How long for safety drill?

imisseurope

Hello,

Itinerary on NCL Spirit says cruise departs at 500pm. Any idea how long the safety drill goes on for? Then is there a sail away party? How long does that last?

Trying to make dinner reservations, but afraid 700pm may be too early.

Thank you for any help/input!

Hello,

Itinerary on NCL Spirit says cruise departs at 500pm. Any idea how long the safety drill goes on for? Then is there a sail away party? How long does that last?

Trying to make dinner reservations, but afraid 700pm may be too early.

Thank you for any help/input!

What is the itinerary?

In Europe, the muster drills can drag on quite a bit as they have to make the announcements in different languages. It isn’t unusual for it to take 30 minutes or so.

There will be a sail away party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Itinerary on NCL Spirit says cruise departs at 500pm. Any idea how long the safety drill goes on for? Then is there a sail away party? How long does that last? Trying to make dinner reservations, but afraid 700pm may be too early. Thank you for any help/input!

4:30 for about 20 minutes. Assumes that the majority of people comply. If it takes longer, blame the people who can’t follow directions. Then it’s up for the sailaway party!

4:30 for about 20 minutes. Assumes that the majority of people comply. If it takes longer, blame the people who can’t follow directions. Then it’s up for the sailaway party!

On my last NCL cruise it took over an hour because people did not show up.We had to stand in freezing cold weather.

On my last NCL cruise it took over an hour because people did not show up.We had to stand in freezing cold weather.

Unfortunately, whilst an hour is longer than usual, it is possible in Europe. There are some real issues in getting everyone there on time and then go through the procedure.

I’ve done quite a few and the time they have taken, from the scheduled start time has been everything from about 15 minutes to over an hour. The 30 minutes I stated earlier is probably about average.

It is certainly annoying when people wander in about 30 minutes after muster is supposed to have started in their swimming costumes.

On Escape a few weeks ago it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes, max. It went by super fast.

Yes, that is probably about right for a US based cruise, but the Spirit is in Europe, which can make quite a difference.

Yes, that is probably about right for a US based cruise, but the Spirit is in Europe, which can make quite a difference.

Learn something new every day!

Thank you! Any idea about how long the sailaway party lasts??

Personally we would allow 20 minutes minimum. If the instructions have to be given in other languages add 5-10 minutes per language. If there are lots of people for whom English is not a major language and so take a while to arrive and then "don't understand" double the time.

I’ve never had a muster drill last past sail away. For a 5 pm departure they will have a 5 pm sailaway party and muster will be scheduled around 3:30/ 4. So don’t worry about the muster drill. A 7 pm reservation will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any idea about how long the sailaway party lasts??
Like any party, it's best not to be the last one there… :D The band is typically scheduled to play for like an hour and a half. The Cruise Director's activity staff will be there at the beginning to encourage dancing, but they will probably start to disappear after 45 minutes or so, because they need to get changed and report for their evening duties. You can also leave at any time, of course.

Last time we were on the Spirit (a few years ago now), they scheduled a poolside cookout for the first dinner, so the sailaway party blended into that afterwards.

I’ve never had a muster drill last past sail away. For a 5 pm departure they will have a 5 pm sailaway party and muster will be scheduled around 3:30/ 4. So don’t worry about the muster drill. A 7 pm reservation will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect. Thank you!

I don't think so many people are actually late. Most are just 20 minutes or so early for the drill.

I always try and start moving towards the muster station when they sound the general emergency alarm requesting the passengers to proceed to the muster station at this time. Otherwise you are sitting around bored and getting shouted at by crew members for using your phone or talking to loudly even though they know the muster drill isn't going to start for 10 minutes or so.