Any success bringing your own sealed/packaged bottled water on GETAWAY?

mickeychicky

True.

81 years ago smoking during pregnancy, particularly early on, wasn't a big deal either.

Feet were x-rayed at shoe shops for fitting purposes.

Lead was in petrol, paint, and pencils.

Times progress.

But water is still water. Di Hydrogen Monoxide.

I am a bit confused, what is this sudden passion for only bottled water? Did you all grow up drinking only bottled water? I do admit we buy it cause it is easy to carry a bottle around so we are inclined to drink more which is healthy, but we don't really feel the need to break the rules by smuggling it onto the ship or anywhere else? Do most of you think you are getting bottled water in a restaurant? Ok, so you, OP feel you need to have a particular kind, well again keep in mind you are breaking the rules that the company has set up.

For us, we just bring an empty bottle on board or better, because of our platinum status we get a bottle in our cabin and we keep filling it. Yes, with tap water. Has tap water killed us yet, nope and we are both 81 years old.;)

(1) My plan wasn't to "smuggle" so not sure where that came from. I was asking if anyone has been successful carrying it on with them. Don't want to even bring it if its just going to get taken. And yes, it is my "preference" for a particular type of water.

(2) All of us can't be PLATINUM "status" because we actually work 60 hours a week and can't cruise 10 times a year so we don't have that luxury of having a $3 bottle "given" to us. I can bring my own thank you.

(3) to the next person, I do read the FAQ's all the time. And FAQ's aren't always followed by the cruise lines. There are lines that say no outside soda, water, etc allowed to be brought on. However, these rules are not always followed by security when checking in.

Let's all relax with the "where do think that water comes from when you brush your teeth or drink your coffee/tea, or when you ask for it in a restaurant" comments! I have a preference, and was asking a simple question. Doesn't require a lot of uptight people making smart @ss comments. SCROLL ON......

Everyone has an opinion, and you know what they say about that :confused:

True.

81 years ago smoking during pregnancy, particularly early on, wasn't a big deal either.

Times progress.

Also, 81 years ago, people drank from the tap or the well because marketing hadn’t discovered that putting tap water in a plastic bottle with a cute name would make people pay more for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I order my water so it is in my cabin when I arrive on the ship. Maybe rethinking that now...This was released today:

Tests on major brands of bottled water have found that nearly all of them contained tiny particles of plastic.

In the largest investigation of its kind, 250 bottles bought in nine different countries were examined.

Research led by journalism organisation Orb Media discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per litre, each larger than the width of a human hair.

Companies whose brands were tested told the BBC that their bottling plants were operated to the highest standards.

The tests were conducted at the State University of New York in Fredonia.

Sherri Mason, a professor of chemistry at the university, conducted the analysis and told BBC News: "We found [plastic] in bottle after bottle and brand after brand.

"It's not about pointing fingers at particular brands; it's really showing that this is everywhere, that plastic has become such a pervasive material in our society, and it’s pervading water - all of these products that we consume at a very basic level."

Currently, there is no evidence that ingesting very small pieces of plastic (microplastics) can cause harm, but understanding the potential implications is an active area of science.

I order my water so it is in my cabin when I arrive on the ship. Maybe rethinking that now...This was released today:

Tests on major brands of bottled water have found that nearly all of them contained tiny particles of plastic.

In the largest investigation of its kind, 250 bottles bought in nine different countries were examined.

Research led by journalism organisation Orb Media discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per litre, each larger than the width of a human hair.

Companies whose brands were tested told the BBC that their bottling plants were operated to the highest standards.

Sherri Mason, a professor of chemistry at the university, conducted the analysis and told BBC News: "We found [plastic] in bottle after bottle and brand after brand.

"It's not about pointing fingers at particular brands; it's really showing that this is everywhere, that plastic has become such a pervasive material in our society, and it’s pervading water - all of these products that we consume at a very basic level."

Currently, there is no evidence that ingesting very small pieces of plastic (microplastics) can cause harm, but understanding the potential implications is an active area of science.

If that alarms you make sure you don't investigate what is in a hot dog.

I emailed NCL to get permission to bring a bottle of sugar free coffee syrup because I'm diabetic. I received permission and they said that Water was also allowed to be brought. No soda though I also asked to bring diet COKE and was told NO/

It's an interesting study. Thanks for the link to the original! So often you can only find media articles that start out with a thesis and bend the study's results to the conclusion that will generate the most clicks.

It's important to note that they conducted the study because they found plastic particles in tap water. The bottled water in plastic bottles had twice as many plastic particles for the one type of plastic they checked ... larger particles. "Thus, only our data on particles >100 um is comparable to the data in this previoustap water study." Page 13. Where it also says:

As polypropylene was themost common polymer found, the fragments could also be breaking off the cap, even enteringthe water through the simple act of opening the bottle.

We're talking about very small amounts of plastic. This might alarm someone that thinks plastic particles in water are the most dangerous thing that can be in your water. I don't have the tap water study, but I suspect that, like most tap water, it contained harmful chemicals not found in bottled water that is extensively filtered. My community's tap water has several chemicals known to cause cancer in amounts above the EPA thresholds. And some of you who researched drinking water were shocked to find out my state recycles sewer water into the potable water supplies (but it is treated to be safe, getting all the poo out first, they say).

And there's the hysterical media story I mentioned above. Didn't take long for it to appear, did it?

It's always instructive to read what the researchers actually wrote because it is often so at odds with what the media says it wrote.

True.

Times progress.

There is no way smoking and bottled water can be compared. :confused::odon't believe me, ask your primary care doctor and you will get the same answer I am sure: water is water and it probably makes little difference in most regions where you are getting it, but there isn't a doctor in this country that would suggest smoking is just smoking, go ahead and enjoy.