Advantages to prepurchasing a Beverage Card

Fighterone

Well I just looked up the available Beverage Cards and I cannot find this Signature Beverage Card available for purchase, Is it discontinued? All I find are « Signature Beverage Packages » ranging from $200 to over $600.

The Signature Beverage Package (also referred to as Signature Beverage Card in this thread) costs $51.xx per day, times the number of days in your cruise. Every adult in the cabin must purchase it, if one does.

It gets you up to 15 drinks per day, at up to $9 per drink.

There is also the Beverage card in denominations of $50, $100, and $250. Those are even money purchases where you buy the card up front, like a smart card, and the price of each drink is deducted from the balance.

Any money left on the card at the end of the cruise is refunded---since you didn't spend all of your own money.

Now, the soda card gives you $50 worth of soda for a price of $25. If you don't even purchase $25 worth of soda, then the balance up to the $25 you did spend is refunded at the end of the cruise. But if you purchased at least $25 worth of soda, but didn't spend the full $50, there is nothing due you. You used all the money's worth that you put on the card.

So, just to make sure this newbie understands...

We can buy a fixed dollar card.

This can be used, like a prepaid debit card, to purchase ANY drink? (fountain soda, alcohol, coffee, etc....)

The advantage here is convenience.

Do you normally order and sign for drink purchases, but with the card, it is streamlined... no signature?

Thanks!

So, just to make sure this newbie understands...

We can buy a fixed dollar card.

This can be used, like a prepaid debit card, to purchase ANY drink? (fountain soda, alcohol, coffee, etc....)

The advantage here is convenience.

Do you normally order and sign for drink purchases, but with the card, it is streamlined... no signature?

Thanks!

Exactly. You have it :)

No signature and you should get a slip each time telling you your remaining balance on your card. I save the latest one and turf the rest ;)

Just fountain soda.

And we didn't get a refund when we ran out of card. Each had about 60 cents left, and they didn't apply that 60 cents to the next card. They just charged the full drink amount on the new card.

Also, we had about $1.80 left over from all three cards at the end of the cruise, and they didn't credit half to our account.

I'm reluctant to buy a beverage card if they don't refund any amount left over.

the regular beverage cards do give a refund for any unused portion.

You need to remember that the soda cards are at a 50% discount so if you get below the 50% there is no discount as no money is owed to you ;)

For the regular beverage cards, any unused $ are definitely refunded ;)

You've made me curious, can we use our OBC to buy a beverage card?

You can use your OBC to buy a beverage card on board the ship. Just go to any bar and you can purchase it or ask your bar steward.

Your OBC is a credit on your account so they just charge and it's deducted from your credit amount.

You can use your OBC to buy a beverage card on board the ship. Just go to any bar and you can purchase it or ask your bar steward.

Your OBC is a credit on your account so they just charge and it's deducted from your credit amount.

Thanks

How do you purchase a beverage card? I didn't see that as an option. I bought the beverage package but I doubt we will use it that often to actually pay for itself.

Under your reservation you can select cruise activities then beverages. The beverage cards and signature beverage packages are there to select. But if you already have a beverage package, Signature one, then why would you want a beverage card? Especially since the package will cover most drinks. But if you doubt you'll use the package why buy it?

Just curious.

Dan

There is also the Beverage card in denominations of $50, $100, and $250. Those are even money purchases where you buy the card up front, like a smart card, and the price of each drink is deducted from the balance.

Any money left on the card at the end of the cruise is refunded---since you didn't spend all of your own money.

Could you explain how any unused money left on the card is refunded? Do we need to visit guest services the night before disembarkation?

Thanks in advance. :):)

Could you explain how any unused money left on the card is refunded? Do we need to visit guest services the night before disembarkation?

I can tell you how it worked for me until Ruth gets back. The card is purchased from your account. At the end of the cruise any money left in it is automatically put back into your shipboard account. You don't need to do anything.

Dan

Could you explain how any unused money left on the card is refunded?

LOL! I've never had anything left on my card. I usually plan my drinking so that I have barely enough on the card for the last evening, with just a little needed from my cruise card to finish paying off that last drink.

In the meantime, I would pay attention to Dan's advice:

I can tell you how it worked for me until Ruth gets back. The card is purchased from your account. At the end of the cruise any money left in it is automatically put back into your shipboard account. You don't need to do anything.

Dan

Dan

My experience was the same as Dan's. No need to do anything. At midnight on disembarkation night, the final bill is done, the beverage cards are emptied and credited to your final bill ;)

Nothing to do, no lineups, it's automatic. :)

As a 4 Star if I buy a coffee, I get it at 50% off the regular price when I charge it to my onboard account. If I pay with a beverage card, what is the price? 50% off or the regular price?

Regular price. Which is why, if your status gets you a discount, you use your cabin card when purchasing at the Explorations Café.

• 5 months later...

I found this thread by searching for "Beverage Card" for Holland. I just upgraded my cabin to a SS today and my agent was surprised when Holland told her that I had some hidden perks on my res that she did not see on her end. One of the perks, I think, was described to me as a "$25 beverage card". I had no idea that I had this perk let alone what its function is supposed to be.

From reading through this thread, I am guessing that this will be a straight dollar value debit-type card that is used $1 = $1 on any drink purchases (soda, water or alcohol?). I have no Mariner status perks. What are my chances of asking on embarkation day about converting this to the $25 for $50 worth of soda card instead?

I just sailed with HAL last month and both my sister and I each got a $250 beverage card. It was just easier to have the card so as to not see all thse small charges on our final bill. What I was most impressed with, was that HAL refunded the unused balance on the beverage card to us at the end of the trip. I was quite appreciative of that as I expected the card was more of a use it or lose it type thing, and we just over estimated as to how much we would spend on drinks. It was definitely a nice surprise seeing the credit for the unused balance on our statement.

I just sailed with HAL last month and both my sister and I each got a $250 beverage card. It was just easier to have the card so as to not see all thse small charges on our final bill. What I was most impressed with, was that HAL refunded the unused balance on the beverage card to us at the end of the trip. I was quite appreciative of that as I expected the card was more of a use it or lose it type thing, and we just over estimated as to how much we would spend on drinks. It was definitely a nice surprise seeing the credit for the unused balance on our statement.

So instead of just carrying a single card (your cruise card) you prefer to carry two cards. Makes sense to me...NOT. We assume you did get a detailed copy of all the transactions that were on your card. Not sure this is any easier to review (for those that bother reviewing) then a single cruise statement.

Hank

We also get the Beverage Cards -- love the convenience of not having to keep track of tons of bar slips -- especially on longer cruises.

Yes -- it is great that if you have anything left on the card, it will be refunded to your credit card.

Question

We have been "gifted" several beverage cards. I assume they can be used to purchase a wine package as I believe we did this in the past.

My question

We have a mariner discount on wine packages. Will this be applied on the beverage card or will we lose the mariner discount if we use the beverage cards to purchase a wine package?

Thanks for any input.

[beginquote=dobiemom;55582772]

I wonder if I purchased it onboard in a bar it would be plain (no name) but then could I go to guest services and have them put my my name on it?[/endquote]

======

I do this all the time so the card is easily identifiable. No problem.

Peter

So instead of just carrying a single card (your cruise card) you prefer to carry two cards. Makes sense to me...NOT. We assume you did get a detailed copy of all the transactions that were on your card. Not sure this is any easier to review (for those that bother reviewing) then a single cruise statement.

Hank

No Hank, you don't get a detailed transaction similar to your shipboard account.

You get a receipt when you purchase your drink and it shows your remaining balance on your card. All you need to keep is the last one (if you want) so you know where you stand all the time. Much easier IMO than checking a pile of charges ;)

Question

We have been "gifted" several beverage cards. I assume they can be used to purchase a wine package as I believe we did this in the past.

My question

We have a mariner discount on wine packages. Will this be applied on the beverage card or will we lose the mariner discount if we use the beverage cards to purchase a wine package?

Thanks for any input.

I've only asked about doing this once and I was told that if it was not charged to my room key card that the Mariner discount would not apply.

The same thing happens if you buy coffee at the Explorations with your beverage card - no Mariner's discount.