Old tyme cruisers, how many days to reach platinum?

cruise_mojo

Hi, Mojo! So, as it turns out, we made Plat at 43 days. We've don't have any 3 nighters on Carnival. We have done a few 4 nighters, though.

Hope to see y'all next year. We're pretty set for the rest of this year.

Jerryman wants to do a kitchen remodel this summer, so no high season cruises. But, I'm always shopping....

Have fun everyone! :)

• 1 month later...

It took me 19 cruises and 109 days to attain Platinum. That is what I had when the first rendition of the Loyalty program rolled out. I got my first Platinum card on a cruise on the Celebration in August of 2005. And no, Carnival didn't give me back any benefits retroactively! :D

We did it 47 days and 10 cruises. Our first was a 7 day followed by several group cruises of 4 or 5 days. Another one of 7 days with family and a 4 day 3 day b2b that was our 10th cruise and put us over the top. Still many days to go before we reach diamond. Have 7 day coming this summer.

Towanda

webecruzen

lookin at yer history, what ship(s) were the big red boat in those years you cruised her? when we did the BRB it was the Oceanic, one of the former "white ships" of Home lines

maybe the seabreaze or Rembrandt? was the Canada star or queen of Bermuda ever the BRB?

we just hit 126 days I think on carnival and 217 overall sailing, we spent one night gratis on the Imagination called a pierside overenight on its inaugural

my wife was in air\sea with the airlines and we got the invite from carnival for that and not repeat crusing or anything else

I believed I reached Platinum on my 11th week long cruise, or about 77 days. I made an effort to get to Diamond by booking some week long back to backs, and even longer Journeys cruises like a 21 day B2B on the Glory. Time well spent, and I certainly feel like I earned my "status".

Diamond rocks!

I just reached Platinum two weeks ago on the Pride. I have 77 days total now

I only started cruising on Carnival in Feb. 2014, a mix of 5, 7 and 8 day cruises. 11 all together.

Four years isn't too bad (and I didn't cruise at all in 2015). It took me 15 years to reach Diamond Plus on Royal..lol

It will be a lot more Carnival cruises to reach Diamond and I hope to get there...already have another booked:D:D:D:D

DH and DW I wish we got double points on carnival too!

we could get double on royal, we just reached their platinum level and studied a 11 day cruise where we could get a suite and score 22 pts which would jump us to their emerald level in one cruise!

but we passed on it and just did a nice balcony for next april on Rhapsody

Watermellon, under the new policy its just really straightforward, get X number of days and that's it..... now it might be fun to see how many get the minimum but doing the minimum doesn't make sense

SINCE you get platinum or diamond on the cruise where you reach the days.;) so maybe you'd stretch to get to the new level but better to be near it and then book a realty long cruise? say you were just 2 or 3 days short it would be better to do a 7 day or 8 or 11 day cruise so youd get platinum on day one of your cruise:cool:

For the life of me, I cannot see any meaningful value, valuable cruising information, or help for other cruisers in this entire topic. Am I the only one that thinks this way? As far as I am concerned, it is right up there with the other current topics about the worst thing you have ever seen on a cruise ship and all the rude people someone has seen on a cruise ship. Sad!

I turned Platinum on my 10th cruise with 53 nights. I'm past the 75 now, don't think I'll ever see Diamond tho. Wonder if there will ever be anything in between - that's a huge difference.

Same here. Took advantage of that year long grace period for those of us on the bubble back in 2013. Added an extra five day cruise to get to 10 at 53 days. Still not at 75 because I've been cruising other lines. Back on Carnival in July, however. Since then I've hit Platinum on Princess and got a status match to Platinum on MSC (researching the Seaside now) .

Jim

got a status match to Platinum on MSC (researching the Seaside now) .

Jim

Here's a link Jim to my Seaside cruise from back in January. Happy reading.https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2598283

"BUNG FODDER!" cruise monitor as my grandpappy used to say!

why does any OR every thread on CC have to have a meaningful purpose?

the main purpose of this thread is....... curiosity!

simple enuff, and only if someone can remember, keep records and is interested enough in the topic to post then we hope they'll have fun discussing..... its like buttah!

one thing is, ncl was maybe the first to have a repeat program here in the US and it was originally cruises too, most of the lines later did cruises firstly then quickly changed over to days - I strongly suspect it was because of two things....

1. People that live close to ports and having opportunities to take some of the shorter cruises were able to pile up status quickly and advance up the food chain really quickly. Thus, you'd get big time status on Holland America, NCL, Carnival etc pretty quickly.

2. This exact thing pissed off old time cruisers at those lines. Especially Princess and HA passengers! So they'd complain that some dingo taking 5 or 10 4 or 5 day cruises would have a higher status than someone who'd cruise only extended cruises. ( on HA there are many 2wk and above lengths of cruses historically some 20 to 36 days still exist but they had lots of cruises like that 20 yrs ago )

I remember reading lots of letters to the editor in Cruise Travel mentioning that very fact. This is the main reason all the cruise lines changed to days instead of number of cruises.

• 2 years later...

me and the old lady got into a "discussion" this week😉

about.... our son....💩who is about turdy

who is about thutty now and his wife just turned thirty yesterday did I say thirty? SHE is wonderful!👩

anyway a few of you here actually know Charlie frank so I won't go into too much detail ...

but we got to "discussing" whether Charlie had or had not actually hit platinum, momma always tells the story on our cruises of how he hit platinum on his 21st b'day back in the day on the dream and his actual b'day was in key west so he got to go round and show his ID and legally drink a few beers or mixed drinks 

ANYWAY, to make a short story long, he has not been on a cruise since - BUT I got to thinking we used to have the kids in our profiles as companions so I also got to wondering if their logins on carnival had ever been changed so I piddled around and was indeed able to get into charlies acct after a accouple\three attempts and actually saw that when we moved a couple years ago I had updated his address as ours! back in that time frame we had planned another cruise with our other son and his wife and the grandson so I think we just updated everyones stuff to keep current everyones vifp status for future reference 

ANYHOO! Charlie indeed did get platinum and he got his in 51 days!      a lot of 3-4-5 days cruises and one 8 day on Liberty and the 7 day one on the Dream to his Platinum ( he also had a 7 day on the Norway too! )  😁😊

yea, pretty bored, sitting round with the virus ***** going on! but HEAR THE GOOD NEWS! NORPH CACKILACKY IS ALLOWING US TO GO OUT TO SUPPER THIS EVENING AT 5PM !

CRUSIING CAN ONLY BE MONTHS AWAY?🙄

On 3/28/2018 at 12:00 PM, cruising maniac said:

We had a couple of 4's and a 3, but mostly 7 and 8's. Made platinum in 61 days but I had a hell of a time finding proof of those old cruises on the Mardi Gras in the 80's. I had to dig deep in the pictures.

Makes me think new cruisers should definitely get that Carnival photo right after checking in.  Put it in a frame and keep for future reference! 

1 hour ago, crusinpsychRN said:

On one cruise they introduced the oldest and youngest Diamond cruisers. A 7 year old was the youngest!

They always announce that at D&P parties and at most of the Diamond special events I have attended. I have lost count of how many Diamond I have seen/met who were still in single digits age wise. Makes me jealous since I didn’t start cruising until I was in my 40s. 

61 days to platinum, here. My first sailing on Holiday was my platinum cruise, and I'll never forget it. When I ordered my first drink of the day on Lido with my shiny new platinum card, the waiter grinned and said, 'Welcome home!' I sure miss that little ship and her crew!