Live on the Westerdam - Pacific Coastal

Crew News

As always, interested in whatever you have to say:D Particularly, I am interested in dietary labeling--gluten free, no sugar added ,etc. Thanks!

I inquired and learned that all of the Canaletto pastas can be made gluten free. All Lido gluten free items are located in the Pasta Station to include pastas and breads. I will have to ask about pizza for you.

I'd be interested to know passengers' feedback on the "new" Crow's Nest. Thanks.

My initial impression reminded me of a hi-tech vacation and travel expo. There were giant table-sized electronic maps capable of street level around the world. Lots of travel-related books, a small book exchange shelf, an Excursion Desk with five workers, an Explorations Cafe melded into the Crows Nest Bar, and a two-feet wide snack display case of pastries.

On;y a few people were there but I will try to get a sense of what others think. For those who do not remember the previous Crows Nest, it might be "awesome" or "magnificent".

Embarkation Day began with bright sunshine and warming temps that hovered in the upper 60's for most of the day.

The free shuttle from the Best Western Plus Bayside dropped me off at the terminal entrance at 10:15 AM and processing began at 10:25 AM. Security was almost as strict as the airport folks with belts being removed but none of my extension cords/adapters were confiscated. I was shocked when boarding began at 11:30 unlike all of my previous boarding at noon.

I will not repeat my previous list of recognized changes in the Westerdam but will report new information gathered during the day.

My efforts to obtain the menus for Alaska was not successful but I was able to get the menus for 18-day Hawaii. I will work on discovering which day is removed to get to the 17-day menu list. Hawaii will have three Gala Nights (days 3, 13, and next to last night) using the Blue, Silver, and Gold menus.

The Passenger Safety Drill felt strange with only half as many participants present since in-transits were not required to attend. No room numbers needed to be called and the drill was finished in 15 minutes. Sail-away was before the 5:00 PM scheduled time. The Captain warned of high winds and the need to be careful moving about the ship.

Lots of new crew boarded the ship in San Diego.

My MDR waiter had just boarded the ship so service was a bit irregular. The MDR now uses tablets that share the same internet connection with the ship. Meal time might not be a good time for passengers to expect a faster internet connection. I hope to get a picture of the screen that the MDR waters use. My waiter did show me my own picture on his tablet. My flat iron steak was excellent and I would have liked a few more scallops in my appetizer. I made a mental note to order at least a double portion next time scallops are offered.

I spent an hour with the Shops Dutch Manager discussing the changes. The new Shops contractor manages shops in airports around the world so brings a different merchandising skill to the HAL Shops. I have the new liquor price list to scan tomorrow. The new merchandise appears to be of higher quality and includes polo shirts (Gildan) with embroidered ship's logo that I will by tomorrow. There will be a separate shop devoted to the local merchandise beginning with Alaska. I photographed most of the merchandise to give all an idea what is available. Cigarette prices are higher and I will create a price list this week.

There will be no more deck sales because of the chaos they cause to the pool area. Sales will be confined to the Shops Area. There is no Oprah Shop on the Westerdam. The Shops Manager is willing to answer any questions that I ask so send yours to me.

Tomorrow is the Mariner's Reception and Brunch in the BB King Blues Club which means there is no MDR for lunch for non-Mariner passengers. Our roll call Meet & Greet was postponed until 1:30 PM in the Pinnacle Bar.

I will continue to develop crew sources to answer questions and to continue to report changes that I notice to the Westerdam.

More tomorrow.

My first impression after a few hours on board:

• Very nice looking after drydock
  • Both A/C and USB ports on both sides of the bed.
  • Two additional A/C outlets on desktops
  • Three additional A/C outlets under the desk where the old TV and DVD players were connected.
  • Marble desktops - not to good for optical mouse use
  • No medicine cabinets in SS staterooms
  • All carpets and furniture throughout
  • Chocolate Seduction gone
  • Movie theater gone
  • New Canaletto menu for me to scan
  • New Bar Menus with higher prices for me to scan
  • Interesting new faucets in the bathrooms
  • No personal power strips permitted - lots of A/C outlets
  • Security in San Diego did not confiscate any of my extension cords/adapters
  • New elevator signage

I met a source who is trying to get me the menus for both Hawaii and Alaska cruises. Internet prices: $14.99/day for social media, $24.99/day for surfing, $29.99 for streaming. I will post my impressions of the internet speeds.

More later.

What is in the place of Chocolate Seduction and the Screening Room?

Shame about the chocolate shop. It was fin to get a couple different chocolates every now and then when on the ship. Agree that it was very underwhelming as far as people there and able to find it, but things like earl grey truffles were almost a different form of exploration. The big packaged chocolate gift things they had in the locked case across from the counter though... no interest in that... but the wicked hot chocolates (had cayenne) and some of those truffles were nice occasionally.

Another bright and sunny greeting on this cruise. The winds remain strong which causes some rolling of the ship and discomfort for some.

My first Lido Market breakfast aboard was typical for the Vista-class ships - very crowded. The muesli was served in tiny cups and two of the cups found there way to my minibar for a late snack.

I like the new ceiling-mounted LED nightlight in the bathroom but I don't like the zebra-striped bathroom tile. Only one drawer in the bathroom to store toiletries and the mirror-mounted lights are not to my liking. The new, white counter tops in both the bathroom and living area are a significant upgrade. My laptop mouse does not like them.

Laundry turned in last night was returned today at 8:30 AM. Since I turned in laundry this AM, too, I will have a processing time to report when it is returned.

Today is the Mariner Reception with brunch to follow. The balance of my day will be spent scanning everything I can find and exploring the Rjiksmuseum.

FWIW the internet speed is quite acceptable but I am blocked from running a speed test to get exact numbers. I would rate the speed as found in most major hotels. I will evaluate again during the MDR meal time to see how the waiter's tablets affect the speed.

More later.

The Mariner’s Reception and Medal Ceremony started at 10:45 AM in the BB King’s Lounge, AKA Culinary Arts Center, and lasted a mere 20 minutes for the approximately 40 passengers present. Half of the copper medal recipients were “no-show”. Of special note was the high-back, shoulder-height arms on the chairs that were the most comfortable chairs I have ever experienced. Slouching was impossible as my back was kept very straight with my shoulder supported by the high arms. I thought back to my Human Factors Engineering (HFE) training and how that chair would be an excellent choice for an HFE study.

The brunch that followed found me at a table with residents of both Aztec and Lordsburg, New Mexico. Another tablemate was a frequent traveler through New Mexico via Route 66 which contributed to lively conversation.

The Caribbean Mariner’ Brunch menu from the Caribbean was the same menu from my Dec 2017 cruise on the Veendam. Shrimp skewers with branzzino was delicious and I will order it again when I return to the Caribbean again in November.

As requested, I discovered that the movie theater was now just another room of the Shops while Chocolate Seduction retained the counter with display case but the seating area had internet terminals with chairs.

The movie today was “Jumanji” and tomorrow will be the latest Star Wars both shown in the Mainstage, formerly known as the Main Showroom. My ship’s photographs are growing in quantity so that I can do a proper “photo review” of the Westerdam.

My portable scanner died so no new bar menus until next month when I am on the Zaandam.

When I asked the Dining Room Manager, who boarded with me in San Diego, about the Gala Night on my Express Docs, he said that it was cancelled for the Pacific Coastal cruise. The crusted trout was amazing with crispy skin and perfectly-cooked flesh all resting on a light tartar-sauce-inspired aioli. I did get a picture of the new waiter’s tablet after he took my order. My picture was at the top left of the screen. The only tablet complaint was that any changes to a food order required a visit to the kitchen by the waiter. I look forward to the kitchen tour tomorrow AM to see the tablet tech support folks in action. My dessert was a big chocolate chip cookie from the miniaturized Exploration Café in the Crow’s Nest.

As I prepare this, the winds have calmed and the ship bouncing has abated. My assorted cheeses plate from the Lido is nearly empty and with a few more notes here, I will be finished with Day 02 of this cruise.

My laundry, turned in around 8:30 was returned at 4:30 PM which ranks the Westerdam Laundry only a few minutes behind my favorite Veendam laundry for exceptional service. The bathroom LED night light is still one of my favorite upgrades and the makeup-style mirrors are still and issue with me.

Since the ship was in rock-n-roll mode most of the day and many guests remained in their staterooms, I have yet to work on my Crow’s Nest guest satisfaction survey.

Tomorrow will be a sleep-in day followed by the kitchen tour, the latest Star Wars movie, popcorn, more ship’s photos, visiting newly-discovered friends, and my 499th Mariner Points Day.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

As requested, I discovered that the movie theater was now just another room of the Shops while Chocolate Seduction retained the counter with display case but the seating area had internet terminals with chairs.

Thanks for the info.

Anything particular in the new shop? Specialty store or anything of note (particular brand, etc)?

Are the new LED bathroom night lights in all stateroom categories. Do you think they will be on the Zaandam after the dry dock? I always bring battery type candles for soft light vision in the bathroom at night. Maybe that will no longer be necessary????

Fantastic info!

Would you be able to write up some of the officers. Who was the DRM?

Enjoy!

Since the ship no longer has an interactive screen with the officer's names, I spent several minutes at the Front Desk last night as they had to look up every name for me and write them on a card for me. Trying to read handwriting on the card was a problem and I had to return to the Front Desk today for a translation. I will post the complete list later today.

The new DRM is Indra Bangsawan who just boarded in San Diego.

I did deliver a Comment Card to the Front Desk stressing the need to publish/post the names of Senior Staff somewhere on board. The Front desk person last night told me that every passenger is provided a list of Senior Staff when they board the ship and I must have misplaced my copy. When I asked for another, I was told that no longer were able to print a list. Truth or lie to get rid of me? I addressed this on my Comment Card, too.

I did deliver a Comment Card to the Front Desk stressing the need to publish/post the names of Senior Staff somewhere on board. The Front desk person last night told me that every passenger is provided a list of Senior Staff when they board the ship and I must have misplaced my copy. When I asked for another, I was told that no longer were able to print a list. Truth or lie to get rid of me? I addressed this on my Comment Card, too.

The senior staff officers that matter the most to passengers will be printed on the Voyage Log you are given at the end of the cruise.

Are the new LED bathroom night lights in all stateroom categories. Do you think they will be on the Zaandam after the dry dock? I always bring battery type candles for soft light vision in the bathroom at night. Maybe that will no longer be necessary????

I will ask some of my fellow passengers about the LED lights in their other stateroom categories. This is probably a new thing for the entire fleet. I will be able to confirm when I board the Zandaam next month.

Think of a small LED flashlight mounted in the ceiling.

I will ask some of my fellow passengers about the LED lights in their other stateroom categories. This is probably a new thing for the entire fleet. I will be able to confirm when I board the Zandaam next month.

Think of a small LED flashlight mounted in the ceiling.

Perfect, the nightlights on my European riverboat were too bright as a nightlight, underlit the whole bathroom cabinet.

Thanks for all the good information. We sail on the Westerdam in June.

Could you possibly check to see if there are other internet packages available? There used to be the Social, Enhanced, and Premier packages, priced by the week, rather than a daily rate.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for all the good information. We sail on the Westerdam in June.

Could you possibly check to see if there are other internet packages available? There used to be the Social, Enhanced, and Premier packages, priced by the week, rather than a daily rate.

Thanks so much.

There are indeed the same three packages with daily package rates. If you purchase a package for an entire cruise, there appears to be a 40% savings over the daily rate. My current Enhanced package cost $24.99/day but discounted to $59 for a four-day package.

Since the ship no longer has an interactive screen with the officer's names, I spent several minutes at the Front Desk last night as they had to look up every name for me and write them on a card for me. Trying to read handwriting on the card was a problem and I had to return to the Front Desk today for a translation. I will post the complete list later today.

The new DRM is Indra Bangsawan who just boarded in San Diego.

Wow! The stories they make up. I am shocked. Thank you for taking the time; I regret this has turned into a wild goose chase for you so far. Shouldn't be happening.