Hotels

eliana

Are there any advantages in booking pre- or post- cruise hotels with Regent rather than what seems to be the cheaper option of booking them direct online?

Usually not.

The Regent arranged hotel rooms normally come with breakfast and transfers included, but in most parts of the world the transfers can be arranged easily and economically, plus you can travel when you want in the comfort and style of your choice.

I agree picking your own hotel really works for us. Also your not in the mix of an over crowded cruise hotel. However if you want to meet a few others on your cruise, you can still do in with less $$ on your own. You also can get a car service or cab to take you to the port at the time you want, not an assigned time.

While I agree to a certain extent with other posters, our pre-cruise hotel in Bali was maybe the best that we have ever stayed in (in over 30 years of international travel to about 100 countries) so do not discount Regent hotels.

The Mulia Bali was so over the top that we had to adjust to the slightly lower level of service on Regent (hate to say this because we adore Regent but must speak the truth). When four of us were walking from the bus to the hotel lobby and did not join the groups that went into the vans for the 2 blocks), someone came running with a flashlight to illuminate the way.

This was a 3 night pre-cruise hotel but could not have been better. There are times (our next trip to Barcelona is an example) when we book our own hotel and do our own transportation to the ship. But, it is worth the time to check out the hotel online. Sometimes you can write to them and get an upgrade for a small price.

It has taken us years of trial and error to figure out what works best for us and what works for us may not work for others. However, the 200+ guests that stayed in the Bali Mulia (it is a humungous hotel and 200 people was a drop in the bucket), every single person loved the experience and would stay there again.

The hotels in the pre or post-cruise tours (whether included or you have to pay) are always excellent. We have done those pre or post cruise tours because you get to know other passengers and you don't have to hassle with all the planning. We have beautiful hotels and very good tour guides in Beijing, S Africa, Dubai and other ports. That said, unless we book a Concierge or penthouse cabin in which case the hotel is included, I don't book the hotel for the night before through Regent. They are excellent hotels but Regent charges the room "per person". So a hotel you can get for less than $400/night costs you twice booking through Regent. Yes, you do get transportation from airport and hotel to ship. However, I have found hiring a private car or even taking a taxi works very well. That said, if you don't want the hassle of booking hotel and arranging transportation, Regent offers an option. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. At one time Regent include a hotel the night before regardless of cabin booked. All that changed when they introduced the concierge level.

Thanks for all comments. They have confirmed that unless one is booking a pre or post cruise tour it is cheaper (perhaps much) cheaper and with greater choice to book a hotel oneself rather than through Regent and pay for taxi transfers.

Are there any advantages in booking pre- or post- cruise hotels with Regent rather than what seems to be the cheaper option of booking them direct online?

I'd say 'convenience' and maybe 'peace of mind'. Letting Regent handle lodging and transfers is a lot easier, usually, than doing it on your own. If there's a slight price difference, we'll pay it just to let Regent handle the details, but sometimes the cost of bundling is just too dang much so we'll set it up on our own.

Some of it depends on where you're embarking, too - I'm pretty comfortable in most European cities but not familiar at all with Asian cities...I'd be more likely to go in on my own in Europe than I would be in China, for example.

Some people prefer the ease of one-stop shopping, others prefer the potential adventure. :D

Thanks for all comments. They have confirmed that unless one is booking a pre or post cruise tour it is cheaper (perhaps much) cheaper and with greater choice to book a hotel oneself rather than through Regent and pay for taxi transfers.

Just a word of warning.

Before assuming the cost of doing your own transfers, check the distance from the hotel to airport & cruise port.

For example, in the following cities, amongst others, the cruiseports are quite a distance from the airport: Rome, Bangkok, Beijing.

Agree about checking the distance but also check hotel and transfer prices. In Rome we paid for a private transfer to the port city, spent the night at a hotel and still saved money (not a lot but we liked waking up near where the ship was docked and not being hoarded in a bus). Some hotels have more reasonable transfers available.

While I agree to a certain extent with other posters, our pre-cruise hotel in Bali was maybe the best that we have ever stayed in (in over 30 years of international travel to about 100 countries) so do not discount Regent hotels.

The Mulia Bali was so over the top that we had to adjust to the slightly lower level of service on Regent (hate to say this because we adore Regent but must speak the truth). When four of us were walking from the bus to the hotel lobby and did not join the groups that went into the vans for the 2 blocks), someone came running with a flashlight to illuminate the way.

This was a 3 night pre-cruise hotel but could not have been better. There are times (our next trip to Barcelona is an example) when we book our own hotel and do our own transportation to the ship. But, it is worth the time to check out the hotel online. Sometimes you can write to them and get an upgrade for a small price.

It has taken us years of trial and error to figure out what works best for us and what works for us may not work for others. However, the 200+ guests that stayed in the Bali Mulia (it is a humungous hotel and 200 people was a drop in the bucket), every single person loved the experience and would stay there again.

Jackie,

Regent booked us at the Ritz-Cartn resort in Bali this trip. We enjoyed it very much. We loved the birds and the troup of monkeys in the resort. We have never before seen monkeys swim....wonder what the Koi carpers thought of that..:cool:

Thanks for all comments. They have confirmed that unless one is booking a pre or post cruise tour it is cheaper (perhaps much) cheaper and with greater choice to book a hotel oneself rather than through Regent and pay for taxi transfers.[/quote

I will add one comment here. I am new to Regent (don't sail until Nov.) so I can't speak from much experience. We have a PH on Mariner and we depart out of Honolulu. The hotel is the Royal Hawaiian. We are spending a few days in Honolulu, so I took the hotel credit rather than the free night so I didn't have to change hotels. But I did check about extra nights through Regent at the Royal Hawaiian. They actually offered a significant discount (still too rich for my blood). And when you consider one night free, it actually brings the price down farther. So if you plan to stay at the hotel Regent uses, check the cost if you book through them. It might be the best deal you can get for that hotel.

What do you guys think about Regent hotels in Venice. They are now using the Molina Stucky . Venice is an expensive city and the transfers can be expensive.

Pondering on this but most likely will use Regent as we are going in 1 day early and we get 1 free night night so the hotel credit is not much so probably better off to just use Regent.

Just a word of warning.

Before assuming the cost of doing your own transfers, check the distance from the hotel to airport & cruise port.

For example, in the following cities, amongst others, the cruiseports are quite a distance from the airport: Rome, Bangkok, Beijing.

Yes, agreed but even in Rome, had I booked through cruise line, hotel would have cost (2 nights) $799PP-. Spent $425 (converted from euros) per night and 90 euros inc. tip for transport to Civitavecchia. Came out way ahead and had total control of my reservation as I made a couple of changes and upgraded.

What do you guys think about Regent hotels in Venice. They are now using the Molina Stucky . Venice is an expensive city and the transfers can be expensive.

Pondering on this but most likely will use Regent as we are going in 1 day early and we get 1 free night night so the hotel credit is not much so probably better off to just use Regent.

Regent has put us in the Hotel Bauer Palazzo and the JW Marriott on Isola delle Rose. Of the two, I preferred the Bauer Palazzo based mostly on location. The rooms and amenities were a bit better in the Marriott but you're at the mercy of the (free) shuttle to San Marco. From the Bauer it's easier to just walk out and enjoy the city. We had included transfers both times but I'm sure the transfer from the Marriott would be pricey. VERY pricey.

Yes, agreed but even in Rome, had I booked through cruise line, hotel would have cost (2 nights) $799PP-. Spent $425 (converted from euros) per night and 90 euros inc. tip for transport to Civitavecchia. Came out way ahead and had total control of my reservation as I made a couple of changes and upgraded.

Some of us are comparing the included pre-cruise hotel night vs. the hotel credit for booking your own hotel. We would never book extra nights at the prices that you mentioned. However, the included night in some amazing hotels that Regent contracts with can be much better than booking on your own.

Jackie,

Regent booked us at the Ritz-Cartn resort in Bali this trip. We enjoyed it very much. We loved the birds and the troup of monkeys in the resort. We have never before seen monkeys swim....wonder what the Koi carpers thought of that..:cool:[/quote

We love the Ritz in Bali. We had a villa riight by the Arung river. I think the best hotel there.

We sometimes take the Regent pre or post package and sometimes book our own. The Regent hotels are always top-notch and get you upgraded status in the hotel. For example, if it is a Hilton property, you get diamond status for lounges, etc. Using the Regent packages also avoids the air deviation fee ($175 each now, I think.) If you arrive or leave on a date different from the scheduled Regent air, you are "deviating." On the other hand, these excellent hotels are frequently not in the area you want to stay. Examples: In Montreal, the Regent hotel was in the financial district; we wanted to stay in the old city. In Istanbul, Regent hotel in the club district on the new side of the city; we wanted to stay in the old district near all the tourist attractions. In Barcelona, Regent hotel not walking distance from La Ramblas. Hope this gives you some other things to think about. In our case, location is the most important factor. I agree with other posters that the free transfers are not important.

IN Venice the Regent hotel credit will not cover the cost of a room there. Some places I agree it is better to take the credit but in Venice the hotels and transfers are expensive so probably will just let Regent take care of everything and pay the price.

My wife and I opt'd to stay a total of 3 nights in Stockholm prior to our cruise and booked through Regent. We arrived at Arlanda airport at ~7:00 a.m. after flying / laying over for over 30 hours. There were two Regent representatives waiting for us outside Customs. After offering to take our carry-on bags, they merely said: "Welcome to Stockholm, there is a car waiting outside to take you to your Hotel." Upon reaching the hotel at ~9:00, all that was said was: "Welcome to Stockholm, your room is ready - we'll have your bags delivered to the room promptly." I'm not sure if my TA could have orchestrated as fine a reception without Regent, but it wouldn't be any less expensive, nor as highly anticipated.

What is the room credit. We’ve never been offered one. Maybe it is another difference between US and UK bookings.

When we book a concierge or above suite in the U.S. we get the pre-cruise night at a hotel of Regent's choice. If we opt not to have the hotel, there is a hotel credit which varies depending upon the location. The average credit is $150/person. So, if we can get a hotel that we like for under $300, it is a good deal. Is this not offered in the U.K.? And, do you get the air credit if you book your own air?

When we book a concierge or above suite in the U.S. we get the pre-cruise night at a hotel of Regent's choice. If we opt not to have the hotel, there is a hotel credit which varies depending upon the location. The average credit is $150/person. So, if we can get a hotel that we like for under $300, it is a good deal. Is this not offered in the U.K.? And, do you get the air credit if you book your own air?

When we have booked a concierge or higher suite and do not want the 'free' hotel room we have had a reduction in price. On European cruises, even if we use the Regent flights, we rarely if ever need to stay in a hotel the night before. On long distantce cruises we always fly business, or even as we are next time first, we either use airmiles or book our own flights as they tend to be cheaper and more flexible than Regent.

When we have booked a concierge or higher suite and do not want the 'free' hotel room we have had a reduction in price. On European cruises, even if we use the Regent flights, we rarely if ever need to stay in a hotel the night before. On long distantce cruises we always fly business, or even as we are next time first, we either use airmiles or book our own flights as they tend to be cheaper and more flexible than Regent.

So, I think that we are talking about thee same thing. The "hotel credit" lowers the price of the cruise.

You are fortunate that flights in Europe are reliable enough to fly to the embarkation port the same day. In the U.S., you are lucky to get to the port on time when you are only flying for 2 hours.