Disney banned my service dog after allowing it

SeasRcalling

OP

If I was you I would be talking to a good lawyer about this under the american disability act of 1990 and the act for service dogs I'm sure you have been wronged here. Yes like others have said you should have read and understood all the information, but Disney needs to also be responsible here. And if a lawyer comes forward with any claim involving the ADA Disney will very quickly change the way they are handling this.

Many would just let this go I would not even if it means never using Disney Cruises again. Note to other members here be very careful what you post because the laws around this act to protect people are very strong, even a wrong post by a board member here can result in civil or criminal actions.

OP

If I was you I would be talking to a good lawyer about this under the american disability act of 1990 and the act for service dogs I'm sure you have been wronged here. Yes like others have said you should have read and understood all the information, but Disney needs to also be responsible here. And if a lawyer comes forward with any claim involving the ADA Disney will very quickly change the way they are handling this.

Many would just let this go I would not even if it means never using Disney Cruises again. Note to other members here be very careful what you post because the laws around this act to protect people are very strong, even a wrong post by a board member here can result in civil or criminal actions.

Before going the legal route, folks need to understand one important fact about the ADA and foreign flag cruise ships. In the findings of the SCOTUS case "Spector v NCL", the court did find that the cruise lines had to meet the ADA with regards to allowing disabled people to book cruises, to provide accessible cabins, and to meet "reasonably attainable" accessibility to all areas of the ship (with SOLAS overruling ADA where necessary). However, the court added that barring specific language from Congress, that the foreign flag ship's "internal policies and procedures" do not fall under the ADA. There is one and only one large ocean-going cruise ship that is required to be fully compliant with the ADA, and that is NCL's Pride of America, as a US flag vessel. In the years since "Spector", Congress has not acted to amend the ADA to include specific language regarding foreign flag cruise ships. This is not speculation or opinion, it is a fact from the court's findings. Now, whether this clause fits the OP's case or not is one that a jurist would need to look at.

Without going into all of the "he said/she said" of whether or not the OP got wrong information from the cruise line, or whether they failed to research this on their own, it is a fact that when a ship, any ship, clears customs and immigration in any port, the ship, its crew, passengers, cargo, and all possessions of the crew and passengers are considered to be in the "port state", whether it or they are on the ship or ashore in port. International law allows the "port state" laws jurisdiction over the "flag state" when the "safety, security, and well being" of the port may be impacted, on the ship.

Again, without going into the weeds of who said what, Disney was correct in denying passage to the dog without proper documentation. I don't believe that any cruise line allows service dogs to board without all documentation, and there is no exemption for staying on the vessel. Bahamian law clearly states that the permitting process for bringing animals into the Bahamas extends to service and support animals, and the OP stated they knew this.

Would still go the ADA route because it will get Disney's attention. Even if they know they would win they do not want the negative press. We all know "Hands Up Don't Shoot" which no law enforcement report ever prove to true.... But the truth doesn't matter... the PR image is what Disney will protect.

And while the OP was wrong, Disney should have provide better customer service so for that alone they need to feel some pain.

My family and I have been on at least three Disney cruises with our daughters' service dog. The first thing I did was research taking a service dog on a cruise. That research included this forum. The first thing I found out is that when you dock at a port, you are in that country and subject to their laws. I always obtained all the necessary permits. If you read this forum like you said you did, then you would have known this. And your dog was not almost killed. Just my two cents.

[...] But my issue is how come it’s not the same for other cruise lines? Right now someone who took their service dog on ten cruises with Royal or another company, had no issues not having the permit, then they book with Disney and get the all clear to bring the dog and then find out it’s not true. That frightens me!!! The law should be the same for all ships, just like for airlines, I wouldn’t think different airlines would have different laws.

it IS the same across ALL cruise lines. the COUNTRY is the one that requires it and as such all cruise lines must abide by the same restrictions. no country will take your word for it that you will not get off the ship, hence the need to have the visa no matter what.

and yes airlines DO each have different policies WRT to service animals( and ESAs) domestic and foreign flights.

OP

You state OP should have read and understood the information, but then say Disney is responsible? Responsible for what? Doesn't OP have any responsibility for herself?

According to OP's story, Disney is not in violation of the ADA and Disney is a corporation that isn't going to cave because they receive a threat of litigation.

Note to other members here be very careful what you post because the laws around this act to protect people are very strong, even a wrong post by a board member here can result in civil or criminal actions.
What does that even mean? What would a "wrong post" be? OP has posted some "wrong" information. What legal entity is going to bring criminal action against her? What could be said in a post that would be an actionable cause for a civil suit? Who would have standing to bring such a claim?

First of all, when you agree to the cruise contract (does anyone actually read it?) you agree to settle any disagreement/grievance by arbitration, not legal action.

OP was shopping around. She knew the regulations, but shopped until she got someone to say she didn't need all the documentation for the Bahamas. She ran with that and got burned. She says she read the long thread here about service dogs. But there is a lot in there about the Bahamas. Still shopping around? Ignore what you don't want to hear? EM

Then I am surprised, because just in the last few pages of this thread, a poster clearly states that even if you aren't getting off the ship, to enter Bahamian waters, you need an import permit for your dog.

Are you referring to my thread? If so, then yes, I am that traveler that is informing people “need permit even if not getting off”. If you are referring to a different thread here in cruise critic, then you are proving my point 100%

It is absurd, that any person should have to google if what they are being told by trained staff of a company is true or not, they should not have to read tons of everyday customers experience to get the facts! The above quote should be made part of the policy on the cruise ship website and part of the training of staff!!! This is exactly what I was trying to convey to the executive in charge of complaints. Once I got the all clear to board with the service dog, that’s was enough for me. No one should have to hang up the phone after getting the 100% all clear and use Google to read through hours worth of posts to make sure they are being told the truth. (I spent hours reading through these threads prior, the only advice I found was to bring a sign that said “dog butts only, no cigarette butts” for the potty box, and other advice on what is used in the potty box)

May I ask how many times after you booked your cruise did you use Google to ensure what you were being told was the truth? Or did you do like millions of others, and call a company, be assured 100% everything is in order and all paperwork is done, and then anxiously await the day of your cruise? What I’m getting as replies is if you are able bodied you can book a cruise and trust what you are being told by the trained staff is true, but if you are disabled and have any special needs you can not trust what you are being told by the trained staff. If this is your resolution that people must start using Google to ensure a company policy is accurate, then we are doomed as a society! It’s not hard for Disney and other companies to include in their policy and on their website and inform all staff, “failure to obtain all documents for each and every port, regardless if you remain in the ship or not, will result in banning service animal from entering ship”. Why is that so hard? It would save so much time and heartache!

• Like 1

Regardless of what you feel is "ridiculous", the simple fact is that the Disney "terms and conditions" or "ticket contract" that you agree to when you book your cruise, if you read them as you should have, clearly states that it is the passenger's responsibility to obtain any and all clearances for a service animal. Despite their statement that "Disney Cruise Line is not responsible for your inability to visit a port of call due to your failure to comply with any such entry requirements." That means only that some countries may allow a service animal to stay onboard without a clearance, but obviously the Bahamas does not. Do you hold an airline responsible if they sell you a ticket for you and your service animal, and then you find out they didn't tell you the country you are flying to doesn't allow the dog? It is not their responsibility to ensure you have the proper travel documentation.

This is no different than if you needed a visa to visit a country, were told by a customer service agent that you didn't, and were denied boarding because of it. The cruise line has no responsibility to inform you of your travel document requirements in advance, any more than an airline does.

Are you referring to my thread? If so, then yes, I am that traveler that is informing people “need permit even if not getting off”. If you are referring to a different thread here in cruise critic, then you are proving my point 100%

It is absurd, that any person should have to google if what they are being told by trained staff of a company is true or not, they should not have to read tons of everyday customers experience to get the facts! The above quote should be made part of the policy on the cruise ship website and part of the training of staff!!! This is exactly what I was trying to convey to the executive in charge of complaints. Once I got the all clear to board with the service dog, that’s was enough for me. No one should have to hang up the phone after getting the 100% all clear and use Google to read through hours worth of posts to make sure they are being told the truth. (I spent hours reading through these threads prior, the only advice I found was to bring a sign that said “dog butts only, no cigarette butts” for the potty box, and other advice on what is used in the potty box)

May I ask how many times after you booked your cruise did you use Google to ensure what you were being told was the truth? Or did you do like millions of others, and call a company, be assured 100% everything is in order and all paperwork is done, and then anxiously await the day of your cruise? What I’m getting as replies is if you are able bodied you can book a cruise and trust what you are being told by the trained staff is true, but if you are disabled and have any special needs you can not trust what you are being told by the trained staff. If this is your resolution that people must start using Google to ensure a company policy is accurate, then we are doomed as a society! It’s not hard for Disney and other companies to include in their policy and on their website and inform all staff, “failure to obtain all documents for each and every port, regardless if you remain in the ship or not, will result in banning service animal from entering ship”. Why is that so hard? It would save so much time and heartache!

For goodness sake, you were speaking to a reservation agent and they said you could bring your dog on the ship. It is up to you to make sure you have all the proper paperwork (just like it is the responsibility of an able bodied person to make sure they have the correct visas, etc.), not the cruise line. You could have called their special services line prior to booking the cruise and I'm sure they would have assisted you. Disney does have all their rules with regard to service dogs on ships and what permits are need on their website, you just failed to read it. All the frustration, heartache and drama could have been avoided if you would have just read the rules for bringing a service dog on to a Disney cruise. Also, I'm surprised that the organization where you obtained your service dog didn't go over traveling with your dog in your training classes. My friend's husband said it was covered extensively in his training classes.

You say you spent hours reading through threads on here, did you read this one:

Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

beause there are many fine folks who would have been more than happy to help you with what your needs were?

Edited by NLH Arizona

OP

If I was you I would be talking to a good lawyer about this under the american disability act of 1990

I hate that as an adult, dealing with adults, an issue can not be addressed and handled like the adults we are, and in order to right the wrongs we must go through the process with an attorney. It is good advice to seek council, but I would much rather have this issue handled in an adult way. From what I read so far, that seems to be impossible. The attitude and responses I am getting are steered in the direction that anyone with a disability can not trust the word of trained staff of a company. When I traveled and used an electric wheelchair, I called the company (both airline and cruise) and spoke with the trained staff who answered the phone, I advised them I was bringing the electric chair, and never once, in all my years of traveling with the chair, did I ever have someone tell me, “can’t you do four days without your wheelchair”, never once did a company give me the 100% all clear to travel and then have me find out that wasn’t true, never once was I told that I would lose all the money I paid because the information given to me by trained staff was false. Why is it so different when it comes to a service animal? Why is it okay to ask a person, “can’t you go without your service animal for four days”, why does a trained member of special needs think it’s alright to make this statement? Would people feel different if he asked me to go four days without my wheelchair? I don’t understand why people feel it’s my responsibility to research what the policy is by using Google and reading posts on websites, instead of finding it conveniently on a company website. I asked the executive in charge of handling complaints to read me the policy regarding what happened to me, he couldn’t because it’s not stated. He read me the part if I was getting off in ports, and he agreed it’s not written if you don’t get off in ports what their policy is. He did agree this is a very serious issue, he did apologize on behalf of his staff, but his resolution to this very serious issue was to email me a copy of the same policy that caused the issue. I asked him, “so right now, a person can call in, even you sir can call in, book and pay for a cruise and get the 100% assurance that everything is in order by your staff, only to find out on the day of embarking, or not find out until you arrive at a port with no permit, that you were misled and it could have dire consequences by customs”, I am not okay with nothing changing! If he had told me “as soon as I hang up the phone, a memo will be sent out to all members instructing them that any special needs guest will be immediately transferred to the special needs department and then be given an authorization number from that department that they ensure all paperwork is completed and all documents are in order to prevent this from happening to someone else”, then that would have ended my complaint, I could have slept peacefully that night knowing this will never happen to anyone else. But that’s not what I was told, and I couldn’t sleep knowing someone could still get misleading information and then possibly have their service dog confinscated or worse!

As for being careful what I write, everything is documented through emails and taped phone conversations.

Even though I was told I would get no follow up regarding this situation, and in order to see if any changes were made as a result of my complaint I would have to check their website daily to read if changes were made. I still have faith in humanity and that when the executive in charge of complaints stated he would forward the complaint to other departments, I have faith that someone in one of those departments will have the courtesy to call me and update me that changes were made and assure me no one will ever go through what I went through. But all I can do now is pray that the next person who calls and is given the 100% all clear to travel uses Google and comes across this post and finds out before it’s too late they were misled.

You state OP should have read and understood the information, but then say Disney is responsible? Responsible for what? Doesn't OP have any responsibility for herself?

My responsibility ended when I was given the 100% all clear to board with the service animal. I did read their policy and it is flawed in regards to what I was told. Yes, it clearly states I am responsible for obtaining all permits. It does not state what happens if I do not obtain all permits. The only thing it states is that you can not hold them responsible for your failure to get off in a port you do not have a permit for. So with that, and talking for years with guests who remain onboard because they don’t have a permit, it leads me to believe that it’s acceptable to remain onboard, which is false. I can read the contract over and over and it does not state, “failure to obtain permits for ALL islands regardless if you exit in port or remain on the ship, will result in the service animal not being permitted to board on the day of embarkation”.

As for placing blame, I accept the blame that I did not have the permit for the Bahamas, that is 100% on me. What does the contract state if I don’t have the permit, it states I can not hold them responsible for being denied exiting in that port. I do not hold them responsible for not being allowed off in that port. What does it say about failing to obtain all permits for all the islands....nothing, it says nothing (this is what I’m trying to change).

Blame also goes to the trained staff who gave me the 100% all clear to board. This member assured me all the paperwork was filled out, even placed me on hold to fill it out. So my 100% blame and responsibility ended and was then transferred to the trained staff who gave me wrong information.

Blame also falls with the contract and policy, it’s very simple to add in and inform people failing to obtain permits for all islands regardless if you exit the ship in those ports will result in not being allowed to embark with service dog.

Blame also goes to the executive in charge of complaints. If he assured me there would be an immediate change, such as a quick memo to all staff to refer calls to their special needs department to ensure the passengers have all required documents, prior to giving them the 100% all clear to travel, then it would have resolved this issue and this thread would not have existed.

As I stated previously, if I had traveled with the dog on other cruises and remained onboard as others have done, I would have not asked if we could get off in the ports, I would not have been asked to call special needs to answer that question, I would not have spoken to the person who told me the dire consequences for not having the permit and remaining onboard. I would have been oblivious to the heartache that awaited me when I got to that port. That’s is why it is so important for me to inform others like me that if you don’t have all the permits for all the islands then don’t cruise!!! Don’t be misled by false information that it is okay to travel and no further paperwork is needed, permits are needed even if you don’t exit the ship.

• Like 1

First off, I don't believe there is anywhere in any policy or contract where it says anything about "getting off the ship." This is simply not understanding, and I'm not blaming you for this because it can be confusing, "enter" and "visit". When they say "enter" the country, that means clearing customs at the dock. When they say you may not be able to "visit" a country, it's the same as "enter." Not entirely blaming you for that.

Why is it that they ask if anyone in your party will be over so many weeks pregnant before they sell you the ticket? Because they want to prevent selling a ticket to someone who can not travel without documentation from a doctor regarding the pregnancy.

This is not a fair comparison. Here, you're comparing CRUISE LINE policy with the laws/policies of the country the ship is visiting. OBs routinely tell pregnant women that, barring complications, travel is safe up through Week 30. My wife's OB has said she wishes cruise lines allowed women to travel later in their pregnancy.

These are cruise line policies, so of course cruise line employees will be better versed in them.

Would still go the ADA route because it will get Disney's attention. Even if they know they would win they do not want the negative press. We all know "Hands Up Don't Shoot" which no law enforcement report ever prove to true.... But the truth doesn't matter... the PR image is what Disney will protect.

And while the OP was wrong, Disney should have provide better customer service so for that alone they need to feel some pain.

And this is everything that's wrong with society today. The "you're wrong, but sue anyway" approach. C'mon. Grow up and own some responsibility. (Not directed at you, OP, but society in general.)

For goodness sake, you were speaking to a reservation agent and they said you could bring your dog on the ship. It is up to you to make sure you have all the proper paperwork (just like it is the responsibility of an able bodied person to make sure they have the correct visas, etc.), not the cruise line. You could have called their special services line prior to booking the cruise and I'm sure they would have assisted you. Disney does have all their rules with regard to service dogs on ships and what permits are need on their website, you just failed to read it. All the frustration, heartache and drama could have been avoided if you would have just read the rules for bringing a service dog on to a Disney cruise. Also, I'm surprised that the organization where you obtained your service dog didn't go over traveling with your dog in your training classes. My friend's husband said it was covered extensively in his training classes.

You say you spent hours reading through threads on here, did you read this one:

Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

beause there are many fine folks who would have been more than happy to help you with what your needs were?

If they had all those rules, please show me where it states failure to get permits equal failure to board. Yes, it says I’m responsible for obtaining the permits, their staff is not responsible. Just like it’s my responsibility to obtain a valid passport, not the responsibility of their staff to obtain one for me. That I understand, I’m responsible for filling out and obtaining permits to exit in ports, my issue is I was not planning to exit in ports. So I look for any information on that subject and there is none, or maybe there is and someone can be so kind as to quote that for me. Actually there is info on remaining onboard without permits, and everything I read (and spoke to people who do) says it’s okay to remain onboard for islands you have no permits for. I even spoke to a man last month on Royal who remained onboard and had no permits for any of the islands. I took two cruises last month, one with Disney and one with Royal, we are aching to take another cruise this month, but I am petrified of not knowing if what I am told by trained staff is accurate. I can’t put my service dog in harms way with misleading information.

I believe I read Cruising With A Service Dog Everytning You need to know, on here, I recall a lot of talk about what they use for the potty box, I remember scrolling through hours of posts regarding the potty box. I recall reading a person rave about their cruise rep who obtained the permits for them, I’ve read about just remaining on board if they don’t have the permits, I have spoken to handlers onboard different ships who state they remain onboard in ports because there is too much of a hassle to get the permits. I have read the policy online for various cruise ships. Not once in all my reading and talking to others did I come across anyone, whether they were trained staff with a company or a handler of a dog, has anyone ever stated failure to get all permits for all islands will result in being denied to board on the first day of the cruise (until I spoke to the second person in special needs did I become aware of this) nor did I ever read or hear anyone mention failing to get permits may result in dog being confinscated or quarantined or destroyed.

This needs to be clearly stated in their contract and through trained staff, no one should have to rely on Google to try to come across this information. My goodness, my father is a perfect example of what’s I’m trying to convey, he takes a person for their word, if he had a service dog and he called and told them and they gave him the all clear to board and no further paperwork needed (except for the health certificate) then he would take their word for it, he has no idea how to use Google, and there is no reason for him or anyone to have to go online and search if what they are being told by trained staff is accurate!!! How many people don’t use the internet, they come across a billboard or a sign or a friend tells them to take a cruise, so they call the number for the cruise, they talk to the trained staff, they tell them they have a service dog, the trained staff books their cruise for them and tells them they are 100% clear for travel with the service dog and the person eagerly awaits the day of their cruise only to be either denied entry or meet a worse fate when arriving at a port without a permit. If that scenario was a headline in the news everyone would be crying that this man was wronged and misled into believing what the trained staff stated was accurate.

Was your friends husband told that they can not remain onboard as others have done and are still doing? I don’t believe they were. I recently found out in my talk with the special needs (the second one I spoke to that day) that there are four (I believe he said four or five) islands where I am not allowed to ever cruise to with a service dog. One of them he stated was Barbados, the other was either Greenland or Iceland I can not recall, and the others I have never heard of.

Don’t get me wrong, although I am highly upset by this trained member to be told “can’t you do without your service dog for four days”, I am forever grateful to him for informing me that there can be very severe consequences if I am allowed to board without permits for all the ports. My issue is it shouldn’t have taken speaking to five people to get that information, it should be clearly stated on their contract and clearly stated when they hear a guest say “I’m bringing a service dog”.

I give up, the OP is just going to rehash the same information over and over again, even though it was her responsibility and her mistake that she can't take her dog on the cruise.

In the many years of being on this site, this is the only poster that I've seen post about this issue, possibly others knew they needed to do research or make the appropriate calls in the first place.

Just keeping posting and calling and maybe the cruise line will give you what you want.

It doesn't matter if you are planning to exit in ports or not. Once the ship is at the dock, you are legally inside the borders of that other country, and subject to their regulations.

People get left at the dock frequently for not having the proper paperwork. It is always the passenger's responsibility to research the countries they are entering, and fulfill the entry requirements.

Don't be frightened of taking another cruise. Spend a few minutes researching exactly what permits each country requires - and fill those out. Your vet can probably help you with that. Seriously, anybody reading these forums has the necessary information at their fingertips.

I’m responsible for filling out and obtaining permits to exit in ports, my issue is I was not planning to exit in ports. So I look for any information on that subject and there is none

Again, I think you're missing the mark on all this -- and it has been explained several times in previous posts on this thread. You're not getting permits to exit in ports. Being on the ship, being off the ship. Doesn't matter. You're getting permits necessary just to dock at the pier.

If you have a substance that's illegal in a country, it's not suddenly legal for you to have it if you're docked at the pier but never get off the ship.

OP was shopping around. She knew the regulations, but shopped until she got someone to say she didn't need all the documentation for the Bahamas. She ran with that and got burned. She says she read the long thread here about service dogs. But there is a lot in there about the Bahamas. Still shopping around? Ignore what you don't want to hear? EM

Shopping around??? Do you honestly believe that I would put my health and safety at risk by having my service dog confinscated, or worse destroyed, if I knew ahead of time it was what happens???!!!!

The only shopping around I did was look at websites to find a cruise. I spoke to five people all together, it was the fifth one that thankfully informed me of this unwritten rule. I spoke to the agency I purchased the cruise from, the only mention he made was “there is a ton of paperwork involved in bringing a service dog”. The next agent I spoke to was from Disney 800 number, she transferred my call to another agent to handle all the paperwork. This third person I spoke to gave me the 100% all clear to board. I then asked a question out of curiosity, “can we get off the ship in the Bahamas, or do we have to remain onboard”. She then gave me a number to call and speak to someone about that. I called that number and spoke to one gentleman, he then transferred my call to his supervisor to better assist me, so now I was being transferred to the fifth and final agent, it was then I was told absolutely can not bring without permits even if I remain onboard. This ended my calling, or as you call it “shopping around”, I asked the 5th agent to remove the service dog from my sea pass if that was the law, because I did not want to run the risk of having her taken from me.

I did not call around until someone told me I didn’t need all the permits for the Bahamas. Where are you getting this information from? I have never stated anyone at Disney or the agency who sold me the cruise said I don’t need all the documentation for the a Bahamas!!! Everyone who is reading this, please, don’t listen to the words she is stating I said, NO ONE TOLD ME I DONT NEED ALL THE DOCUMENTS FOR THE BAHAMAS!!! If you took the time to read my written words, I stated I did not have the permits for the Bahamas, but I was given the 100% all clear to travel and board the ship with the service dog, I was told this was wrong information to tell me all the paperwork is done and we are clear to board, and that misinformation could have resulted in having my service dog removed from me.

Do not post false statements and say they came from me!!! Not once did I state a staff member told me I did not need all documentation for the Bahamas, not once!!!

My responsibility ended when I was given the 100% all clear to board with the service animal. I did read their policy and it is flawed in regards to what I was told. Yes, it clearly states I am responsible for obtaining all permits. It does not state what happens if I do not obtain all permits. The only thing it states is that you can not hold them responsible for your failure to get off in a port you do not have a permit for. So with that, and talking for years with guests who remain onboard because they don’t have a permit, it leads me to believe that it’s acceptable to remain onboard, which is false. I can read the contract over and over and it does not state, “failure to obtain permits for ALL islands regardless if you exit in port or remain on the ship, will result in the service animal not being permitted to board on the day of embarkation”.

As for placing blame, I accept the blame that I did not have the permit for the Bahamas, that is 100% on me. What does the contract state if I don’t have the permit, it states I can not hold them responsible for being denied exiting in that port. I do not hold them responsible for not being allowed off in that port. What does it say about failing to obtain all permits for all the islands....nothing, it says nothing (this is what I’m trying to change).

Blame also goes to the trained staff who gave me the 100% all clear to board. This member assured me all the paperwork was filled out, even placed me on hold to fill it out. So my 100% blame and responsibility ended and was then transferred to the trained staff who gave me wrong information.

Blame also falls with the contract and policy, it’s very simple to add in and inform people failing to obtain permits for all islands regardless if you exit the ship in those ports will result in not being allowed to embark with service dog.

Blame also goes to the executive in charge of complaints. If he assured me there would be an immediate change, such as a quick memo to all staff to refer calls to their special needs department to ensure the passengers have all required documents, prior to giving them the 100% all clear to travel, then it would have resolved this issue and this thread would not have existed.

As I stated previously, if I had traveled with the dog on other cruises and remained onboard as others have done, I would have not asked if we could get off in the ports, I would not have been asked to call special needs to answer that question, I would not have spoken to the person who told me the dire consequences for not having the permit and remaining onboard. I would have been oblivious to the heartache that awaited me when I got to that port. That’s is why it is so important for me to inform others like me that if you don’t have all the permits for all the islands then don’t cruise!!! Don’t be misled by false information that it is okay to travel and no further paperwork is needed, permits are needed even if you don’t exit the ship.

Have read through this entire thread and perplexed as to why you don't understand that the responsibility regarding this matter was NOT Disney's but instead yours ? It's been explained over and over again in this thread as to why it wasn't Disney's responsibility despite what you alleged to have been stated by a Disney Rep that you were good to go after having informed the of a Service Dog.

The facts of this matter are:

Your TA at the time of booking should have had you complete a Disney's "Special Services Form" . Even if the TA didn't request you complete the form if the Service Dog was included in the booking that would have triggered Disney to have emailed you the Special Services Request Form to complete and return.

You stated somewhere in this thread that a Disney rep allegedly told you the information regarding policy service dogs wasn't posted on the website when in fact it is posted on the website. Scroll down to the bottom of the Disney home page go to the section titled than click on "Guest with Disabilities" you will find the following information regarding service animals posted :

Request Special Services

If you or a member of your travel party has a disability or special medical needs, please complete and submit the
at least 60 days prior to the start of your vacation.
This optional form allows you to:

• Arrange for wheelchair access and/or ground transportation lift

• Specify if a wheelchair-accessible stateroom is required

• Reserve a communication kit for Guests with hearing disabilities

• Request a sharps box for the disposal of needles, syringes and lancets

• Indicate if you will be traveling with a service animal

• Provide notification of medical equipment arrangements

• Indicate if you will be traveling with oxygen

Had you clicked on the link provided in the Section of the webpage titled "Request for Special Services" marked "Special Services Information Form" the form would have appeared which clearly states the following regarding Service Animals"

"
Service Animal

Guests who are traveling with a trained service animal must obtain the required import permits per each country's regulations
. Please be aware that this process may take weeks or months to complete. Additionally, some countries may not allow animals to enter. Permits for each port of call must be sent to Disney Cruise Line Special Services Department prior to sailing. Guests must bring the original documents with them and have these available at all times. Guests traveling with a service animal should contact Special Services as soon as possible to discuss required documentation, animal relief areas, and availability of Port Adventures.
"

The Cruise Contract IS posted on Disney's website. Again scroll to the bottom of the home page go to the section marked " HELP" than click on "Booking Terms and Conditions" when that page pops up click on " United States" than the first that pops up is marked "Cruise Contract" containing a link to access the complete contract. Here's the link

Regardless of what you think and how you choose to interpret the information alleged to have been said by a Disney Rep the fact still remains the responsibility to make certain all necessary documentation was obtained and turned into Disney Cruise Line in the required time period was yours.

You stated the there are many laws that apply. As Chengkp75 so thoroughly explained ADA does not apply in this matter . FYI ChengKp75 works for a cruise line and is very proficient in what laws do or do not apply. The only laws that apply are the immigration laws of each port of call which Disney has to comply with.

Bottom line you're fighting a loosing battle.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We've been on 10 cruises with our service dog. Bottom line is you are responsible to do all the research and paperwork for the dog. About 3 years ago the Bahamas started to require a permit even if you dont get off the ship. Its the easiest permit to get. Fill it out and fax it. Your permit will be there the next day.

If you read through the "cruising with a service dog" thread like you claimed, you would already know all these things.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Yes, I read the USDA for importing dogs, I thought import was to bring into the island, I have learned now that import means anything aboard the ship. This was stated to me by the Disney special needs and made very clear. I am grateful that although he was rude at times, he did save me a lifetime of hardship by stating to me the rules regarding what happens when you have no permit for an island. I wish it was made clear in their policy and it isn’t.

It is true and I’ve gotten this from handlers of service animals aboard the ships and NOT from any cruise line agency, that people remain onboard when they don’t have the permits. I took a cruise after the Disney one, it was on Royal, spoke to a man who had a dog (in a baby carriage and stated to me it was a therapy dog, but that’s another issue entirely) and he stated he does not have the permit to exit in the port, we were in St. Marteen, and he said no issues with customs remaining onboard without a permit. He said the only issue they have is that the dog is not allowed off the ship in that port, so his wife goes off in port and enjoys herself and he stays on with the dog and then husband wife comes back on and he goes off port and enjoys himself while his wife remains onboard with the dog. This is not an option for me, as I can’t be alone due to my disability. But it does happen, I can’t speak for people remaining onboard in the Bahamas because this was my first time there and I saw no service dogs on the ship. Maybe the Bahamas are more strict than the other islands, it shouldn’t be, as this causes confusion with people believing that all the islands are the same and if you don’t have the permits you can just stay on the ship, which is not true!

Found this by simply typing in Bahamas in the search this thread in the thread Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know! thread. Took a total of 1 minute.

Quote from HenryKisor reply dated December 28, 2017

"We called the Bahamas agricultural people last month and were told we had to have the approved import permit plus 7001 even if we were not going to go ashore at Half Moon Cay or elsewhere in the Bahamas. Just entering Bahamian waters requires a permit"

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54838845&highlight=Bahamas#post54838845

Simple Due Diligence would have prevented all this.