlantic and decided to buy some wine in Europe to take home?

Can other CC folk shed light on this?

Here is the policy.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use.

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

Guests are allowed to bring two additional 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom, for each individual sailing, when sailing on consecutive cruises. Additional bottles beyond two, will be stored by the ship and delivered, two bottles at a time, to the stateroom on the first day of each new voyage. Guests bringing four bottles at the start of the first sailing should have documentation for both sailings available to share with security.

Thanks everyone. Glad I asked. I guess they have to take a heavy hand on this or more people will try to sneak booze on board. My husband is mad, he really wants to try kirkland vodka :p (at home, we both have the drink package on board)

Confused!!! Why doesn't he buy it and try it at home? Why would he want to buy it at home, take it on a cruise and then take what he did not consume on the cruise back home?

We have bought wine/rum/whiskey in port and they held it until the final evening of the cruise. Never been a problem.

Confused!!! Why doesn't he buy it and try it at home? Why would he want to buy it at home, take it on a cruise and then take what he did not consume on the cruise back home?

We have bought wine/rum/whiskey in port and they held it until the final evening of the cruise. Never been a problem.

You can't get kirkland vodka where we live because of provincial laws regarding where alcohol can be sold. We're coming to fort lauderdale a day early, renting a car for the day so we'd have an opportunity to go to costco. We're flying home immediately after the cruise.

Even if you could buy it in Ontario I guarantee it would be more expensive than anywhere in the USA.

You can have your taxi/Uber divert to a liquor store on the way to the airport.

We've got a pretty early flight and kirkland vodka is only available at costco, which doesn't open until 10.

There's no way to make it work, which is fine. We'll be back in the USA eventually for a non cruise vacation.

Thanks everyone. Glad I asked. I guess they have to take a heavy hand on this or more people will try to sneak booze on board. My husband is mad, he really wants to try kirkland vodka :p (at home, we both have the drink package on board)

While I agree with the posters' comments about "smuggling" a bottle on board, has anyone actually tried what you're suggesting, which is affirmatively surrendering a bottle at embarkation so you can take it home with you? If you walk up to security with the bottle in your hand and announce that you want to store it until you disembark, are they going to take it and dump it? That seems unnecessary and not in furtherance of any policy goals.

While I agree with the posters' comments about "smuggling" a bottle on board, has anyone actually tried what you're suggesting, which is affirmatively surrendering a bottle at embarkation so you can take it home with you? If you walk up to security with the bottle in your hand and announce that you want to store it until you disembark, are they going to take it and dump it? That seems unnecessary and not in furtherance of any policy goals.

I was going to suggest the same thing -- bring it on by hand, & ask them to store it for you. Not sure if there is someone you can contact ahead of time to ask, but if you email them, give them all your details (ship, date, res. #) & get a positive response, print it out & bring it with you. Technically, it is a "port of call", (at least, they list shore excursions for embarkation/debarkation ports on my cruise), so I don't see why they couldn't keep it for you. You're buying something you can't get @ home.

I was going to suggest the same thing -- bring it on by hand, & ask them to store it for you. Not sure if there is someone you can contact ahead of time to ask, but if you email them, give them all your details (ship, date, res. #) & get a positive response, print it out & bring it with you. Technically, it is a "port of call", (at least, they list shore excursions for embarkation/debarkation ports on my cruise), so I don't see why they couldn't keep it for you. You're buying something you can't get @ home.

Won’t happen as the port operator runs the security check under very specific guidelines.

Having said that, Kirkland vodka is crap and not worth the effort.

yes they will take it and yes it will disappear. it will not even make it on board the ship at all

Won’t happen as the port operator runs the security check under very specific guidelines.

Having said that, Kirkland vodka is crap and not worth the effort.

There are actually two types of Kirkland vodka. I can’t remember their names but one is French and supposed to be like grey goose. The other is American and supposed to be like Tito’s. I have tried them both and like the French one. I don’t like the American one much but I don’t like Tito’s so that seems fair.

I normally drink ketel one and don’t mind the French Kirkland vodka, especially for the price. I do drink it with Fresca or diet sprite so if I drank martinis maybe I wouldn’t like it as much. (We life in NC and Costco can’t sell liquor here, but we buy it when we are in Myrtle beach, sc).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You mentioned Ontario. Are you anywhere in the GTA area? We're staying overnight before flying home. Maybe I can buy it and meet up with you.

That's super kind of you to offer! We just found out that my husband will be attending a conference in orlando in September so he plans to pick some up there but thanks for the offer!

You can't get kirkland vodka where we live because of provincial laws regarding where alcohol can be sold. We're coming to fort lauderdale a day early, renting a car for the day so we'd have an opportunity to go to costco. We're flying home immediately after the cruise.

Even if you could buy it in Ontario I guarantee it would be more expensive than anywhere in the USA.

Not sure, but you may be able to buy it in the airport

If you try to bring it on board from your point of embarkation, they will confiscate it and it will not be returned. If you purchase it while in port during your cruise, they will confiscate it and return it to you on the last night of your cruise.

Sorry folks but this is not true. I carried a bottle on in SJU because we had purchased it there but did not open it. I was sent to the naughty room where it was confiscated. It was supposed to be returned the last sailing night but that didn't happen. Everyone sat in the windjammer on Sunday morning while I went in quest of my vodka. 45 minutes later...bingo, it was found and returned. Off we went to spend the day in SJU, celebrate my 60th, and watch the super bowl!!!

That's super kind of you to offer! We just found out that my husband will be attending a conference in orlando in September so he plans to pick some up there but thanks for the offer!

You're welcome. We're on the April 15th cruise if something changes.

Sorry folks but this is not true. I carried a bottle on in SJU because we had purchased it there but did not open it. I was sent to the naughty room where it was confiscated. It was supposed to be returned the last sailing night but that didn't happen. Everyone sat in the windjammer on Sunday morning while I went in quest of my vodka. 45 minutes later...bingo, it was found and returned. Off we went to spend the day in SJU, celebrate my 60th, and watch the super bowl!!!

It most likely depends on the port that you are departing from. Royal is notorious for not applying policies consistently across the fleet. Since their policy does state that it will be taken and not returned it may be best to follow that unless you are prepared to lose the bottle.