How are Viking crew treated?

Twitchly

Most members here need to understand a very important fact here. Except for a few cruise ships flagged in American, the United States standards do not apply. You cannot look at the way things are done in the United States and what is normal and try to apply to other countries. Crews are treated as labor and workers, they have value to the company as long as they can preform the job they have been hired for. If they become ill or cannot perform they are replaced. While it may offend many here the crews are looked at as just another system on the ships.

They take a contract finish it and then go home. They take these jobs because they are better than other jobs offered. Not because they like the company or the passengers but because it is the best job they can get. The cruise lines are responsible to the shareholders as a shareholders we really do not care about crews, just that the job is done and the cost is as low as it can be.

My fellow Americans should really stop trying to impose US western values on other parts of the World.

I have tried to compose several different responses to this post, but words fail me. Let me just say, this is simply one of the most bizarre things I have read on this site.

To all Viking crew: "Thanks for all you do to make our journeys memorable." And to Viking Cruises: "Thanks for selecting such great staff members, and providing them with an environment where they are able to do their jobs so admirably."

• Like 1

I, as well, could not come up with a response, but his/her signature reads:

Remember you can adjust or remove the Daily Gratuity Service Fee, Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) , up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment.

Remember you can adjust or remove the Daily Gratuity Service Fee, Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) , up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment.

I had not seen that part. Really rather amazing. I stopped at the end of the post as I had read enough.

And your point here is what? I believe everyone here can read and understand basic English. Again I follow the contract, we agree to a contract for passage, if any issues the correct and legal ways fix is with the contract and the law. The fact that service fees can be removed or adjusted is again just something found within cruise line contracts. (For those lines charging these fees).

But this does not help the OP what helps them is get a 100% refund through a credit card dispute if the line does nothing to fix or a very large discount for what has happen to them.

Most members here need to understand a very important fact here. Except for a few cruise ships flagged in American, the United States standards do not apply. You cannot look at the way things are done in the United States and what is normal and try to apply to other countries. Crews are treated as labor and workers, they have value to the company as long as they can preform the job they have been hired for. If they become ill or cannot perform they are replaced. While it may offend many here the crews are looked at as just another system on the ships.

They take a contract finish it and then go home. They take these jobs because they are better than other jobs offered. Not because they like the company or the passengers but because it is the best job they can get. The cruise lines are responsible to the shareholders as a shareholders we really do not care about crews, just that the job is done and the cost is as low as it can be.

My fellow Americans should really stop trying to impose US western values on other parts of the World.

All I can do is SMH and bite my tongue.

Why should guest thank anyone form just doing their jobs? It is the job of the crew to make your cruise the best it can be. It is the job of the cruise line to hire staff that can do this and to give them the support that they need.

No reason in the World to reward anyone for just doing the job they have been paid to do. If they (crew) do not want to provide great service terminate and replace them with staff that will. . If the cruise line believes they can cut corners and provide poor service they will go out of business.

As guest we have no responsibility to improve the World we are not joining the Peace Corp or a NGO group we are paying for services and getting what we have paid for.

Really cannot understand why we even talk about these things???..... They are just doing what they should do... it is called capitalism and business.

To all Viking crew: "Thanks for all you do to make our journeys memorable." And to Viking Cruises: "Thanks for selecting such great staff members, and providing them with an environment where they are able to do their jobs so admirably."

I’m the OP. I asked because I prefer to give my business to humane companies when possible. And this isn’t just “Western” values. I see you live in the Philippines. I also lived there for some years and found most Filipino people to be very friendly and kind. Kindness is universal.

People are always free to pick companies and business for reasons they feel are important to them. But everyone needs to respect and understand that others may not share the same reasons and concerns when making the same choices. Everyone is free to have a opinion and make these choices.

If one person feels saving the staff is important that is a choice they can make. If another says I do not care about the staff beyond them doing the job they have been paid to do, that is also a choice.

I’m the OP. I asked because I prefer to give my business to humane companies when possible. And this isn’t just “Western” values. I see you live in the Philippines. I also lived there for some years and found most Filipino people to be very friendly and kind. Kindness is universal.

Twitchly,

I most heartily agree that kindness and decency are found throughout the world, and in all cultures I have encountered. Sadly, it appears it is not universal. I found your original thread contained some very interesting information and stories I enjoyed. However, I am done here.

They take a contract finish it and then go home. They take these jobs because they are better than other jobs offered. Not because they like the company or the passengers but because it is the best job they can get. The cruise lines are responsible to the shareholders as a shareholders we really do not care about crews

Two points I just have to make:

DO NOT lump me in with YOUR fellow Americans. I do not in any way as an American align with your values.

And

I find YOUR lack of values offensive Expat. I will embrace human kindness towards one another any day over ‘as shareholders we do not care about crews’.

Unbelievable.

Edited by Vineyard View

Things we have heard from several crew members on ( so far) two Ocean cruises: Viking provides free wifi for the crew. On other lines, these people far from home for MONTHS have to PAY to use the Internet. Also have heard on Ocean and River that Viking promotes from within. We had a great conversation with a waiter in the World Cafe, who said he started with Viking as an overnight dishwasher, and was not sure he'd be able to last out his first contract, much less sign another. But someone must have noticed how hard he worked without complaining, because he was offered a promotion for his next contract, and was excited about working his way up to Restaurant Manager in the fullness of time.

Our favorite River waiter was a Concierge the next time we encountered him!

And finally, we had $20 non refundable shipboard credit left at the very end of our Ocean cruise in January, and I asked if I could direct that money to the tip pool. Turns out ALL leftover non-refundable money left in passenger accts automatically goes to the tip pool.

So yes, Viking treats its people very well--and wow, does it show!

Excellent suggestion & observations.

Worth repeating.

Your opinion as an" expat" does explain your moniker in so many ways.

But one of your "facts" does not apply to Viking Ocean Cruise line.

It is not a publicly traded company. It was founded by Mr. Torstein Hagan from Norway. it flies the Norwegian flag.

All crew and passengers on my Viking sailing were examples of service, courtesy, and respect : all fine values that transcend any particular nation or culture.

Do you just scan the different forums looking to repeart your dearly helded opinion about being cheap and ignoring the the suggested gratuity of any cruise line?

I see you have not sailed on a Viking Ocean ship.

I do not think you would be at home with their vision of a cruise line.

Okay! We've been trolled and we all know that the best way to handle a troll is not to engage in argument because that is exactly what trolls want. The best way to handle those who drive you up a wall is to add them to your ignore list; their words will disappear from your feed forever.

Adding someone to your ignore list is simple. Scroll up to the top of the page. Where you see your screen name and avatar, click on the triangle to its right. Choose Control Panel from the list. Then choose "Edit ignore list" along the left side of the page. Where it says "Add a member to your list..." type in a screen name. It is that simple.

Okay! We've been trolled and we all know that the best way to handle a troll is not to engage in argument because that is exactly what trolls want. The best way to handle those who drive you up a wall is to add them to your ignore list; their words will disappear from your feed forever.

Adding someone to your ignore list is simple. Scroll up to the top of the page. Where you see your screen name and avatar, click on the triangle to its right. Choose Control Panel from the list. Then choose "Edit ignore list" along the left side of the page. Where it says "Add a member to your list..." type in a screen name. It is that simple.

I was just thinking I found a good candidate for my ignore list! I need to get in out of that cold wind!