Pre Booking Excursions

Just curious about pre-booking excursions through RC online? I have heard that booking through the cruiseline costs more but does anybody know what the upcharge is? If its only a few bucks then I don't mind paying for the convenience. For those that don't book through the cruise line, how exactly does that work? When you can ashore is there a tourist booth selling excursions? Can you get excursions that you normally can't through the cruise line?

I prefer booking online with the knowledge that you can cancel 24-48 hours onboard. Its nice being able to have your tickets waiting for you in the storeroom.

Also I saved by booking online $67.00 during the Black Friday Sale. You have priority on getting the tours and times you want when the Cruise Planner opens I book Specialty Dining and Excursions.

Just curious about pre-booking excursions through RC online? I have heard that booking through the cruiseline costs more but does anybody know what the upcharge is? If its only a few bucks then I don't mind paying for the convenience. For those that don't book through the cruise line, how exactly does that work? When you can ashore is there a tourist booth selling excursions? Can you get excursions that you normally can't through the cruise line?

The cruise line fees are in fact higher than some of the deals you may find out there from a local tour operator.....BUT......

I'd rather pay more than show up LATE, missing ship's movement. Through an RCL excursion you're covered if the tour returns late and misses the ship. But you take a risk going through private excursions and I witnessed it on last year's med. Ten people missed movement due to a late tour operator. They were not covered and had to pay to get a way to the next port.

Our experience on those few ship excursions that we can find from a third party is that the difference in price can be significant, 50% - 100% is not uncommon. The third party excursions are typically less crowded too.

Most of the third party excursions we book are via website.

We do both. Through the cruise line (on line ahead of time) and private tours (also booked online ahead of time).

We are just very careful which ones, and which ports we book via private operators. Prefer RCI tours in places like Belize, Roatan, Dominca, Antiqua, etc.

In Cozumel, we feel totally safe booking popular excursions such as Nachi Cocum, or Maya Chan at port of Costa Maya.

I agree with above. Although I have only ever booked through RCI, I know I see a lot who don't. Most of those people usually just go to an all inclusive resort for the day and get a taxi when they need it. I would recommend visiting the boards for those specific ports of call and see what other vendors people use who are trustworthy. I don't know how reliable it is to walk off the ship and buy an excursion. I would recommend research when going to another country. Happy Sailing.

I agree with above. Although I have only ever booked through RCI, I know I see a lot who don't. Most of those people usually just go to an all inclusive resort for the day and get a taxi when they need it. I would recommend visiting the boards for those specific ports of call and see what other vendors people use who are trustworthy. I don't know how reliable it is to walk off the ship and buy an excursion. I would recommend research when going to another country. Happy Sailing.

Many times the resort for a day is more expensive than a beach tour booked via RCL.

I examine both, private & RCL. I also get ideas from the specific "port of call" section of Cruise Critic. For instance, in Barbados we went directly the Barbados Hilton and purchased day's beach pass for $55 each. Beautiful resort and included lunch and a cocktail. Worth every penny. Taxi was $4 per each way.

I more often than not purchase our excursions through a private vendor. We get such personalized service. For instance, in Grand Cayman, the ship's tour is so crowded. We went with a private operator and his boat held 12. We all got ample time to hold the stingrays.

I start researching on Cruise Critic Ports of Call Boards and look for recommendations. Then I also look up these operators on Trip Advisor to see the ratings and comments. If they are 5 star, and recommended on Cruise Critic, then I feel they are worth trying.

If an island is sketchy - has a State Dept advisory, or the island is so big there is a chance you won't be back in time, then I would go with a ship's tour. It is whatever you feel comfortable with.

Many times the resort for a day is more expensive than a beach tour booked via RCL.

I examine both, private & RCL. I also get ideas from the specific "port of call" section of Cruise Critic. For instance, in Barbados we went directly the Barbados Hilton and purchased day's beach pass for $55 each. Beautiful resort and included lunch and a cocktail. Worth every penny. Taxi was $4 per each way.

Costa Maya...Maya Chan (all inclusive, lunch, unlimited drinks, all beach toys) is 50.00 a person, and includes transportation. Not an RCI excursion, very high travel site ratings. ;)

Like anything, you have to shop around.

Last August for Bermuda was looking at some diving and SNUBA packages. RCI price was actually LESS than the tour operator direct. Only $5 - $10, but less.

Other tours are substantially less booking direct.

Like anything, you have to shop around.

Last August for Bermuda was looking at some diving and SNUBA packages. RCI price was actually LESS than the tour operator direct. Only $5 - $10, but less.

Other tours are substantially less booking direct.

We have booked both ways. You do need to check which tour is going to the sites you really want to see. My husband and I are booking a tour with Spain Day Tours again ( in Palma). - Duration of tour: approx. 8 hours subject to actual arrival and departure times

- Price: 69 Euros per person

- Type of tour: Small group tour of 10-18 persons. Check it out.:)

In my experience, the cost of the Royal Caribbean excursions is twice as expensive as the independently booked ones. For example, I have a hike booked with an independent operator for $69/person. The same hike is $119/person through Royal.

I look at the port boards on Cruise Critic for tour operators that are recommended by a lot of cruisers over the course of at least a year (or more). I then check reviews for that same operator on Trip Advisor. I try to read Trip Advisor reviews that go all the way back to 2 or 3 years to see consistency (Trip Advisor reviews include people who have used those operators that weren’t on a cruise, that’s why I like to rely more on Trip Advisor). If they get good reviews, I feel comfortable that they are a legitimate and professional tour operator. So far I have had great experience with this.

The first time I booked an independent operator was because I needed a last minute tour after the one we booked through Royal abandoned a whole boatload of us on accident. Royal refunded our money, and we found an operator who was rounding up last minute excursion seekers on the dock. He charged us half the cost we had paid to Royal. The Royal tour we had booked had at least 60 people on it (because 30 of us got left behind), and the new tour we booked (at half the price) had about 12 people total.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The savings vary. But if the independent tour is MORE than what Royal Caribbean charges, then go with Royal Caribbean.

However, i was able to compare two recent memory excursions where I went independent.

In Jamaica, I was actually aged barred from doing the Bob Marley Tour with Royal Caribbean (step kids love Bob Marley and it was the only excursion that we all agreed upon), so I went looking independently. The cruise wanted 100/person for this excursion. I got a PRIVATE tour for the 4 of us, for 240 TOTAL. About 40% off and a much higher quality excursion experience in my opinion. We were able to tailor our excursion to exactly what we wanted. I should also note that this was probably the BEST excursion I've ever had.

In Charleston, SC, I wanted to go to Fort Sumter. Royal Caribbean wanted $110.00. Although the excursion included a short city tour that ended with a trip to Fort Sumter. The Fort Sumter portion was 75% of the time of the full excursion time. I went to Fort Sumter for $22.00.

In general, it varies on what you want. Some things, companies are barred from selling to cruise line because that's part of their contract. Others, maybe similar in price.

Personally, I prefer to book independently if i can. I do keep in mind that the ship will wait for me if the excursion is late, but I have never had a late excursion in my 18 cruises. That being said, analyze what you want to do. If the excursion requires additional logistics out of your control, book through the cruise line. For example, excursions on the mainland off the coast of Cozumel require the use of that ferry. I would NEVER trust the Ferry independently.

But if its a simple taxi ride, or bus ride, go independent. Keep vigilance over the time, and if it starts to run close, demand to return to the ship, or find alternate transport back. Also remember this, any tour company that causes a passenger to miss their ship for any reason, will probably go out of business. So if you do go independent, research the company. If there is little or no history, you might want to avoid that company. but most companies will have reviews on Tripadvisor or similar sites.