Spring Break on Cruise Ships

Beach Life 1

I think spring break is general in March for colleges. In the northeast Grades K-12 have spring break mid April. That’s when we’re cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed....had a Spring Break Carnival cruise several years ago. Service bad, cleanliness (lack thereof) was poor, etc.

Doesn’t matter the cruise line...Spring Break is a challenge for all of them.

I would never cruise during spring break. I have no sympathy for people whose cruise was "ruined" by spring breakers.. just do a tiny bit of research, and avoid booking during spring break. Pretty simple.

We have cruised during Spring break many times and will do so again next week. Love the party atmosphere! We were young once and and young at heart.

I would never cruise during spring break. I have no sympathy for people whose cruise was "ruined" by spring breakers.. just do a tiny bit of research, and avoid booking during spring break. Pretty simple.

I agree, except I'd say anyone with internet access doesn't have an excuse. I tried PC and Mac, different browsers, etc. Google has Cruise Critic as the top hit (or their ad) pretty much always. 1-2 minutes of research is enough to get your warnings about Spring Break.

People who like or want to cruise during spring break are out of their minds or didn't do their homework. Yeah, nothing says relaxing vacation like a bunch of drunk rowdy kids overflowing the bar and pools ........ I have two little ones and am not that old and that's the last "atmosphere" I want to be in.

I'm on the Escape right now and don't have a big choice as to when I cruise since I work at a university and need to go during our spring break. The only place I felt crowded was the pool deck which was pretty busy, but it's also extremely loud with the band playing so I would have avoided it anyway. The only rude people I've encountered were on shore excursions, one at the buffet at an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica when two guys were yelling at each other at the fish station, and then a bunch of loud drunk college kids in the back of our taxi in Grand Cayman yesterday from Freedom of the Seas. I will say I am glad I got the spa pass this trip because today it's a little cold and windy out today, so the spot has been a nice relaxing place away from any possible crowds. My 15 year old son is already trying to plan our next cruise and he's asking for Bliss. I asked if he wanted to try another line, he said no he loves Norwegian so I guess we'll be on another spring break cruise in a year or two.

People who like or want to cruise during spring break are out of their minds or didn't do their homework. Yeah, nothing says relaxing vacation like a bunch of drunk rowdy kids overflowing the bar and pools ........ I have two little ones and am not that old and that's the last "atmosphere" I want to be in.

We love to sail during spring break. The ship is alive and full of energy. (Even though our university days ended many, many decades ago)

The northeast predominantly has spring break the week before or the week after Easter for high school and below. This is done to accommodate Easter and Passover. This year it's the week after Easter or the week of April 1 ...

Disclaimer: some areas have spring break to coordinate with Patriots Day around April 19 give or take

We are cruising on Spring Break this year - which we normally do, as we are both teachers. In our area of NY(Central NY), most schools are on Spring Break the week of April 22nd. It's actually done that way to align with NYS Testing. Several of our friends - also teachers, will be on the first Escape to Bermuda run that week, along with our families. However, the colleges in our area are all on Spring Break this week through Easter, so there will most likely be fewer college aged kids.

We just got off the Norwegian SKY last week out of MIA on a Bahama 5 day. Yes, it was 85% kids. Having said that, it was pretty crazy; very different than any cruise we took before. The 2:30am screaming in the halls, throwing up, and the most disturbing thing was the swearing. Language. F words. From GIRLS. At dinner, in the specialty restaraunts even. WTH is wrong with kids today? Is there NO respect or dignity? In the main dining room - F bombs. Is that the norm now, to talk like that?

The lines for drinks and food were insane. There are several measures cruise companies could take to help this.

We noticed that if you sit down at the bar, rather than stand inline behind 15 22-year olds, the bar servers would help us right away. Plus, the servers and crew were visibly frustrated with the kids. It was a treat for them to serve us, and to get a thank you or a short conversation from us. They should make some of the restaraunts and lounges "designated apparel only"; so you don't get thong bikinis and shorts in what is normally a dark, quiet whiskey or martini lounge. Or perhaps had a designated "over 40" cabin deck.

The trip did not suck. Would I book it again? probably not. I'm sure a 7 day trip weeds out alot of these issues. But it is absolutley a different experience.

The F word is used very frequently. I agree its pretty common. I think I can tolerate that word though more than I can the word 'sucks'. I absolutley hate to hear that word and I have no idea why people use it so frequently, partiucutly adults who could subsitiute a more descriptive and less lazy catchall word.

I think spring break is general in March for colleges. In the northeast Grades K-12 have spring break mid April. That’s when we’re cruising.

college kids, yes, the first 2 weeks of March pretty much, but K-12 though out the US can be anytime from the middle of March to the middle of April. And there are kids sailing for spring break anytime through the middle of March. CA is usually the week prior to Easter, we have been on ships where spring break is always the week after Easter. Here in AR it was last week for some and next week for others. It is just best to stay away from those dates if possible.

college kids, yes, the first 2 weeks of March pretty much, but K-12 though out the US can be anytime from the middle of March to the middle of April. And there are kids sailing for spring break anytime through the middle of March. CA is usually the week prior to Easter, we have been on ships where spring break is always the week after Easter. Here in AR it was last week for some and next week for others. It is just best to stay away from those dates if possible.

In MA K-12 always has spring break the week of April 14. NH has it the week after us.

Considering a cruise the third week of February (2020) out of Miami (eastern Caribbean). Good/bad time to avoid spring breakers, plus is it good/bad weather?

That is a big vacation week for school in the northeast, but K-12 not colleges. So lots of families.

Wife and I are booked on Dawn out of Puerto Rico March 24-31, 2019. Since it is out of Puerto Rico and not the States (Miami/Tampa) I assumed we would have fewer Spring Breakers. Did I make a bad assumption??

I wouldn't assume anything.

Hyperbole much ?

I have cruised at least 10 times at Spring Break (I work for a school) - and never had an issue. Most were 7 day cruises, a few 10 or 11 day. None had overflowing bars and pools. One had some rowdiness but nothing out of hand

Sailing this weekend on a 7 day cruise - looking forward to it

Now a 3 or 4 day booze cruise will be a different story - but my experience with multiple spring break cruises has been fine

I love the drama in this post. I will be on the Getaway leaving Sunday and was on the Epic last Spring Break. Had a bunch of kids from Clemson on there with us and had a blast. Didn't see any issues and these kids actually were pretty respectful. They engaged my kids in conversation about the sports they play with no foul language. I have researched the heck out of this cruise and can't wait to go.

We were also AP holders at Disney and refuse to go back there. I have seen more drunk idiots at Epcot for their Food and Wine festival than I have anywhere else in my life. Nothing like seeing adults with "Drinking Around the World" shirts on and acting like fools. Talk about not wanting to expose kids to behavior like this. You can have that "atmosphere".

What research is that? Every school has a different spring break week anywhere from February through April. Do you mean that no one should vacation any time in the Spring?

As a general rule I have learned that children/teens/college aged kids traveling with parents or a small family group do not get as crazy as large groups of the same who are either old enough to travel on their own or only have a few chaperones for 100 plus kids. This is on a cruise or land based. Case in point...the worst nights sleep I ever had was in a room in a hotel with four young cheerleaders next door for a competition that had them four to a room with the chaperones down the hall. Screaming, laughing etc all night long. In contrast I came down to breakfast one morning and saw parents with their cheerleader daughters at another hotel and didn't even know they were in the hotel as they were all with their families. We cruised on the Gem in August out of NY and it was all families and the kids/teens weren't much bother at all. And there were hundreds of them! In contrast we were on a cruise with some college students, couldn't have been more than 50 of them but they were dancing in the aisles of the shows drunk and almost falling on people, running and screaming in the halls and carrying each other piggyback by the elevators so more could stuff in.

We just got off the Epic 4 nighter out of Orlando. Yes it was FULL of college spring breakers. Even doing research wouldn’t have helped me. I’m a teacher and can only go at a certain times and my husband could only take a few days off. So with that said, we are looking at next year and trying to do more research. We are looking at a 7 night out of San Juan. Is it safe to assume this won’t be full of spring breakers?

Thank you

This is our first time on this ship and the only thing we have to compare it to is our 1st cruise on the Oasis. Both were completely sold out cruises. Oasis rarely, if ever, felt crowded and on Breakaway it is hard to escape the crowds. It seems like you are constantly fighting your way through people to get anywhere. Just bad flow I would say. It is so loud everywhere!

The drunks, they are another issue all-together. There are lots of spring breakers on this cruise using all sorts of colorful language without any concern about little kids being around. Look, I am not a prude and swear like a sailor. But I do have respect around kids and families. These young adults couldn’t care less that there are 8 year olds in the elevator with them and they are “f this and f that” on a regular basis.

We are having a great time anyway because let’s face it, we are not at work. I guess there are just way more drunk people than I expected. There are lots of school age kids as well, but to be honest they mostly all much better behaved than the drunk parents and college kids.

I am going to have to agree with this.. just got off the escape... i cruised last year, the same exact week. expecting the WORST (because of spring break), and it was not 1/4 as bad as this year. The whole week felt like an over priced 7 day carnival booze cruise. We love to have fun and all, and the profanities I can handle (let’s face it, my son has probably heard every word there is to hear)..but after 3-4 days of the banging on walls and doors at 2-3-4am, drunk college kids piling in elevators and spilling booze all over, yelling off of balconies all hours of the day and night , random items flying over board (thank god it wasn’t people). The bars were not what-so-ever “adult” like. Neither were the pools... it was a college dance party /“twerk off” (which would have been a blast in my 20’s. LONG lines at the bar for drinks. I know everyone deserves to have fun, my only question is WHY didn’t NCL keep their on one side - or at least put families with kids AWAY from them? One of them actually told me there were over 250 from her school alone. I felt the crew was not totally at their best - but how can they be? They all looked frustrated .. I would have been too. .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you have any sympathy for the educators who can only cruise on spring break because it's our only time off? A tiny bit of research can't fix that...