Traveling to western Caribbean in October !

Cozumeldreamin23

Hi ! So I have never been on a cruise before, I am getting married next year, and we were looking into doing a Western Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon in the beginning of October, leaving from Texas,it's a seven night cruise. I'm really worried about hurricane season, I know the general concerns, if anyone could tell me they're good and bad experiences, and any tips that would be wonderful , thank you !

Hi ! So I have never been on a cruise before, I am getting married next year, and we were looking into doing a Western Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon in the beginning of October, leaving from Texas,it's a seven night cruise. I'm really worried about hurricane season, I know the general concerns, if anyone could tell me they're good and bad experiences, and any tips that would be wonderful , thank you !

Yes, that is hurricane season but it also depends on each hurricane season. Some are not so bad and others, like last year are terrible.

I've sailed twice the first week of November and no issues and I've also sailed third week in October and we missed a port due to very high winds.

Good Luck with your first cruise, I am sure you will love it!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

We have cruised several times in October. Only once did we have an itinerary change. We left out of Tampa for a western Caribbean cruise. Our first stop was Key West. We were scheduled to leave that port at 5 PM. We sat there for 3 hours when the captain finally came on and announced that we would be doing an eastern Caribbean cruise. Hurricane Paula changed our itinerary.

So be prepared doe anything -- you can't trust Mother Nature.

Hi

Congratulations.

While I personally wouldn't be too worried, since I have cruised the Caribbean at that time of year without incident, I was never going on my honeymoon on those trips.

Seeing that you might have some reservations, and you say you are "looking into" going there, have you also looked into going somewhere else. This is your first cruise. Very special occasion. I assume that neither of you get seasick. There are many other wonderful places to visit at that time of year, where hurricanes are not a risk.

Considering all that will be happening at the time, if you picked a different itinerary, it would give you one less worry.

no matter what you choose

have a great cruise

I would not be overly concerned. This past year notwithstanding as it was certainly an extreme case, just because it is hurricane season it does not mean there will be hurricanes. It just means that conditions are favorable that time of year for storms to be able to develop. And as others have said, the Captains will do everything in their power to avoid any storm.

We've cruised for over 25 years with many cruises during hurricane season and - perhaps just by good fortune - have never encountered a significant storm and have never had any itinerary altered by one.