Experts, PLEASE help me decide on Baltic cruise -- NCL Getaway vs. RCI Explorer

lamb616

I am SOOO torn and need help. This is our first trip to Europe. It will be our first non-Disney cruise. It's myself (single mom) and my son, 15, and daughter 11. We (well, mostly me, lol) want to start seeing Europe and I let my son decide where to start. He has always been partial to the Northern European countries, which is why we're going with Baltic. We decided on NCL, 9 nts. on Getaway. We are booked for next July (2019). Itinerary:

1Copenhagen, Denmark---5:00 PMday2Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany7:30 AM10:00 PMday3At Sea---day4Helsinki, Finland8:00 AM5:00 PMday5St. Petersburg, Russian Federation7:00 AM---day6St. Petersburg, Russian Federation---7:00 PMday7Tallinn, Estonia8:00 AM5:00 PMday8Stockholm, Sweden8:00 AM4:00 PMday9At Sea---10Copenhagen, Denmark

The plan is to arrive in copenhagen a few days early (2-3). After the cruise, we plan to fly to Amsterdam and stay there for 2-3 nts. before heading home to the US.

When we originally started planning this trip, we both (me and my son....my daughter doesn't care, she's just along for the ride, lol) really wanted to go to Norway, but we didn't see anything that included Norway. Only cruises that were mostly Norway, and we didn't want that as we want to see as many countries as possible (crossing off bucket list type of thing). We've done a lot of research, and we are excited about spending a few days in Denmark and Netherlands, in addition to the cruise. Although, I have been a little wary about having to book hotels, and transport and navigating our way around on our own (which is why I like the idea of a cruise being our hotel and bringing us from one place to the next). But, I would manage, and we already have our day trips in each country planned.

We've watched videos of the Getaway and are really impressed with how spectacular it looks.

The only down side to this whole plan is that we've really been bummed about missing norway.

So, SOMEHOW, I totally missed the 14 nt. Scan/Russia cruise on RCI. IDK how I missed it! Maybe it was released after I already booked!?!? It includes 2 stops in Norway! The only port we miss out on is Germany, which we don't care about because it was already agreed that we want to do a full trip to Germany one day, so we didn't care much about the 1 day at that port. So as far as actual ports, I feel like the RCI one wins. But........(continued below itinerary)

ayPorts of CallArrivalDepartureday1Southampton (London), England---4:30 PMday2At Sea---day3Oslo, Norway10:30 AM5:00 PMday4Copenhagen, Denmark9:30 AM5:00 PMday5At Sea--day6Tallinn, Estonia11:00 AM6:00 PMday7St. Petersburg, Russian Federation7:00 AM---day8St. Petersburg, Russian Federation---6:00 PMday9Helsinki, Finland7:00 AM3:00 PMday10Stockholm, Sweden7:00 AM6:00 PMday11At Sea------ day12Skagen, Denmark8:00 AM5:00 PMday13Stavanger, Norway8:30 AM5:30 PMday14At Sea---deay15Southampton (London), England5:30 AM---

But, the Explorer of the Seas doesn't look as impressive as the Getaway. On the other hand, with such a Port Intensive cruise, I don't know how much time we'll be spending on the ship's activities anyways. But, on the OTHER, other hand......the RCI cruise has 4 At sea days, so would be nice to have a lot of activities to choose from.

Also on the other hand, with RCI being 14 nights, doesn't leave us time to do any substantial pre and post cruise stays. We'd probably arrive 2 days before just to be safe and to rest up, but we'd head home upon debarkation. So we'll miss out on our little mini-vacations to Denmark and Netherlands, :(. But on the plus side, I wouldn't have to worry about researching/dealing with finding hotels, transportation, etc. etc. We were going to have to fly from Copenhagen to Amsterdam after the cruise, which isn't a HUGE deal, just a bit of a hassle (and added expense). So I'm bummed to miss out on spending time in Denmark & Netherlands, BUT -- Norway!

Also, with the RCI, I feel like 4 At Sea days are such a waste. Two at sea days, sure....but 4? I'd much rather be off doing or seeing something than stuck on a ship.

I am completely torn. On the one hand, I like the idea of the cruise being longer, then I don't have to deal with paying for hotels, meals, transportation, etc. etc. On the other hand, I'm sure it would be kind of nice being able to wander around on our own for a few days, and I already have our day trips in Denmark and Netherlands planned. But, I realllly, realllllly, want to see Norway. It is #1 on my list of Baltic ports. I was willing to give it up to be able to see #s 2-7, but, I was sad about it.

And the 4 at sea days would be much more palatable if it was on a SPECTACULAR ship. And from my quick review, the RCI Explorer looks just ok, not like WOW!

NCL is refundable so it's not a big deal for me to cancel it and book RCI. RCI deposit is nonrefundable so I can't change my mind after (I know they have higher fares that are refundable, it's like $1000 more for that which I'm not willing to pay).

HELP. I cant think about anything else until this is decided.

I'm no expert by any means, but is this your only chance, realistically, of visiting Norway? If so, and if that is so important, perhaps that is the deciding factor.

One strategy for deciding is to "choose" one option and live with it for a day. Do you feel relieved or regretful? Then switch, and try again for a day of living with that decision.

Both options may really leave you feeling like you are missing something that the other option includes. If so, realize that neither is a bad choice, just a different one. Life is full of these quandries! The important thing is that, once you choose, let it go! Don't waste energy on vascillating anymore after you choose; focus instead on how happy you are about the choice you made.

I've cruise Explorer twice, and I've cruised Getaway's sister ship (Escape). First, let me say that, I think Explorer is the more impressive ship. Getaway has an impressed lido deck with those great waterslides, but Explorer is the more impressive ship inside. The Royal Promenade and that beautiful 3 story dining room are a sight to see. Plus, Explorer has a much less crowded lido deck with larger pools, great views from the Viking Crown Lounge, and the entire ship feels much more roomy. The class of ships Getaway is in is very, VERY crowded.

Plus, you've already convinced yourself that Explorer has the better itinerary, not to mention 5 more nights. I won't argue with you there. I totally agree.

If I were you, I would switch to Explorer.

The ship becomes less important when the ports rock.

Royal are known for putting on great entertainment whatever the ship so I think you will enjoy her. We like NCL and Royal the same tbh but Royal just know how to maximise a ship!

Personally, Copenhagen isn't one of Europe's great cities to me so I don't think its a biggie missing out but each to their own. The Netherlands and Amsterdam are great BUT if you are planning to go to Germany for a land break it is very easy to see the Netherlands with an amazing train service between Germany and the Netherlands.The two countries are neighbours and European trains are fab. Your RCL cruise goes to Copenhagen anyway.

Also, we have sailed out of Southampton with Royal and they were great and our 2 sea days were fun. Most longer cruises will have 3+ sea days.

I would go for Royal all the way, you'll love it.

With European itineraries there tend to be few sea days. You tend to have long days touring, so in the evening, you are less interested in the onboard activities. So I would go with the itinerary/cost over the ship and its bells and whistles.

Also, I just noticed your sea days are really spread out which is perfect.

Trust me, you need those sea days especially after the Tallin to Stockholm stretch which will be a variety of time changes and is very port intensive. We loved our Baltic cruise for how much we saw but we were glad for those sea days!

Thanks for posts, they really helped a lot. I am leaning towards RC. We are early risers/not night people and are usually in bed by 8-9 pm, and I'm sure we will be even moreso after walking around these ports. So, I have to keep in mind this trip is more about the ports and less about the ship. To me the ship is mostly a place to sleep and get me from one place to the next.

My main concern now which I didn't think of before is how we will fare being on a ship for 14 days! we've only done 3-4 night cruises (I did do a 7 nt. Many years ago), so this is quite a leap. But, I have a 5 year plan of visiting all (well, most) of Europe, and as I am a single mom who basically lives paycheck to paycheck, this seems to be the most realistic and most efficient way to accomplish my plan, aside from backpacking my way around which is definitely NOT happening, lol.. :D

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've been on the Getaway and it was designed for Miami cruising. Much of the outside is suited to warm weather cruising. Most of its sailings this past summer did NOT sail through the archipelago in Stockholm which was a disappointment. I have been on the Explorer and thought it was a very nice ship. With nothing else but the ship to consider I would go with RCL. Keep in mind that with the tensions with Russia, you may not be going to St. Petersburg. Would that be an issue for you?

I've been on the Getaway and it was designed for Miami cruising. Much of the outside is suited to warm weather cruising. Most of its sailings this past summer did NOT sail through the archipelago in Stockholm which was a disappointment. I have been on the Explorer and thought it was a very nice ship. With nothing else but the ship to consider I would go with RCL. Keep in mind that with the tensions with Russia, you may not be going to St. Petersburg. Would that be an issue for you?
This is for next summer (2019), so who knows what will be going on with Russia by then, but no, not an issue even if we skip it. It is at the bottom of our list anyways. Ooooh, maybe they would add extra ports in Norway instead! Now that would be perfect

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We've been on the Getaway twice and really liked it, but for your purposes it sounds like RCI is the better fit. Personally, I would love to have the 4 sea days--especially when they are non-consecutive and when you have a very port intensive cruise. If Norway is important to you, take the ship that goes there.

Plus, I always like the longer cruise! Also, the outside activities may not be as important on a cooler weather cruise.

Otherwise, I don't know if it is doable--havenpt researched it--is it possible to take a short cruie/land tour to Norway from Denmark either pre or post cruise?

• 8 months later...
On 4/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, lamb616 said:

I am SOOO torn and need help. This is our first trip to Europe. It will be our first non-Disney cruise. It's myself (single mom) and my son, 15, and daughter 11. We (well, mostly me, lol) want to start seeing Europe and I let my son decide where to start. He has always been partial to the Northern European countries, which is why we're going with Baltic. We decided on NCL, 9 nts. on Getaway. We are booked for next July (2019). Itinerary:

1Copenhagen, Denmark---5:00 PMday2Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany7:30 AM10:00 PMday3At Sea---day4Helsinki, Finland8:00 AM5:00 PMday5St. Petersburg, Russian Federation7:00 AM---day6St. Petersburg, Russian Federation---7:00 PMday7Tallinn, Estonia8:00 AM5:00 PMday8Stockholm, Sweden8:00 AM4:00 PMday9At Sea---10Copenhagen, Denmark

The plan is to arrive in copenhagen a few days early (2-3). After the cruise, we plan to fly to Amsterdam and stay there for 2-3 nts. before heading home to the US.

When we originally started planning this trip, we both (me and my son....my daughter doesn't care, she's just along for the ride, lol) really wanted to go to Norway, but we didn't see anything that included Norway. Only cruises that were mostly Norway, and we didn't want that as we want to see as many countries as possible (crossing off bucket list type of thing). We've done a lot of research, and we are excited about spending a few days in Denmark and Netherlands, in addition to the cruise. Although, I have been a little wary about having to book hotels, and transport and navigating our way around on our own (which is why I like the idea of a cruise being our hotel and bringing us from one place to the next). But, I would manage, and we already have our day trips in each country planned.

We've watched videos of the Getaway and are really impressed with how spectacular it looks.

The only down side to this whole plan is that we've really been bummed about missing norway.

So, SOMEHOW, I totally missed the 14 nt. Scan/Russia cruise on RCI. IDK how I missed it! Maybe it was released after I already booked!?!? It includes 2 stops in Norway! The only port we miss out on is Germany, which we don't care about because it was already agreed that we want to do a full trip to Germany one day, so we didn't care much about the 1 day at that port. So as far as actual ports, I feel like the RCI one wins. But........(continued below itinerary)

ayPorts of CallArrivalDepartureday1Southampton (London), England---4:30 PMday2At Sea---day3Oslo, Norway10:30 AM5:00 PMday4Copenhagen, Denmark9:30 AM5:00 PMday5At Sea--day6Tallinn, Estonia11:00 AM6:00 PMday7St. Petersburg, Russian Federation7:00 AM---day8St. Petersburg, Russian Federation---6:00 PMday9Helsinki, Finland7:00 AM3:00 PMday10Stockholm, Sweden7:00 AM6:00 PMday11At Sea------ day12Skagen, Denmark8:00 AM5:00 PMday13Stavanger, Norway8:30 AM5:30 PMday14At Sea---deay15Southampton (London), England5:30 AM---

But, the Explorer of the Seas doesn't look as impressive as the Getaway. On the other hand, with such a Port Intensive cruise, I don't know how much time we'll be spending on the ship's activities anyways. But, on the OTHER, other hand......the RCI cruise has 4 At sea days, so would be nice to have a lot of activities to choose from.

Also on the other hand, with RCI being 14 nights, doesn't leave us time to do any substantial pre and post cruise stays. We'd probably arrive 2 days before just to be safe and to rest up, but we'd head home upon debarkation. So we'll miss out on our little mini-vacations to Denmark and Netherlands, :(. But on the plus side, I wouldn't have to worry about researching/dealing with finding hotels, transportation, etc. etc. We were going to have to fly from Copenhagen to Amsterdam after the cruise, which isn't a HUGE deal, just a bit of a hassle (and added expense). So I'm bummed to miss out on spending time in Denmark & Netherlands, BUT -- Norway!

Also, with the RCI, I feel like 4 At Sea days are such a waste. Two at sea days, sure....but 4? I'd much rather be off doing or seeing something than stuck on a ship.

I am completely torn. On the one hand, I like the idea of the cruise being longer, then I don't have to deal with paying for hotels, meals, transportation, etc. etc. On the other hand, I'm sure it would be kind of nice being able to wander around on our own for a few days, and I already have our day trips in Denmark and Netherlands planned. But, I realllly, realllllly, want to see Norway. It is #1 on my list of Baltic ports. I was willing to give it up to be able to see #s 2-7, but, I was sad about it.

And the 4 at sea days would be much more palatable if it was on a SPECTACULAR ship. And from my quick review, the RCI Explorer looks just ok, not like WOW!

NCL is refundable so it's not a big deal for me to cancel it and book RCI. RCI deposit is nonrefundable so I can't change my mind after (I know they have higher fares that are refundable, it's like $1000 more for that which I'm not willing to pay).

HELP. I cant think about anything else until this is decided.

Hi:

I did the exact run in 2017 - loved each and every port - loved the Getaway too. . . 4 days in Copenhagen pre-cruise, rent a car to get around (or a bike) - 3 days in Paris/Normandy post cruise.....   The weather will be perfect for your trip and dont forget your Visas for St. Petersburg; I hope you see it, I promise its BEAUTIFUL.....  

BTW  NCL has a great 14 days to Norway with the Spirit (in May)  FYI

russia.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sailing dot said:

Hi:

I did the exact run in 2017 - loved each and every port - loved the Getaway too. . . 4 days in Copenhagen pre-cruise, rent a car to get around (or a bike) - 3 days in Paris/Normandy post cruise.....   The weather will be perfect for your trip and dont forget your Visas for St. Petersburg; I hope you see it, I promise its BEAUTIFUL.....  

No Visa is required for cruise ship passengers. To proceed ashore, you require a daily tour ticket from a ship's tour, or a tour from 1 of the major Russian tour operators. Your daily tour ticket and passport are presented to Russian Immigration on departing the ship and the tour ticket is accepted as your Visa. You must remain with the tour group and must return to the ship, no independent sight-seeing is permitted.

If you want to tour independently or stay ashore over-night, then a visitor Visa is required.

34 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

No Visa is required for cruise ship passengers. To proceed ashore, you require a daily tour ticket from a ship's tour, or a tour from 1 of the major Russian tour operators. Your daily tour ticket and passport are presented to Russian Immigration on departing the ship and the tour ticket is accepted as your Visa. You must remain with the tour group and must return to the ship, no independent sight-seeing is permitted.

If you want to tour independently or stay ashore over-night, then a visitor Visa is required.

I'm sure she would have been notified of the Visa requirement/option by the tour company;  the ones I used were very helpful.  

On 4/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, Velvetwater said:

The ship becomes less important when the ports rock.

Royal are known for putting on great entertainment whatever the ship so I think you will enjoy her. We like NCL and Royal the same tbh but Royal just know how to maximise a ship!

Personally, Copenhagen isn't one of Europe's great cities to me so I don't think its a biggie missing out but each to their own. The Netherlands and Amsterdam are great BUT if you are planning to go to Germany for a land break it is very easy to see the Netherlands with an amazing train service between Germany and the Netherlands.The two countries are neighbours and European trains are fab. Your RCL cruise goes to Copenhagen anyway.

Also, we have sailed out of Southampton with Royal and they were great and our 2 sea days were fun. Most longer cruises will have 3+ sea days.

I would go for Royal all the way, you'll love it.

"The ship becomes less important when the ports rock."

Very True!!!!!!!

A few things from someone that lives in Sweden.

We have taken several cruise ferries in the Baltic sea, we have been to Poland, Estonia two times and several times to Finland. Keep in mind that out at sea the wind can make it a bit chilly. 

Tallinn is fantastic. When you get of the ship, look for a tall church tower. Walk in that direction and you will get to the Old town. 

Stockholm, I know that NCL often docks in Nynäshamn. That's NOT Stockholm, you will be spending a lot of time getting into Stockholm and you miss the archipelago.

Norway is EXPENSIVE. Taking a land trip there won't be cheap. 

Edited by Extra Kim

I am so glad I stumbled across this thread - I was looking at a 2020 Baltic’s cruise, and had the same dilemma - the 9-night NCL Escape or 14-night RCI Independence.  I was leaning towards RCI as we would like to spend a few nights pre or post in London.  

On 12/27/2018 at 8:25 PM, RSLeesburg said:

I am so glad I stumbled across this thread - I was looking at a 2020 Baltic’s cruise, and had the same dilemma - the 9-night NCL Escape or 14-night RCI Independence.  I was leaning towards RCI as we would like to spend a few nights pre or post in London.  

It's so hard to decide!  Another thing to keep in mind, which is the whole reason I posted this thread -- sometimes all the cruise lines have not released all their itineraries so far!!  This is about the time last year that I booked our summer 2019 cruise, and at the time the 14 night RCI had not been released yet.  So I would say, check back on your options in a couple months to see if anything else has been added!  I am so glad I kept looking even after we booked because we SO BADLY wanted a couple days in Norway and were so bummed we couldn't find a cruise that included it, until RCI added it a couple months later.