Project Runway?

BlueHerons

While I like Margharita's fabric I don't believe it is for everyone. I would have preferred Kenya to show as I believe she can dress all women of all sizes. But it's all about those 2 choices and hers just didn't live up to what the judges wanted. Too bad Tim said to put the cover on the black dress, bad move.

OK, I am just home from a long, LONG, L--O--N--G day (starting at 3 am) at the hospital with a loved one who had some non-emergency but necessary out-patient surgery; but instead of going to bed -- which I REALLY need to do -- I am posting about Project Runway...

What is WRONG with me???????

Seriously, though, did anyone else feel like every single designer tonight showed one really strong garment and one unflattering or mundane one?

And what about Nina's criticism of what was actually Tim's suggestion to Kenya to add the "tulle coat with the pearls over the little black dress" -- OUCH!!! Poor Kenya, who listened to Tim! I agree with Nina! Though the black dress was not absolutely perfect, I NEVER thought the sheer long jacket over it was an improvement. I might have at least tried the other jacket Kenya had in her collection -- the hip-length peach one with the black beading on it -- over the black dress, but that long sheer one? Nope! And oh how bad I felt for that model's bosom in Kenya's LBD -- not a flattering look.

And Ayana's shiny tunic and skinny pants for her bigger model ... really?????? J.C. Penney, here we come!!

It was interesting to me that every judge seemed to echo Tim's advice to Margarita to take her collection "from the beach to the street." I am not ashamed to admit that Margarita's bell-bottoms-on-steroids (with the cool navy top) was, hands down, my absolute favorite!

I was SO disappointed in Kentaro's black and white look -- I like his personality SO much, and his style, too, actually, that I wished he had been better able to translate who he is into this look for this "finale" runway. on the other hand, I really liked his peach pleated skirt and "origami" top -- except for the side-boob problem...

I have been a big fan of Brandon's throughout the entire season, because he seems like simply a really sweet, nice human being, and also, his designs are something the likes of which I have NEVER seen nor even imagined! I would not wear ANYTHING he designs, but I still love his style. I was, however, very, very disappointed in his plus-size look tonight -- so VERY unflattering!!!!! It would have been unflattering on ANY model, but particularly so, IMO, on the model he designed it for.

I have to say that I am extremely surprised that Margarita made it to fashion week! I did not believe in her through the whole season! I'm still not sure I believe in her -- In spite of that fabulous bell-bottom pants look she made... And Kenya? When the judges themselves said that they loved Kenya throughout the entire season, but did not choose her for fashion week -- that was unexpected. And, considering what they said about Kentaro, and what he said about himself, that the judges took Kentaro on to fashion week was equally surprising to me, much as I like him...

Since I have not looked at what the designers have already shown at Fashion Week, I await with excited anticipation next week's show!

While I like Margharita's fabric I don't believe it is for everyone. I would have preferred Kenya to show as I believe she can dress all women of all sizes. But it's all about those 2 choices and hers just didn't live up to what the judges wanted. Too bad Tim said to put the cover on the black dress, bad move.

Tim's eye is apparently quite different from the judges. He has made several suggestions over the course of the season that the judges ended up panning.

I’m loving Margarita’s prints, really interesting departure from the other designer’s soft color palettes.

The fit on Kenya’s black dress was what I believe her downfall, especially for someone who typically does such an amazing job on the curvy models. The models breasts were just so unflattering, a girl that age should have “girls” that are standing at attention so to speak, gravity should have not visited her and the dress should have showcased that. If you’re going for décolletage then it should be spot on, otherwise cover it up.

Brandon is just such a new and refreshing point of view, his runway will be exciting. I’m not sure how he will translate into RTW but his is definitely a collection I want to see.

While I like the concept of modest clothing I just find some of Ayana’s looks to be kind of boring but then some really beautiful. There’s never really an “eh” for me it’s either love it or hate it.

Kentaro seems like he is lost right now, he changed what he told Tim was his inspiration and Tim looked confused. During the home visit he said music was his inspiration and then spewed some nonsense about rocks and sand that truly made no sense. I wish they had sent him home and left Kenya honestly.

I am looking forward to next week for sure!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmm. It was definitely a tough call last night. There really were no dogs among the final 5, seriously. I mean, in addition to being good/great designers, they've all seemed like genuinely nice people throughout. (Okay, I've occasionally found Margarita to be annoying, but she's not a diva or anything.) Makes it that much harder to root for one over another. I was dismayed by Kenya's 2 looks - I wonder how she would have done had she chosen any 2 others from her collection?

It seemed almost like they all chose one good representation of their collections and one that was questionable. Maybe to get feedback how to fix it? Holding back the "Wow" looks? I don't know.

The only thing that might keep Brandon from winning, I think, could be that they find his collection too cohesive, too much of the same thing. Of course, we really only saw a mass of fabric hanging and only 2 looks on models, so it remains to be seen.

I love his fabric choice. So unusual and interesting! It could have been just weird, yet he somehow makes it classy and cool.

I don't know -- I have to admit I have not really been able to get onboard the Kenya train this season. A lot of her looks have been well tailored but sort of "church lady-ish".

Likewise, I wasn't thrilled with the two looks that Ayana wanted to send down the runway originally. (I dub them the "Little House on the Prairie" dresses.) There's covered and then there's frumpy. I liked one of the two looks she sent down the runway last night MUCH better than either of those two. It will be interesting to see if her collection is more like what she actually showed or what she intended to show...

I do like Brandon and his cool vibe. I agree though that he seems to have an awful lot of same-ness on that rack. I am going to guess that the designers will probably have to create ("at the last minute!") one additional look next week -- it should be interesting to see where he goes with it.

Margerita's collection surprised me. I don't think I'd wear much of it, but it was more interesting than I thought it would be.

Kentaro has long been my favorite. I think his "vision" is a bit more sophisticated than Brandon's but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I agree he showed one great look and one "dud" last night. I bet he will use the feedback to fix the dud before the runway or will leave it out entirely.

I don't know -- I have to admit I have not really been able to get onboard the Kenya train this season. A lot of her looks have been well tailored but sort of "church lady-ish".

Likewise, I wasn't thrilled with the two looks that Ayana wanted to send down the runway originally. (I dub them the "Little House on the Prairie" dresses.) There's covered and then there's frumpy. I liked one of the two looks she sent down the runway last night MUCH better than either of those two. It will be interesting to see if her collection is more like what she actually showed or what she intended to show...

I do like Brandon and his cool vibe. I agree though that he seems to have an awful lot of same-ness on that rack. I am going to guess that the designers will probably have to create ("at the last minute!") one additional look next week -- it should be interesting to see where he goes with it.

Margerita's collection surprised me. I don't think I'd wear much of it, but it was more interesting than I thought it would be.

Kentaro has long been my favorite. I think his "vision" is a bit more sophisticated than Brandon's but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I agree he showed one great look and one "dud" last night. I bet he will use the feedback to fix the dud before the runway or will leave it out entirely.

"Little Home on the Prairie" was exactly what I thought about those two ruffly dresses of Ayana's. ha ha. Tim advised her well.

When they did the overview of Kenya's looks for the season it brought home to me how often she was safe and I thought she had a top look. I loved most of those looks. Interesting they didn't do that for the other designers.

Kentaro almost shot himself in the foot with his answer to their question. He is obviously still not comfy with English, though his language skills have grown even over the course of the season. And what he did to those poor models was horrible -- they looked like angry men. When Tim did his visit I was blown away by what Kentaro had created. Not sure how much made it to NYC.

Brandon's esthetic would suit me to a T (except for cut outs on this old body). I love him. Is he over confident? Could be.

If you want to see the collection Kenya actually sent down the runway, here's a link:

http://ani-izzy.com/2017/11/10/project-runway-s16-kenyas-nyfw/

Thanks for posting that link -- I am generally underwhelmed by Kenya's collection. The only one I was impressed by was the "sloppy shirt and the tinsel skirt," which Ani and Izzy (website) panned! I kind of liked the final look, too.

The only one I liked was the print dress that looked like it might be a wrap dress. Am I imagining seeing parts of the model's anatomy due to being braless?

Oh, no, I don't believe you were imagining that! :o

As I watched the show and saw the comments by the designers I had a thought of who might win. Then when I saw the runway show, I picked the winner. No one would ever accuse me of being a fashionista, I can barely dress myself but I did prefer the designs of the winner.

I thought the judges got it right. Then I took a look at a recap with side-by-side pictures of each piece. Wow. When seen side-by-side each collection is really wonderful. Any one of the finalists could have won. Best season yet.

Agree it was one of the best seasons.

I'm surprised by the winner. Not shocked, just surprised. All the collections were great, but there was one that I thought for sure would win and didn't. I can't go into further details without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't watched yet.

Hi all!

I have to agree, the designers this season were great, both in their actions & deeds. They all did seem to get along well but I guess next week we'll see some drama.

I was hoping one of the girls would win as I liked their collections better. Oh well I know nothing about fashion, just what looks good to me.

I did love that last look from Aiyana & the surprise from Margarita.

Great season for sure!

~ Jo ~ :)

Finally! There were all those beautiful designs I saw on display when Tim visited the winner! Once they started coming down the runway I knew he had it sewn up (pun intended). The only thing JC Penney used was a pair of white pleather leggings and an asymmetrical top that bore no resemblance to his design. I don't think his clothes are JC Penney friendly at all.

As to my personal favorite: Instead of just praising him Tim should have asked where his "wow" piece was. There wasn't one, just terrific clothes with not enough variety in color/look to keep you excited. The dude has a great esthetic but obviously no clue how to put on a runway show.

I still agree with the poster that called those ruffled dresses "Little House on the Prairie" but all her other modest stuff was great.

The other collection had its moments. She certainly knew how to use the runway (that bathing suit reveal!) but it felt sort of cheap overall to me. You'd certainly see some of those outfits on cruise ships, however.

It was certainly a better foursome than many seasons in the past.