Early Departure from Amsterdam Airport, Want to catch 10:20 flight back to the USA

guy999

Sail Amsterdam would indeed impact on cruise arrivals and departures. However, it is held only once every 5 years. The last one was in 2015 and the next is in 2020. Curious what site you are looking at?

Gill,

It must have been back in 2010 then when the ‘Sail’ event caused disruption to our port embarkation/disembarkation - didn’t realise it was only every 5 years, but it’s definitely worth noting if it occurs around a particular cruise. We also had the ‘back-up’ issue on another cruise that meant several pax missed early flights from AMS (think it was when Julie was on our Briliiance sailing to Norway).

This is exactly what we have planned for the British Open cruise this year. 10:30 am departure, with a Celebrity transfer from ship to airport. Choice Air had no problems booking it for us.

Interested to know which port / airport?

We are sailing into Amsterdam at the end of our cruise in August. The ship should arrive at 6am based on the schedule now. We would like to catch the 10:20am nonstop flight back to the US, all of the rest have multiple stops, otherwise we have to wait until the next day, there is only one daily nonstop back to Dallas.

I don't mind lugging my own bag off of the ship early, but could I make a 10:20am flight back?

We are in aqua class if that makes any difference.

Also we are flying back in First on American, but it's very difficult to tell if they have faster security like JFK or Heathrow if you are in first. Usually a couple of hours in advance is more than enough time in First.

Any ideas, or even where to look for information on this would be appreciated. I did search for awhile but couldn't find anything on point.

also addendum, we are arriving 5 days before our cruise so we will have seen lots of Amsterdam before we sail, we don't really need another day if not needed.

I think that would be pushing it. Traffic to airport can be backed upped due to security. Really doesn’t like for any snags.

Amsterdam is the worst European airport that we have flown out of. We took a Viking River Cruise, ending in Amsterdam. Viking dropped us at the Airport more than 3 hours before our flight. We must have gone through 3 or 4 security lines. We boarded our direct flight to Newark, NJ about 10 minutes before the plane door closed. It was very nerve wracking. Hope you have a better experience.

To the OP: Is all this worry better than a later flight with a connection? Trying to make a 10:30 am flight from Europe back to the USA with all the security procedures on US outbound flights is not wise.

We also had a bad security experience in Amsterdam. Not the place to try to make this flight!

• 2 months later...
I was offered flights at 10:35 by Choice air on my return from AMS on 07/25. However, I chose to book the 10:20 non-stop to DFW.

Just got an email today from Choice Air/Celebrity saying they had changed our flight to 12:50pm. They have on record that I called several months ago and told them I will take a chance on the 10:20a flight but the guy today told me we will never make that flight and started mumbling about some guarantee. He did say he could book me on 10:35a if I really wanted that... haha... like 15 minutes is that much of a difference? I decided to stop messing around with them as this was about my 4th call... and we are going to take the later flight.

Did they allow you to keep your 10:20am flight?

I was on the 'sail event" cruise and the airport situation was a nightmare. When we finally got to the gate we discovered that the aircraft type had been changed and the computer had randomly assigned seats. Instead of the Comfort Plus seat I paid for I got a regular seat far back on the plane away from my friend. Couples were separated and late arrivals didn't have a seat at all. I would never assume anything at Schipol. I would rather shop for chocolate and cookies than try to make an early flight.

The plane may also board earlier than you think. The airport states boarding can be up to 60 mins before take off time, as depending on the runway you are taking off from, the plane taxi time can be over 30mins due to the distance to the runway.

Taxi time is irrelevant. Your scheduled departure time is not the time the wheels leave the ground; it's the time the boarding door closes. Taxi time is factored into the scheduled departure/arrival time. For international flights, boarding generally starts 60-75 min pre-flight, and may end 20 min or so before scheduled departure so that the passenger manifest can be finalized.

What the OP needs to consider is what the check-in cut-off is and will need to find that our from their airline. For an international flight, you may not be able to check in online ahead of time because passports need to be checked. There will also be a cut-off time for checked bags.

At this point we have kept that 10:20 flight since we are flexible and could spend the night if it doesn’t work out. We have been very fortunate with early flights in the past and are flying business class, so hoping we make it since it is a Saturday.

Just a word of caution: If you don't make it, the airline may or may not be able to accommodate you in business class on the same flight the next day. At that point you would have a possible choice: Wait yet another day for available business class seats, or voluntarily accept seats in coach to get home on the earlier flight. "Voluntarily" is the operative word there, because it could mean you do not get reimbursed for the difference between business and coach fares.

I don't know where they are getting $100 per person for transfer. We paid 50 (maybe 60?) for the two of us using celebrity...

I'm guessing the $50-60 is a regular transfer rate, and that given the early flight, Celebrity may have been quoting a more expensive private transfer so that the poster in question could leave for the airport immediately, rather than wait for a whole bus to fill up.

Just a word of caution: If you don't make it, the airline may or may not be able to accommodate you in business class on the same flight the next day. At that point you would have a possible choice: Wait yet another day for available business class seats, or voluntarily accept seats in coach to get home on the earlier flight. "Voluntarily" is the operative word there, because it could mean you do not get reimbursed for the difference between business and coach fares.

Yes, that is true, and was part of our decision to take a chance on the 10:20am flight... but now we should not have to worry about it with a 12:50pm flight.

Got off the Eclipse in Amsterdam 2 days ago. Self Assist started at 6:50am. We didn’t do self assist as we are staying in Amsterdam until Saturday. Asked our BnB hosts and a taxi driver about getting to AMS on Sat, both said allow 25-30 mins to get to the airport (we are staying slightly closer to the airport than the ruise terminal). Expect long lines and for a 10:50 flight get to the airport no later than 7:30.

Did you see if they had a fast track through security like Heathrow?

Thanks for the update on when you were able to self disembark from the eclipse yesterday. I have left the flights the same right now. still a bit worried but should be able to rebook easily being in business class if it comes to that.

We were on the same Eclipse trip. We took the Celebrity airport transfer option ($34 per person) which met for departure at 7:15 am. Due to flight delays we were rescheduled on a 10:20 am flight. Check-in, security checks and immigration were so packed we just made it to the gate as the bus to the flight was boarding (9:30 am). Note that due to using a bus, 9:50 was the last time you could board the plane. The plane was supposed to be full, but may seats were empty when we left, I assume because people could not get to the gate in time to get the last bus to the plane.