Any success bringing your own sealed/packaged bottled water on GETAWAY?

mickeychicky

I bring my own bottled water from home already cold. No need for ice.
Bottom line, you will need to either purchase bottle water onboard the ship, drink the ship's water, drink something else or cruise on a line that will allow you to bring water onboard, as you will not be allowed to bring water on the ship either at embarkation or port stops. Edited by NLH Arizona

I drink Nestle's purified water at home. Our local municipal water tastes awful.

https://www.nestlepurelife.com/us/en/water-purification-process

Really quite funny. Many of their "steps" have nothing to do with the quality of the water, like "labeling". Most of the steps are the exact same ones that nearly every bottled water company does, i.e. use a RO filter. RO filters will always have some form of pre-filter, whether sand or activated carbon to keep the membranes from clogging, so that's not unique. And then they admit that they "add minerals", so how is this "pure" water?

Really quite funny. Many of their "steps" have nothing to do with the quality of the water, like "labeling". Most of the steps are the exact same ones that nearly every bottled water company does, i.e. use a RO filter. RO filters will always have some form of pre-filter, whether sand or activated carbon to keep the membranes from clogging, so that's not unique. And then they admit that they "add minerals", so how is this "pure" water?
Nestle buys their bottled water from a municipality in Ontario. There was a big brouhaha last year because they were only paying $3.71 per million liters. And no, that's not a typo, they were paying less than four bucks for a million liters of water. They're now paying just over five hundred.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All this worry where water comes from or how it's packaged or the tap it comes from.

Wonder what foods you eat while on board, and you might not want to think about that hot tub and the people that sit in it for hours and seemingly never need to pee!!

I'll take the water from the tap, I'd trust it over some city water that people trust to cook, wash food, dishes etc in.

As for certain uses. NCL will provide a sealed gallon of water to your room for medical use.

I know we aren't allowed to bring out own water onboard...however out of my 6 cruises only ONE confiscated my Zephyrhills packaged water.

Has anyone been successful with getting thru security on the GETAWAY in Miami with their own water?

Thanks!

It is called ship rules, and they are not to be broken. End of story!!!!!

I'm with you. The water out of the faucet exceeds standards that city water systems have to comply with.

Did you know that ships out of Miami bunker water? (Big blue hoses running from the “fire hydrants” to the ship - fill ‘er up). So that the water that comes out of the faucet is the water from the Miami city water system? And that some ships like the Sky bunker 100% of their water?

Did you know that ships out of Miami bunker water? (Big blue hoses running from the “fire hydrants” to the ship - fill ‘er up). So that the water that comes out of the faucet is the water from the Miami city water system? And that some ships like the Sky bunker 100% of their water?
didnt know this.

didnt know this.

It all depends on the ship's itinerary, as to whether it has enough time at sea to make all the water needed for the cruise. Water cannot be made within 12 miles of shore. Shore water loaded in port, must meet EPA requirements for safe drinking water, at the hydrant being used, not just a test of the municipal supply, and be tested, at the hydrant, within the last month. The water is also chlorinated prior to going into the ship's tanks, and must be segregated, and not used, until a coliform bacteria test is completed, and this takes 18-24 hours, which is another reason that the ship's prefer making water to bunkering water, as made water is available for use immediately.

All cruise ships bunker water when in just about any port. That's because A) they cannot make water in port per local rules, and B) they still need to use water...thus the hoses connecting to the port's water supply. That being said, almost all cruise ships make their own water while at sea, and the processes they use are FAR superior to most all municipality water supplies.

If you don't like the flavor, feel free to buy a water package on the ship. If you're fearful of the health impact of the water, I'm surprised that you'd eat the food or touch any of the surfaces of the ship for fear of contamination.

All cruise ships bunker water when in just about any port. That's because A) they cannot make water in port per local rules, and B) they still need to use water...thus the hoses connecting to the port's water supply. That being said, almost all cruise ships make their own water while at sea, and the processes they use are FAR superior to most all municipality water supplies.

If you don't like the flavor, feel free to buy a water package on the ship. If you're fearful of the health impact of the water, I'm surprised that you'd eat the food or touch any of the surfaces of the ship for fear of contamination.

Few statements I take exception to here. First off, not "ALL" cruise ships bunker water in port, the watermaking capacity of all cruise ships is designed to exceed the daily usage, so that extra water can be stored for in port times. Do you think that the water goes directly from the hose on the dock, or the evaporator at sea, to your sink or shower? Not likely. All ships will store 3-5 days water usage in their fresh water tanks. Plus, as I've said, water bunkered in port must be kept segregated and not used for 18-24 hours until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative. As I've said, I've worked ships that don't need to take on any water from shore, and some that need to top up. It all depends on itinerary. Transatlantics will not take any water from shore, while the POA in Hawaii, which only spends 60 hours a week at sea (35% of the cruise), needs to take water in each port.

And water will not be taken on "in just about any port", because the water must meet the EPA requirements and have been tested to confirm these requirements within the last month, or the ship cannot load the water. Many island ports, and even some US ports do not want the hassle of monthly testing, so they will not provide potable water, even though it is the same water the residents drink.

As for being "far superior" to municipal supplies, that has nothing to do with the processes. The water made onboard benefits from not having ground water contaminants in the aquifer, and not having water pipes buried in the earth. Is the water made onboard less contaminated than most municipal supplies, yes, but that is strictly due to where the water is coming from. Does the water made onboard have less sodium than most municipal supplies, yes, because municipalities don't RO their water to remove the salt that is present from street runoff.

I know we aren't allowed to bring out own water onboard...however out of my 6 cruises only ONE confiscated my Zephyrhills packaged water.

Has anyone been successful with getting thru security on the GETAWAY in Miami with their own water?

Thanks!

Just follow the rules and you will be fine. Curious if you drink coffee or ice tea on board?

Few statements I take exception to here. First off, not "ALL" cruise ships bunker water in port, the watermaking capacity of all cruise ships is designed to exceed the daily usage, so that extra water can be stored for in port times. Do you think that the water goes directly from the hose on the dock, or the evaporator at sea, to your sink or shower? Not likely. All ships will store 3-5 days water usage in their fresh water tanks. Plus, as I've said, water bunkered in port must be kept segregated and not used for 18-24 hours until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative. As I've said, I've worked ships that don't need to take on any water from shore, and some that need to top up. It all depends on itinerary. Transatlantics will not take any water from shore, while the POA in Hawaii, which only spends 60 hours a week at sea (35% of the cruise), needs to take water in each port.

And water will not be taken on "in just about any port", because the water must meet the EPA requirements and have been tested to confirm these requirements within the last month, or the ship cannot load the water. Many island ports, and even some US ports do not want the hassle of monthly testing, so they will not provide potable water, even though it is the same water the residents drink.

As for being "far superior" to municipal supplies, that has nothing to do with the processes. The water made onboard benefits from not having ground water contaminants in the aquifer, and not having water pipes buried in the earth. Is the water made onboard less contaminated than most municipal supplies, yes, but that is strictly due to where the water is coming from. Does the water made onboard have less sodium than most municipal supplies, yes, because municipalities don't RO their water to remove the salt that is present from street runoff.

Interesting....thanks for posting...

I am a bit confused, what is this sudden passion for only bottled water? Did you all grow up drinking only bottled water? I do admit we buy it cause it is easy to carry a bottle around so we are inclined to drink more which is healthy, but we don't really feel the need to break the rules by smuggling it onto the ship or anywhere else? Do most of you think you are getting bottled water in a restaurant? Ok, so you, OP feel you need to have a particular kind, well again keep in mind you are breaking the rules that the company has set up.

For us, we just bring an empty bottle on board or better, because of our platinum status we get a bottle in our cabin and we keep filling it. Yes, with tap water. Has tap water killed us yet, nope and we are both 81 years old.;)

I am a bit confused, what is this sudden passion for only bottled water? Did you all grow up drinking only bottled water? I do admit we buy it cause it is easy to carry a bottle around so we are inclined to drink more which is healthy, but we don't really feel the need to break the rules by smuggling it onto the ship or anywhere else? Do most of you think you are getting bottled water in a restaurant? Ok, so you, OP feel you need to have a particular kind, well again keep in mind you are breaking the rules that the company has set up.

For us, we just bring an empty bottle on board or better, because of our platinum status we get a bottle in our cabin and we keep filling it. Yes, with tap water. Has tap water killed us yet, nope and we are both 81 years old.;)

Exactly!

Everyone needs to remember what "Evian" spelled backwards is.

True.

81 years ago smoking during pregnancy, particularly early on, wasn't a big deal either.

Feet were x-rayed at shoe shops for fitting purposes.

Lead was in petrol, paint, and pencils.

Times progress.