Auto Shut-Off Coffeemaker

mollygirl

Does anyone know if Princess still allows one-cup coffeemakers with auto shut-off? The one I have has no heat in the area that holds the cup, and only has an interior metal coil that heats the water and then shuts off. I know that we used one of these some years ago, and it was allowed, but am wondering if that has changed? Thanks!

That should be OK. The important wording is "auto-shutoff".

That important word just about brought Mr. Coffee to bankruptcy in the 80's, being sued for house fires caused when their "auto-off" switches fail. These are still vulnerable to failure, and why Underwriter's Labs always includes wording in their approvals that the device be unplugged when not in use. On NCL, we routinely took the coffee makers out of service for inspection and testing (and I believe every line that provides these does this as well, for insurance reasons), and we had a coffee maker go up in flames in the electrician's shop because the "auto-off" failed.

To answer the OP's question directly, Princess' FAQ's state that coffee makers are prohibited. Generally, nearly every line prohibits anything that generates heat, with the exception of hair care appliances (and that exception is made only because the line would not survive the wrath of the female cruising public).

In the past Princess allowed kettles--NOT coffeemakers--with thermostatically controlled auto shut off.

But sometime in the last year or so the list of prohibited items was amended to remove the exception that kettles and some other appliances may be allowed if inspected and deemed safe. No more.

Guests are advised not to bring any prohibited items to the ship. Prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel with no exceptions. Guests are fully responsible for either storing these items ashore or disposing of them prior to embarkation.

The following items must not be allowed on board without valid lawful reason:

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp (bullet point #26 under 'Prohibited Items')

Thanks everyone for your responses. I also sent an email to my PCC (I think that is what she is called), and she responded with no coffeemakers allowed. Oh well - I tried! I cruise quite frequently on NCL and got accustomed to having a coffeemaker in my cabin. I am a bit of a zombie until I have my first cup of coffee. My upcoming cruise is with a friend, whereas my hubby always goes to the buffet and gets coffee while I am in my sleepy, sleepy mode. He won't be there! ;p

Thanks everyone for your responses. I also sent an email to my PCC (I think that is what she is called), and she responded with no coffeemakers allowed. Oh well - I tried! I cruise quite frequently on NCL and got accustomed to having a coffeemaker in my cabin. I am a bit of a zombie until I have my first cup of coffee. My upcoming cruise is with a friend, whereas my hubby always goes to the buffet and gets coffee while I am in my sleepy, sleepy mode. He won't be there! ;p

then just use room service. We have them bring coffee and fresh orange slices and croissant at between 6:30-7am. Coffee is always, so far, hot and orange slices and croissant just enuf until we get up, dressed, and go to MDR for breakfast. Love my early morning coffee out on the balcony!

Pooh

then just use room service. We have them bring coffee and fresh orange slices and croissant at between 6:30-7am. Coffee is always, so far, hot and orange slices and croissant just enuf until we get up, dressed, and go to MDR for breakfast. Love my early morning coffee out on the balcony!

Pooh

We always do the same. Usually we order just coffee from room service every morning to get us going. We then go have breakfast in the MDR after we get dressed.

Let us talk what happens in the real world. Checked bags go through X-ray machines operated by CRUISE PERSONNEL. What is not allowed is decided on at that moment. On our 10th cruise our bag was pulled because of a surge protector. Same item cleared this inspection nine previous cruises. Makes no difference what you hear this site, T/A, Princess web site or what phone call to corporate gets you. Do what you want, BUT DON'T BE SHOCKED IF THINGS ARE CONFISCATED.

In the past Princess allowed kettles--NOT coffeemakers--with thermostatically controlled auto shut off.

But sometime in the last year or so the list of prohibited items was amended to remove the exception that kettles and some other appliances may be allowed if inspected and deemed safe. No more.

Guests are advised not to bring any prohibited items to the ship. Prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel with no exceptions. Guests are fully responsible for either storing these items ashore or disposing of them prior to embarkation.

The following items must not be allowed on board without valid lawful reason:

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp (bullet point #26 under 'Prohibited Items')

I wonder if a valid lawful reason includes you need the item for a land trip you are taking after the cruise.

Let us talk what happens in the real world. Checked bags go through X-ray machines operated by CRUISE PERSONNEL. What is not allowed is decided on at that moment. On our 10th cruise our bag was pulled because of a surge protector. Same item cleared this inspection nine previous cruises. Makes no difference what you hear this site, T/A, Princess web site or what phone call to corporate gets you. Do what you want, BUT DON'T BE SHOCKED IF THINGS ARE CONFISCATED.

No, the onshore luggage x-ray machines are operated by port personnel, not cruise ship personnel. However, the cruise line can tell them what to look for besides weapons and explosives.

How about bringing on a french press? You could have room service bring hot water. I'm thinking about trying that on my next cruise. I just can't stand the coffee on Princess!

This is what I do! I love flavoured coffee and bring my own ground coffee wherever I travel. I now have a plastic Bodum French Press that is perfect (I used to have a glass one but it broke). I call room service for a carafe of hot water.

Cheers.

Whether they catch those prohibited items or not, it’s irresponsible to bring them because they are banned because they can be hazardous to the shipboard electrical system & could start a fire.

That danger has been discussed many times & a very knowledgeable career ship chief engineer has explained in detail the dangers of using prohibited electrical devices. They’re a potential fire hazard & should not be used nor brought onboard in the hope they won’t be discovered.

Real world, they’re banned because they are potential fire hazards & should not be used. And not being caught is not a reason to use them.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes, I believe in obeying the rules. It is interesting though that other cruise lines like NCL have coffee makers in all balcony and above cabins. But like a former poster said, NCL has had problems with their auto shutoff makers not shutting off. Sure don’t want a fire at sea. In fact, on a recent cruise, we were woke up early morning to a fire alarm and message from the captain saying there was a fire in the galley. He told everyone to stay put and wait for further announcements. We had an anxious 20 min. until the captain came on to say the fire was out and all was well. Whew!