Sign & Sail Card - Physical Appearance

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the sign and sale card looks like?

- Is it a hard plastic card similar to a credit card or a bracelet? ( I am think card, since its in the name, but I haven't been able ti find any info on it)

- If a card, how do you carry it around, so you don't lose it? (Obviously I know you need to be extra careful, I am just wondering while in port or at an excursion for example)

- Also, does everyone in the stateroom get one, including children? And if yes, do you need to carry this around when you get off the ship in port, or do you only need to bring one per stateroom, plus your ID/passport to get back on the ship?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just trying to be prepared. Thanks for any comments.

Yes, it is a hard plastic card like a credit card with a magnetic strip on the back. Everyone in the room gets one and EVERYONE needs to take it with them when they get on and off the ship, along with a picture ID for everyone over 16 years of age.

A lot of people (myself included) will wear it around their neck on a lanyard. You can ask guest services to punch a hole in the one corner to be able to put it on the lanyard. Sometimes it will already have this hole in when you get it (just depends on the ship).

This is your room key and also the way you pay for everything while onboard the ship. This means if you have multiple people in one room you will need to decided if you want to give them "charging privileges" with their card. Meaning they too can go into stores, or arcade, or sweet shop and "buy" things with their card. You will need to set this up when you do all your on line check in information including setting up your onboard spending account. You can assign each person that will or will not having charging privileges on the primary account holders account.

Hi!

It is a card similar to a credit card. It is hard plastic.

There will be a hole punched in the card in the lower right corner when you receive it. That hole will allow you to attach it to a lanyard, keychain or anything else you’d like to use to carry it around.

Everyone in the stateroom gets a card, including children. You do need to take it off the ship with you, for everyone in your party. They scan it when you exit the ship and when you get back on. I would recommend carrying all forms of ID with you when getting off the ship in port.

Hope this helps- enjoy your cruise!

Edit: location of hole in card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Macklovin38

the sail and sign card is the size of a credit card. I wear a lanyard, and put the card in that. DH carries it in his pocket. the card is coded with your information, and the cards are colored based on your cruise history. When we go ashore, I am still wearing my lanyard, and if it's a beach day, then I place it in a safe place. I think DH swims with his in his pocket.

I don't know if kids get their own cards, I know that teenagers do. again, they are coded so that if a teen tries to order a drink, they will get the virgin kind.:p

I believe you can purchase lanyards onboard to carry your card in otherwise I carry a small wristlet big enough to hold my card and my phone so I can access the app onboard and for time keeping

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The picture they take of you when you check in is attached to the card as well. Every time they swipe it your picture comes up so that are ensured that you are using your card.

They only take your photo at check-in if you aren't using a passport for identification or if they are unable to scan your passport photo.

They take the picture also if appearance has changed since passport was taken. Sometimes the passport picture doesn't scan too well and they will take it also.

That happened to DW a couple of weeks ago - she was the only person in our group whose passport photo wouldn't scan so they took her picture at check-in. She was good with that because she hates that passport photo. ;)

All of my cruises from Miami and Ft Lauderdale have been within the past 2-3 years.

Agreed, it could be a variety of reasons. Probably 95% of mine have been punched from the beginning. A couple of reprints I had done at guest services I have told them don't bother. As long as I can get in my room with it it is all good.

• Like 1

They only take your photo at check-in if you aren't using a passport for identification or if they are unable to scan your passport photo.

It might depend on the port. At Baltimore we used our passports for identification and they took our picture.

It might depend on the port. At Baltimore we used our passports for identification and they took our picture.

When I mentioned "scan your passport", they actually have a hand-held scanner that captures your photo from your passport. But as you mention, they may not have those scanners at all departure ports yet so they still have to take your photo on the spot. Our most recent experience was in Port Everglades.

When I mentioned "scan your passport", they actually have a hand-held scanner that captures your photo from your passport. But as you mention, they may not have those scanners at all departure ports yet so they still have to take your photo on the spot. Our most recent experience was in Port Everglades.

They scanned the passport with a scanner and took picture. I was a little surprised based on what I've read here, but it maybe adds 30 seconds to the process and doesn't really affect my cruise:)

• 4 years later...