Can I bring honey and maple syrup

jcCruiserNYC

I totally disagree. This poster gave a sincere and forthcoming response.

I get op’s concern about hfcs, but this is in soooooo many food items today it’s almost impossible to avoid. It is 100% impossible to avoid on a cruise ship. And if that is her concern, she should know that simply bringing on honey and maple syrup will actually NOT avoid consumption of hfcs.

Exactly my point. Unless you eat 100% whole foods, and that is impossible to do on a cruise ship, you are consuming junk and chemicals.

Are you bringing your own meals too?! It's a cruise ship. I doubt anything is made without high fructose corn syrup and other crap.

If you can't answer nicely, then don't answer at all.

I think the OP asked a very good question no need for rude answers.

It can't be taken on a plane.

It can if you check your bag, I've done it many times. I hate having to lift my bag into a small compartment overhead on the plane ... checking is so much better for so many reasons... JMO ... no one else has to agree.. promise. ;)

No it isn't, but is a good thing for those of us who have diabetes. They still have it readily available in the buffet and on request in the MDR.

I understand that, but the op wasn’t asking for diabetic “breakfast syrup,” they were asking about whether they could bring maple syrup because they didn’t want to be given hfcs “breakfast syrup.”

Not that your info is not valuable for people who can’t have maple syrup, it just is definitely not maple syrup :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, thank you ALL sooooo much for your responses! :halo:

Reading your posts, I just have to smile, giggle, and LOL at a few. One question for two items could yield answers with so many different types of sentiment from so many different personalities. You just got to love the Cruise Critic forums ... and I truly appreciate all the helpful posts. :hearteyes:

I am so glad to learn that I may bring my own honey and maple syrup. I also will have a small jar of turmeric powder and ginger powder, and may be Ceylon cinnamon (the common cinnamon contains a toxin that can damage the liver) with me, just didn't include these in my question because I was pretty sure about the allowance of powdered

and solid foodstuff ... it is the liquid substances that seem to be more restricted due to, from what I've read, some "creative" employment for smuggling booze onto the ship. :evilsmile:

As a couple respondents pointed out, I admit, I won't be able to avoid HFCS completely from cruise ship food. And yes, I intend to enjoy many of the delectable deserts available onboard, and most likely, HFCS is going to be hiding somewhere in them. :eek:

I also don't buy prepared food with canola oil on land, yet this is another ingredient I know I can't avoid completely when dining outside. Nonetheless, I am NOT bringing my own (healthy) oil for the ship kitchens to cook food for me (that would be very funny, haha!)

So, what could one do if one wants to cruise!?! It's worthwhile to limit one's consumption of unhealthy stuff even if one wants to indulge ... better to eat just, say, 20% junk than knowingly eating 100% junk, right?!? I am not living an all-or-nothing philosophy; we do what we can to stay healthy while also have some fun. ;)

As well, like some of you posted, there is another reason for eating the real stuff: Taste. Pure, authentic food tastes better! And just because we are eating "outside" food, it doesn't mean we have to settle for subpar provisions if we can help it.

I know my own dietary peculiarities, and I am not asking the ship to cater to me, instead I just help myself if I may. Fair enough?

Oh, hey ... Hello, Bonni ... Hi, Dex ... our dedicated Roll Call leaders for the "6/10/18 to Bermuda" on the Escape! :ship:

I can't imagine going through an entire week of my life without maple syrup.

Oh wait, yes I can. I mean, while I love the stuff, it's not like I can't go 7 days without it. That's kind of nuts.

We always travel with 100% pure VT Maple Syrup. We don't use it at every meal (that would be nuts), but if we feel like French toast, waffles or pancakes, we want the real thing. we put it in a zip lock in our checked bag. it was pulled once for inspection but went through. It's also a great conversation starter at breakfast for those who know nothing about the process of boiling syrup. The crew is also very interested in it as well. We always give our left overs to a very appreciative crew member.

First, thank you ALL sooooo much for your responses! :halo:

Reading your posts, I just have to smile, giggle, and LOL at a few. One question for two items could yield answers with so many different types of sentiment from so many different personalities. You just got to love the Cruise Critic forums ... and I truly appreciate all the helpful posts. :hearteyes:

I am so glad to learn that I may bring my own honey and maple syrup. I also will have a small jar of turmeric powder and ginger powder, and may be Ceylon cinnamon (the common cinnamon contains a toxin that can damage the liver) with me, just didn't include these in my question because I was pretty sure about the allowance of powdered

and solid foodstuff ... it is the liquid substances that seem to be more restricted due to, from what I've read, some "creative" employment for smuggling booze onto the ship. :evilsmile:

As a couple respondents pointed out, I admit, I won't be able to avoid HFCS completely from cruise ship food. And yes, I intend to enjoy many of the delectable deserts available onboard, and most likely, HFCS is going to be hiding somewhere in them. :eek:

I also don't buy prepared food with canola oil on land, yet this is another ingredient I know I can't avoid completely when dining outside. Nonetheless, I am NOT bringing my own (healthy) oil for the ship kitchens to cook food for me (that would be very funny, haha!)

So, what could one do if one wants to cruise!?! It's worthwhile to limit one's consumption of unhealthy stuff even if one wants to indulge ... better to eat just, say, 20% junk than knowingly eating 100% junk, right?!? I am not living an all-or-nothing philosophy; we do what we can to stay healthy while also have some fun. ;)

As well, like some of you posted, there is another reason for eating the real stuff: Taste. Pure, authentic food tastes better! And just because we are eating "outside" food, it doesn't mean we have to settle for subpar provisions if we can help it.

I know my own dietary peculiarities, and I am not asking the ship to cater to me, instead I just help myself if I may. Fair enough?

Oh, hey ... Hello, Bonni ... Hi, Dex ... our dedicated Roll Call leaders for the "6/10/18 to Bermuda" on the Escape! :ship:

Yep, it doesn't take too long to figure us out.

At least you didn't ask if you could bring your own mattress.

I did not like the syrup on our last cruise so we will bring some small bottles of maple syrup i got from vermont country store magazine.we always bring small things of coffeemate french vanilla i get at walmart have to have it for our coffee on our balcony.next cruise in 18 days can,t wait