Flights - What would you do

bethc24

Okay, I've been procrastinating booking flights for our late July cruise to Alaska. Debating between booking through HAL or booking on my own. Booking on my own seems to be cheaper by about $45 per person (traveling with 5 people).

1. Is it better to have the peace of mind that HAL will guarantee you help if something were to happen with flight schedules?
  2. We have two options - flying into Vancouver the day before our cruise: leaving from Milwaukee - leave at 7am arrive in Portland at 9:30am and wait for our flight from Portland to Vancouver leaving at 4:30? This at least gets us to the West Coast and gives us all day to figure out how to get there if there's flight issues and only 6 hr drive to Vancouver if something happens once in Portland.

or

Also flying in day before: Leave Milwaukee at 4:30 fly nonstop to Seattle get to Seattle about 6:30 and have an 8:45 flight to Vancouver. -this doesn't leave us much wiggle room if there are flight issues.

What would you do? I've never been nervous for booking flights the day before cruises before, but for some reason this Alaska trip has me going crazy!! TIA

Edited by bethc24

If the price difference between HAL's price and the price booking on your own, I would choose HAL.

I also recommend arriving in Vancouver a day before your cruise. A hotel stay will add to your cost, of course, but Vancouver has so much to do/see that a day's stay will add to the enjoyment of your cruise.

I know you are looking for cost-sensitive options, but if you can swing an overnight in the Pan Pacific hotel right at the cruise terminal where you can have breakfast looking at YOUR ship, this would mean coming a day ahead of time. That would be my own choice having left from Vancouver once.

The City of Vancouver make it really easy to get from the airport to downtown on the metro, and the dock side hotels. It is a super way to start your trip with no worries or hassles the next day getting to the ship on time. This gives you an extra night of good sleep to help work off the mini-jet lag between these two time zones. Something that makes the price differences worth it, in an intangible way.

We found booking with HAL FlightEase as competitive as many other flight search options when we needed a RT to Seattle. And that extra "insurance" bonus is nice, considering how many flight disruptions we read about for all sorts of reason.

Half the fun is the planning, right?

I know you are looking for cost-sensitive options, but if you can swing an overnight in the Pan Pacific hotel right at the cruise terminal where you can have breakfast looking at YOUR ship, this would mean coming a day ahead of time. That would be my own choice having left from Vancouver once.

The City of Vancouver make it really easy to get from the airport to downtown on the metro, and the dock side hotels. It is a super way to start your trip with no worries or hassles the next day getting to the ship on time. This gives you an extra night of good sleep to help work off the mini-jet lag between these two time zones. Something that makes the price differences worth it, in an intangible way.

We found booking with HAL FlightEase as competitive as many other flight search options when we needed a RT to Seattle. And that extra "insurance" bonus is nice, considering how many flight disruptions we read about for all sorts of reason.

Half the fun is the planning, right?

We've stayed at the Pan numerous times and it's a stunning hotel. Breakfast buffet (extra cost, unless you book the "Cruise Special, which also includes the hotel taking your luggage directly to the ship) is very good and the view is lovely. However, it is very expensive compared to other hotels downtown that are still quite close to the terminal. If the OP is looking to save money, this hotel would not be their first choice.

For the small cost difference I would book with HAL just in case. I would go a day or even two early. Vancouver is great. We have spent a lot of time there in the last few years and the food is amazing! Lots to see and do.

The Coast Coal Harbour is a beautiful hotel walking distance from the port. There are also more reasonable hotels further out like the Best Western uptown, a taxi from there would likely be around 20$.

I would choose option #2. With the $45 x 5 people you will have money for a fun dinner in Vancouver when you arrive. I don't know how far from downtown Portland the airport is but Portland gets rave reviews and it would be fun to uber in and have lunch before your flight to Vancouver. Cherie

If it's a one way cruise, then HAL can't do diddly squat to help you if you are delayed enough to miss boarding: every other port is US, so the cruise would become illegal! If it's a Vancouver RT, then they could legally fly you on to the next port since you'd be effectively doing a US-Canada cruise.

Given the choice between a tight window in Seatac (a pretty horrible airport) and several hours in PDX (an absolute joy by US standards - great resto and bar choices and the only airport carpet in the word with it's own Twitter feed!) I'd do the latter hands-down. If you're up for the risk, downtown is a $5 Day Pass away on the MAX light rail, ~45mins away if you ride right to the heart of downtown.

I'd consider going in a day early--the airfare could also be less--and book on your own and use that $250 you save for your accommodations for the night. If you must go in the day of, then book the air with HAL for a little extra safety. Travel insurance would also be a good idea.

Agree with everyone who says to come in a day....or two early. No worries about flight delays and time to see the beautiful city of Vancouver. We found a reasonably priced hotel downtown and did sightseeing from there.

I would definitely arrive the day before. Anything could happen to delay making the cruise. This gives you time to address any issues such as customs, delayed flight, lost luggage, etc and allow you to explore Portland which is beautiful. True HAL will hold the ship until people who paid their travel plan, but it is expensive. I would rather take that money and explore a great city but I can’t stand same day flights too much stress. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Alaska is a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But all of OP's proposals involved arriving the day before. So what was the question?

The question was whether to go through Portland and have more time to get to Vancouver if there's an issue or go through Seattle and have no options if that flight is canceled. Also, whether to book through HAL or on my own.

to make it short,book through HAL. Twice the airline canceled fights, we were going the day before boarding. We got to port in time (barely). We were reimbursed for our hotel stay that we missed by HAL . They must have pulled all kind of strings to get us on the first flight in the morning. The airline paid for the hotel stay. TWICE.

I would be too uncomfortable if I did not book air and hotel through HAL