MDR food recommendations?

weathermom

One thing we have noticed as a trend is that first night (embarkation day) MDR operations have become rather hit and miss in terms of timing of courses, how well/whether orders are done to the diner's satisfaction and just the service level in general. We believe this is due to staff cutbacks, crew changeovers and how hectic and busy crew are on a changeover day. By the second night, things are back to expectations.

Because of this, on the first night we often order items off the "always available" side of the menu as they are "old standards" and then start on the second night to try new items and mix the menu as we like.

Just our observations. weathermom, see you in a couple of days on the "beautiful, elegant Westerdam"!

One thing we have noticed as a trend is that first night (embarkation day) MDR operations have become rather hit and miss in terms of timing of courses, how well/whether orders are done to the diner's satisfaction and just the service level in general. We believe this is due to staff cutbacks, crew changeovers and how hectic and busy crew are on a changeover day. By the second night, things are back to expectations.

We had this problem on the Rotterdam. The problem was due to that fact that another couple was assigned to our table and didn't show up. So we waited and waited in spite of asking to order ("Let's just wait a little longer" was his reply). Multiply that by others who don't show up to their assigned tables or don't realize that fixed dining is just that and not a suggestion of a time to show up, and chaos reigns.

Second night the same thing happened but we didn't wait as long.

The other couple never did show and were removed form the table assignment after Day 3.

We had this problem on the Rotterdam. The problem was due to that fact that another couple was assigned to our table and didn't show up. So we waited and waited in spite of asking to order ("Let's just wait a little longer" was his reply). Multiply that by others who don't show up to their assigned tables or don't realize that fixed dining is just that and not a suggestion of a time to show up, and chaos reigns.

Second night the same thing happened but we didn't wait as long.

The other couple never did show and were removed form the table assignment after Day 3.

Forgot about this issue, but it has happened to us too.

I enjoy:

Chilled Fruit Soups

Bisques

Brie and Cranberry on Pastry (can’t remember name)

Cornbread Tamale Cakes (not sure of name)

Avocado and Bacon Burger

Fillet of Beef Wellington

Sole Fillet and most fish dishes

Scallopini, Marsala and Parmigiana recipes

Creme Brulee

Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake

If there are Indonesian dinners during the sailing, they have wonderful food.

Check the Daily Program for any special BBQs near the pool or special meals with foods from a port of call.

Pretzels! Candied Apples!

The Lido usually offers Lasagna daily in the pasta area. I love all their varieties of lasagna (I have seen them offer 2 types daily), and their standard bolognese recipe is so good I could eat it every day.

The fruit tartlets in the Lido are addictive!

From the Room Service Menu:

Club Sandwich

Cobb Salad (add steak or salmon for a dinner salad)

French Onion Soup

Chocolate Cake

Enjoy!

You know, my mother was telling me the other day that she wants to try the MDR for breakfast. This does not excite me because I'm quite happy to go to the lido and get my omelet to order every day, and I don't particularly want to get dressed up for breakfast. But your description of Swedish Pancakes may have changed my mind to give the MDR breakfast a try....

One does not have to get "dressed up" for breakfast in the MDR. Wear what you attend to wear during the day as if you were going ashore for a tour/visit. T-shirts/shorts are fine. Bathing attire, bathrobes, slippers,: those types of garments are not appropriate.

One does not have to get "dressed up" for breakfast in the MDR. Wear what you attend to wear during the day as if you were going ashore for a tour/visit. T-shirts/shorts are fine. Bathing attire, bathrobes, slippers,: those types of garments are not appropriate.

Why draw the line there? Are you some sort of resident fashion police. I see nothing in the HAL guidelines that prohibit this sort of appropriate early morning attire. Next thing you will be demanding we dress up in street clothes to get room service.

:evilsmile: Point is how we still "assume"everyone knows what is okay and what is not. Except when others demand no one is going to tell them what they can or cannot wear in the MDR. (Groan)

I hope no one plans to visit a local nudist camp. On the other hand, there would be any inappropriate garments to worry about....

OK, here's a vote for escargot. Tons of butter and garlic..... yum......

I second this. The escargot is as good as I’ve had anywhere. I also love the banana crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two desserts I’ve enjoyed:

The hot fudge sundae, often served in main dining room for lunch on embarkation day. Reminds me of ice cream parlors of my childhood.

The lemon tart in the Pinnacle Grill.

The ice cream sundaes in the Main Dining Room are very good and they come with my favorite part of any dessert in the MDR, the wafer cookies. I dream about the wafer cookies when I'm not on the ship. I almost always get an ice cream dessert in the MDR, just so I can get extra wafers. After the second day, the waiters know to bring me extra wafers without me asking.

Do they have different special each night? How would you find out this info so you can decide where you want to dine?

Thank you

The menus for the Main Dining Room and Lido dinners are posted outside the rooms each morning. Sometimes there are minor changes by the time dinner comes, but it's mostly accurate.

My husband is a vegetarian and was offered the next night's proposed menu and the Indonesian menu for the next day with our dessert so that he could pick a dish to have prepared for him, or he had the option of just ordering off the regular menu's vegetarian options. But that has been the only time I have advance notice of what's planned for dinner the next day. I have never gotten a week's worth of menus in advance.

On our last cruise, we frequented the MDR for breakfast.

I don't think one has to 'dress' for breakfast, or lunch. Sounds like they are pretty lax even at supper!

Anyhow, do not discount going to the MDR.

Go with your mother and give it a try!

On our last cruise, which was on Princess, it was SO much better than navigating the Lido and standing in line for an omelette made from processed egg food product. (which are sometimes cooked much too quickly at a high temperature, sacrificing quality for time).

It was SO good!

Is the MDR at breakfast the only place to get the pancakes/crepes?

Are they also available at the Grand Dutch Cafe?

The best crepes I found were on the Vista ships at the Lido for breakfast.

My own trick was to get lemons from the coffee tea station and some sugar packets along with a butter packet and make my own lemon-sugar crepe, because at the crepe station itself they only had heavier fillings. Lemon-sugar-butter for me is a classic way to enjoy the basic crepe itself, and they were yummy.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm that Koningsdam has the cold fruit soups on its European sailings? I know they're on the normal menus and I looked at the site for someone currently on a world cruise and they're listed. But I read a post on a FB group where someone who was recently on K'dam complained that there were no cold soups. Of course, he also complained about lack of library so I don't fully trust him (I understand there isn't much of a library there, but there's something and he didn't ask anyone about it).