Top tip for first cruise ?

I enjoy reading all the great advice and responses to posts on the forum . As its my first cruise comin up in May on the Symphony of the Seas can I ask from your expierences what would be your one top tip / piece of advice you can give so that I get the best out of my time onboard ?

Thanks.

Mine isn't ship-specific, but general. Read the cruise compass delivered to your cabin daily, cover to cover, so you know what is going on. However, you won't be able to do everything, so just have fun! Don't worry about what you may be missing, or feel that you have to stick to any plans you may make, or even attend any planned activities at all.

It's YOUR vacation...so do what YOU want to do! If some activity isn't your "thing"...don't do it!

Research your ports, so you can get the most from your time ashore. Don't book any excursions until you see what is available via a guidebook in each port....most things don't require or need a guide! You can save a bundle if what interests you doesn't require an excursion! The more you know, the better off you are!

Then go and enjoy! It's a vacation...that's all!

Within your reservation online RCCL makes it sound like the e-docs are important. They are not so important. 17 pages of which you might have interest in 2 or 3.

But make sure you check in onlineand print the Set Sail Pass and bring it with you to board. 1 per cabin except Oasis and Quantum class ships which have 1 per person.

pre book entertainment

they open up reserved seats upon no shows around 10 minutes pre show...but better to have a reservation to see the stuff you really want. since you are doing Europe your focus will be likely more on the ports than the ship but the ship is an attraction itself...have been on the sister ships and they are really well organized. but there are a lot of passengers so the earlier you book your shows likely the better.

good advice so far is to not and try to do to much...you have a high probability of becoming addicted to cruising so will get to try other stuff out later.

DON'T DO IT. Go to Euro Disney or Disney World or anything else. Cruising is just as addicting as cigarettes or any other drug. We all thought, we were strong enough to handle just one. Then ok we can handle another one. Now we are hooked. Save money for our kids college, h*ll no lets cruise. Pay the mortgage on the home, h*ll no let's cruise. There are no programs to help us, there are no Telethons to help us. Have you heard about any Royal Family helping people addicted to cruising?

get to the port early...remember, your vacation starts that day. Dh and I like to get to the port and watch the previous cruises still coming off the ship. I love to sit and chat with the other guests while we wait to board. Have a great time!! It is addicting!

On port days, bring the cruise compass with you when you get off the ship. It has the port authority, embassy, consulate contact info "just in case".

This reminded me that you should use a watch instead of a cell phone for time in port. Sometimes ship time is different than port time and cell phones may update to local time. You do not want to miss the ship.

Top tip is to plan your evenings before you board. Make it a rough plan at least. Book your entertainment through cruise planner, spreading major shows over the 7 days. Plan your meals around the show times you have booked.

Do a little bit of research on port stops so that you have some idea of what you are going to do at each stop.

It gets a little busy on the first day so pace yourself. No need to see and explore everything on the first day or two. Let things calm down and ease yourself into cruise mode.

If spa, gym, thermal suite interest you then going there on the first day and asking for a tour is a good idea.

Relax while on the ship. If you like nice quiet spaces then Central Park is great. If you like busy spaces then boardwalk is a good place to hang out. If the weather isn't great, then hang out in the promenade.

One final top tip which is a little unconventional. Instead of trying to cram in as much as possible, leave a little for the next time. We were on Allure when it was doing the Med itinerary. Thought the ship was amazing but didn't get to do everything. Did a subsequent cruise on sister ship Oasis. Then another back on Allure. Enjoyed all three by not thinking it was going to be our one and only opportunity.

This reminded me that you should use a watch instead of a cell phone for time in port. Sometimes ship time is different than port time and cell phones may update to local time. You do not want to miss the ship.

Good point, One of the first things we do when we board the ship is turn off automatic time setting on our phones.