Choosing not to prepay gratuities.

I know this original post is months old, but, I just happened to see it. My personal feeling is to pre pay, this way I don't have to worry about it later. When I book my cruise I get a total dollar amount and just roll with it. Also, Carnival charges $12.95 (more in suites) per day for these hard working individuals. You are getting top notch food and accommodations. There should be no reason that you should have to adjust the tip amount. Weigh it all out, its not a lot of money to tip for the service these workers provide to you and your family. I don't mean to sound rude, but, show some appreciation for those who take care of you all week on your vacation.

So many things I don’t understand about these arguments; if anyone has any steam left to engage. I am confused as to why no one is listening to one another. 🤦🏾*♀️

As a corporate business exec myself, it is not an absurd notion that the gratuity is padding the bottom line and the “bonus” payout to employees is determined by revenue protections. If projected revenue is not achieved, no bonus is paid. It’s really very simple. Specific business practices are held very closely (regardless of what is marketed) and not a single one of us who are not in their board rooms drafting their contracts and policies can make accurate assumptions on the issue. Period.

On the other hand, Carnival is a customer facing company with a lot to lose if they mishandle or botch their employee relations and/or brand expectation. There is a lot to be said for that.

My point at this juncture is that we are ALL making assumptions. Every last one of us. With the best information we have and none of it is whole. And most people care about other people, so we should back off of each other with the judgment. 🙅🏾*♀️

With all this said, I personally do not like the disingenuous business model that cruise companies employ. These service people work so hard for so little and for consumers to not be unequivocally sure that tips are going in the right place is a valid perception issue. They need to fix this.🤷🏾*♀️

But!

My opinion is that since I DO NOT unequivocally know. And since I can afford to pay the auto-tips. And since leaving off auto-fatuity feature could potentially hurt someone who has far less than I have, I will continue to auto-tip. Even if a part of me loathes that Carnival could be profiting from the gesture.

Every cruise I take, I will reassess my opinion here. I am not cheap. And...if I decide to remove this feature I will purposefully tip well above the standard. ‘Cause, hey, I’m cool like that and also blessed beyond measure. 👊🏾🙌🏾 But to call me cheap because I’ve decided to use my hard earned and God-given critical thinking is lower level thinking. Just sayin’.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

You guys are all at each others necks and the fact is it's not the cruiser's fault at all.

If you like to tip and then over tip go for it if you remove gratuities hey that's your call it's your money.

Instead of bickering at each other you should be bickering at the problem THE CRUISE COMPANIES, not at each other.

FACT: If the cruise company provided a honest wage to begin with you wouldn't need to give anyone any gratuity to begin with.

I work in the IT tech support sector for a software company. I have customers who are less than happy and call in on a daily basis I try my best to make sure by the time they  hang up they have a smile on their face or at the very least they don't need  blood  pressure  medication.

I gladly do this and never once  have  I asked  or received a  tip. I  guess  you could call me  one of the guys who work behind the scenes to make sure everything  goes  according  to plan? But my company provides me a decent wage, benefits and even bonuses (paid for by  the company) to make sure  I still do my job to the best of my ability and  the customer  is happy.

NEVER would my company ask the customer to pay more to get this service. My point is we need to stop barking at  each other and  start barking at the evil cruise companies taking people from 3rd world countries or even non 3'rd world  and  exploiting them with the dream of free  room and board  and  almost zero pay. THAT'S WHAT NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED, not us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaeByte said:

You guys are all at each others necks and the fact is it's not the cruiser's fault at all.

If you like to tip and then over tip go for it if you remove gratuities hey that's your call it's your money.

Instead of bickering at each other you should be bickering at the problem THE CRUISE COMPANIES, not at each other.

FACT: If the cruise company provided a honest wage to begin with you wouldn't need to give anyone any gratuity to begin with.

I work in the IT tech support sector for a software company. I have customers who are less than happy and call in on a daily basis I try my best to make sure by the time they  hang up they have a smile on their face or at the very least they don't need  blood  pressure  medication.

I gladly do this and never once  have  I asked  or received a  tip. I  guess  you could call me  one of the guys who work behind the scenes to make sure everything  goes  according  to plan? But my company provides me a decent wage, benefits and even bonuses (paid for by  the company) to make sure  I still do my job to the best of my ability and  the customer  is happy.

NEVER would my company ask the customer to pay more to get this service. My point is we need to stop barking at  each other and  start barking at the evil cruise companies taking people from 3rd world countries or even non 3'rd world  and  exploiting them with the dream of free  room and board  and  almost zero pay. THAT'S WHAT NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED, not us!

Totally disagree.

2 minutes ago, coevan said:

guy picks up a thread 1 1/2 years old

I hate it when that happens. Fortunately I was subscribed and saw the alert from you saying it was old. Normally I start reading and at some point realize I’m reading old posts...sometimes I’m totally agreeing with someone and then  realize it’s my post from two years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I hate it when that happens. Fortunately I was subscribed and saw the alert from you saying it was old. Normally I start reading and at some point realize I’m reading old posts...sometimes I’m totally agreeing with someone and then  realize it’s my post from two years ago. 

I guess that is better then totally disagreeing with yourself.  

• Haha 1

The problem is, it tends to be a lose lose situation. If someone does a search and resurrects an old thread, some people complain about bringing an old thread to the top. On the flip side, if someone creates a new thread for a topic that's already been covered, there are those who will complain the OP created a new thread for an existing topic and tell them they should've searched. You can't win.

Like Saint Greg mentioned, I too have read through a thread, got ready to reply, only to discover most of it is pretty old and has only just recently been bumped to the top. I understand how it happens, though, because by default, the search results are sorted by relevance, not date. With that said, it's one thing for a person to do a search and resurrect an old thread looking for more recent information. I think that's reasonable. But in this case, BaeByte decided to scold people when the last comment was about 6 months ago. I do find that a bit odd.

Edited by Organized Chaos

16 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The problem is, it tends to be a lose lose situation. If someone does a search and resurrects an old thread, some people complain about bringing an old thread to the top. On the flip side, if someone creates a new thread for a topic that's already been covered, there are those who will complain the OP created a new thread for an existing topic and tell them they should've searched. You can't win.

Like Saint Greg mentioned, I too have read through a thread, got ready to reply, only to discover most of it is pretty old and has only just recently been bumped to the top. I understand how it happens, though, because by default, the search results are sorted by relevance, not date. With that said, it's one thing for a person to do a search and resurrect an old thread looking for more recent information. I think that's reasonable. But in this case, BaeByte decided to scold people when the last comment was about 6 months ago. I do find that a bit odd.

I scolded no one other than maybe the cruise companies sir, I urge you to re-read my post. Apologies about replying to an old post I didn't even realize it was  old until after I posted.

Feel free to read into whatever makes your point valid but please don't put words in MY mouth.

Edited by BaeByte