I'm currently binge watching The Love Boat - how realisticly did it portray cruising?

firsttimer2018

Re: Crew Socialization with Passengers

Our first cruise was on NCL's MS Southward was in 1976.  I have a strong memory of white uniformed young officers sitting at tables with ladies whom I assumed to be passengers.  This seemed to be a normal occurrence.  

Am I imagining this?

6 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

I've been watching on Paramount Plus, and I googled the original ship--only 600 passengers and no cabins with balconies!  It's hard to imagine!

I sailed on the original Pacific Princess in 2002. My cabin was nothing like the ones on the sound stages. It had two single beds that could not be pushed together, but they called it "The Love Boat".🙂

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I sailed on the original Pacific Princess in 2002. My cabin was nothing like the ones on the sound stages. It had two single beds that could not be pushed together, but they called it "The Love Boat".🙂

There has been a TON of discussion in multiple threads for the past month+ about Princess selling one thing and then delivering another due to changes.  I wonder how many people watched the TV show and then booked a Princess cruise thinking they would have a huge stateroom and be hobnobbing with the senior crew?  

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

There has been a TON of discussion in multiple threads for the past month+ about Princess selling one thing and then delivering another due to changes.  I wonder how many people watched the TV show and then booked a Princess cruise thinking they would have a huge stateroom and be hobnobbing with the senior crew?  

Since my cruise on the original Pacific Princess was my fourth Princess cruise, I didn't expect the huge Hollywood stateroom. However, Gavin MacLeod did great us at the pier when we returned to New York at the end of the cruise.

And what about the revived... The "New" Love Boat series.  Oops, my bad.

I was booked Honolulu to Tahiti on the Pacific Princess.  Cancelled by the shut down.  Then she was sold.  That was my last chance.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

45 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was booked Honolulu to Tahiti on the Pacific Princess.  Cancelled by the shut down.  Then she was sold.  That was my last chance.  

Yep! I was on its first segment of the world cruise that started in FLL and did  Panama Canal transit to LA. We got off in LA, Pacific Princess continued on and got as far as the Indian Ocean before they canceled the cruise and called it back to the US due to the pandemic.  We, too were very disappointed to learn that it had been sold. I know we can go to Azamara and sail her again...but $$$$

52 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This wasn't the real Pacific Princess (The Love Boat). Her last season with Princess was in 2002.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having cruised for 50 years, we really enjoyed the typical smaller ships back in the 70s.  In fact, we still love the small ships and just came off the Seabourn Quest where we had just a few over 400 passengers (the capacity, seldom achieved, is 450).  It occurs to me that the true "Love Boat" was probably HAL's Prinsendam (previously it was the Seabourn Sun and Royal Viking Sun).  Why do we say this?  It turns out that three of that ship's Captains, who all professed to be happy bachelors, met their wives while working on that vessel.

But my issue with the "Love Boat" was the idea of a ship with only one bar tender!  Imagine!

Hank

• Haha 1