2018 Wine list

suzyed

I will be updating my wine spreadsheet in the next couple of weeks or so. I do have the latest list off ISLAND Princess from March.

I'm almost positive I saw "Conundrum" on a wine list (possibly on someone's blog). Can you confirm if it was on the Island's new wine list? We leave Tuesday on the Crown.

TIA

We have just spent 30 nights on the Emerald Princess and the entire cruise we had to go to a 4th or 5th choice before they had a wine available. It was very frustrating and each wine waiter told us a different story as why there was a lack of wines available. Not sure if it is a deliberate ploy by Princess to make passengers buy the more expensive wines by not having the more reasonable priced wines available. There was no wine card or BOGO.

I have some questions about the wine packages. I take it that it only applies to wines by the bottle in the dining room and that if I went to a bar and ordered wine it wouldn't be covered. Is that right? Also, are your wine bottles available if you choose a more casual dining location? What happens when you don't finish a bottle at a sitting. Do they save what's left for you for the next night?

We normally stop off at Vines on the way to the MDR and pick up a glass of the better stuff and I make a quick replenishment run back to Vines inbetween the soup course and the main course.

The wine steward at our table in effect becomes the water boy. I really wish they would improve the wines by the glass in the MDR as we typically have the PBP.

Are you saying that even with the horrendously expensive Beverage Package you have to run around and get your own wine during dinner? Does anyone know where I can get the by the glass list for the Main Dining Room.

I have some questions about the wine packages.

I take it that it only applies to wines by the bottle in the dining room and that if I went to a bar and ordered wine it wouldn't be covered. Is that right? Yes

Also, are your wine bottles available if you choose a more casual dining location? They are available in any dining room but not more casual locations such as the grill.

What happens when you don't finish a bottle at a sitting. Do they save what's left for you for the next night. Yes & if at a different dining room they can locate it faster by telling them where you previously dined.

Are you saying that even with the horrendously expensive Beverage Package you have to run around and get your own wine during dinner? No...you’re dining room waitstaff gets your wine from the limited wine by the glass wine list. Does anyone know where I can get the by the glass list for the Main Dining Room.

You can get a bottle from a dining room & drink it anywhere because the entire wine package is charged the 15% gratuity.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you saying that even with the horrendously expensive Beverage Package you have to run around and get your own wine during dinner? Does anyone know where I can get the by the glass list for the Main Dining Room.
Only if you want a glass from the Vines bar, which has a broader selection than the DR by-the-glass listing. Ridiculous really, but that's the way it is.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the wine list and package info! I am assuming the package bottles are only available in the dining rooms/specialty restaurants and not in the lounges/shows...? Are any leftovers corked up, tagged and taken away or can we take the partial bottle out of the dining room? And if they save your partial bottle, does it take forever to retrieve it the next time?

Still searching for recent photos of the by-the-glass wine @ bars menu ;-)

Here’s a link to the most up to date wine list from November 2017 that I’ve seen which includes comparisons for purchasing onboard or bringing it on the ship.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=412023&d=1510903877

They are still selling wine packages on 10+ day cruises when having sufficient inventory of wine.

Thank you for the wine list and package info! I am assuming the package bottles are only available in the dining rooms/specialty restaurants and not in the lounges/shows...? Are any leftovers corked up, tagged and taken away or can we take the partial bottle out of the dining room? And if they save your partial bottle, does it take forever to retrieve it the next time?

Still searching for recent photos of the by-the-glass wine @ bars menu ;-)

With the wine package you can only get the wine in any dining room/specialty restaurant. They will store remaining wine for another time & you could have it in a different dining venue (it helps them locate it faster if you give them information about your previous location). You can also take the bottle with you to drink anywhere on the ship because the 15% fee has been paid.

I don’t have any personal experience with how long it takes to get the remaining wine at a different dining location. We have traditional dining so our waitstaff automatically brings our wine when we arrive.

Princess recently announced a fleetwide change in their wine & cocktail lists this Fall.

With the wine package you can only get the wine in any dining room/specialty restaurant. They will store remaining wine for another time & you could have it in a different dining venue (it helps them locate it faster if you give them information about your previous location). You can also take the bottle with you to drink anywhere on the ship because the 15% fee has been paid.

I don’t have any personal experience with how long it takes to get the remaining wine at a different dining location. We have traditional dining so our waitstaff automatically brings our wine when we arrive.

Princess recently announced a fleetwide change in their wine & cocktail lists this Fall.

Thank you! I actually found some of the answers elsewhere on the same thread. I am terrible with the thread format. Happy cruising and again thanks for being helpful

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

I prefer the Princess PBP to Celebrity's where there are two packages. On the Classic Package the one Celebrity often promotes as an included benefit, the wines were very limited. And even on upgrading for more money each day, the wines were not much better than the ones on the PBP. Celebrity does give you the option with their Premium package to buy for the cost difference any wine by the glass. Princess PBP works better for us. Especially with the option to carry on a few nicer bottles and pay corkage $15 fee vs what Celebrity offers - only two bottles at $25 each.

Hi folks. I never did get around to doing what I said I would do this spring. We returned from our 60-night cruise around S.A. and I had all the wine details captured on phone camera. However, I got busy back home and one thing to another. Not long ago, I heard the wine list was all changing and I also knew drinks had gone up, so I expected wine-by-the-glass and bottle pricing to go up. Princess was to be re-vamping the wine list (I can only hope for the better as they had been offering more "plonk" than ever before at ridiculous mark-ups).

I don't have any information (details, photos, prices) on new wine menus and would appreciate having same as I would do a new list for this fall. I suspect some labels were running out of stock as Princess intended to make significant changes going forward. Have not been on a ship since March and won't be on again until February - and that is going to be in Australia, so no good.

My work was designed for the North American market with sailings from US or Canadian ports. Price comparisons were for buying wine at retail in Florida.

If anyone can post current wine menus from MDR and Specialty Restaurants (they may have a few additional labels), that would be appreciated and I can update and post a new spreadsheet. That said, regardless of the changes, I expect that BYOW is still going to be the most economical way to having good value wine on board that you know you will enjoy. I have proven that with three different versions of Princess menus.

we have found it easier to get the good wine from the Vines and then we can drink it anywhere including the dining areas.

Don't know if they do this anymore,. but we were on the Royal Princess a couple of years ago and in the Vines and dining rooms we always asked to see the "sale menu" for wine. Yes they had a sale menu. Have never seen it since.

Until recently they carried a Sanctuary brand zinfandel I believe that we loved. Haven't seen it for a while now.

I know in the fall Princess is changing its wine menus

we have found it easier to get the good wine from the Vines and then we can drink it anywhere including the dining areas.

Don't know if they do this anymore,. but we were on the Royal Princess a couple of years ago and in the Vines and dining rooms we always asked to see the "sale menu" for wine. Yes they had a sale menu. Have never seen it since.

Until recently they carried a Sanctuary brand zinfandel I believe that we loved. Haven't seen it for a while now.

I just hope it is in time for our October 23rd. sailing!! (yn)

My DD and shared a bottle in the dining room and then went to the Crown Grill and it took them forever to track it down and get it to us, but that was unusual.

.... (y) x 10