Antigua dock & port shops area - yuck!

NJsharon

We stopped last week in Atigua on the Gem. I just cannot understand why they would choose that port to dock at?

The view from our balcony was sad, nasty and disgusting. It left me angry. I am sure a rundown large shack with 11 dogs (yes we counted them) on the water, with 2 half sunk small rusty boats in front of the back yard, is quite normal in their country. But for visitors it is not.... especially the 11 dogs that are very skinny, I am sure are not spayed/neutered, have lack of water & shelter.

We ventured ashore & it's close to the hassling locals you get in Nassau. 3 guys with baby monkeys, one guy squeezing a monkey by it's stomach, as he is walking around. "Taxi, taxi.... braiding, braiding..... trip, trip!" NOOOOO!

Nice tourist shops & we see 2 more dogs laying on the beautifully paved sidewalks. Both obviously having given birth sometime recently & one bleeding from it's backside. One of my daughters poured water for one of them & it lapped it up. Other one I was petting & it was very friendly, but did not look in good shape & coat was coarse. To them I guess it is just part of their life though. But if they would just spay them, this cycle could stop. The pups are probably dead somewhere.

Sigh.

I know you can take a cab or excursion to a beach over the other side. I won't get off the ship if we stop there next time, unless it is to do something to support/help the local animals. Not supporting locals who do not care.

We saw the dogs. They were very sad. From the second we left the ship port area we were hassled nonstop. When we told them we were waiting for someone, most of them told us that person probably already left and we should take a cab. The person we were waiting for was crew and not off until noon. Once we met him, we were bombarded again. The taxi we ended up with was very nice and they were right on time to pick us up. Beach was nice too...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

We were just in Antigua in December and thoroughly enjoyed the island. The Beaches are very nice as are the people. It is a third world country and they do have different customs than we do and a different way of life. That's why we go to other countries to experience different points of view and life. I don't want to visit a country that is a glorified shopping mall with artificial structures.

Pat

We stopped last week in Atigua on the Gem. I just cannot understand why they would choose that port to dock at?

The view from our balcony was sad, nasty and disgusting. It left me angry. I am sure a rundown large shack with 11 dogs (yes we counted them) on the water, with 2 half sunk small rusty boats in front of the back yard, is quite normal in their country. But for visitors it is not.... especially the 11 dogs that are very skinny, I am sure are not spayed/neutered, have lack of water & shelter.

We ventured ashore & it's close to the hassling locals you get in Nassau. 3 guys with baby monkeys, one guy squeezing a monkey by it's stomach, as he is walking around. "Taxi, taxi.... braiding, braiding..... trip, trip!" NOOOOO!

Nice tourist shops & we see 2 more dogs laying on the beautifully paved sidewalks. Both obviously having given birth sometime recently & one bleeding from it's backside. One of my daughters poured water for one of them & it lapped it up. Other one I was petting & it was very friendly, but did not look in good shape & coat was coarse. To them I guess it is just part of their life though. But if they would just spay them, this cycle could stop. The pups are probably dead somewhere.

Sigh.

I know you can take a cab or excursion to a beach over the other side. I won't get off the ship if we stop there next time, unless it is to do something to support/help the local animals. Not supporting locals who do not care.

We love Antigua! We have never experienced anything like you described, in more than 20 visits.

Hope you give it one more chance.

We were just in Antigua in December and thoroughly enjoyed the island. The Beaches are very nice as are the people. It is a third world country and they do have different customs than we do and a different way of life. That's why we go to other countries to experience different points of view and life. I don't want to visit a country that is a glorified shopping mall with artificial structures.

Pat

I was thinking for some reason Antigua had some beautiful resorts (in other parts of the island), they had wealthy jewelry stores. The people higher up in these businesses are 3rd world too in their lives, houses & wages I am sure. They have the means to do something about it, they see it every day. They just don't care as it doesn't effect them personally.

This is all very interesting. I haven't been to Antigua for several years but the three times I was there, felt it was safe, clean and charming with all of its British history.

Same here. But haven't been there since 2009. Hard economic times in many places now though...

Went to a beautiful beach near the Sandals resort. Sand was like sugar.

Sigh.

I've been a volunteer at my local animal shelter here in Florida for 5 years.

Our shelter works with shelters in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean islands. Shelters there are severely cash-strapped. It's not that local residents don't care, but resources are limited for the human population and the animal one. Many residents struggle just to keep a (very basic) roof over their family's head and food in their stomachs.

I am fortunate enough to be able to donate my time and money to an animal shelter.

Additionally, many islands were hit hard last year by hurricanes. Here's one article about what stateside organizations including my shelter have done to help:

https://www.aspca.org/news/aspcas-response-hurricane-maria

Edited by alreadypacked

I've been a volunteer at my local animal shelter here in Florida for 5 years.

Our shelter works with shelters in Puerto Rico and other Caribbean islands. Shelters there are severely cash-strapped. It's not that local residents don't care, but resources are limited for the human population and the animal one. Many residents struggle just to keep a (very basic) roof over their family's head and food in their stomachs.

I am fortunate enough to be able to donate my time and money to an animal shelter.

Thank you for what you do. I’m an animal lover, I have a rescue, I’m the first one to share Facebook posts about dogs who need homes, I donate. However, I don’t expect poor countries that struggle to keep human residents fed, homed, and medically cared for to focus on the dogs. Priorities.

So for those who are concerned about the poverty and choose to not disembark for this reason you are only making the situation worse for those islanders who depend on the tourism for their meager income.

If the general population of the island is living in poverty they cant afford to take care of the stray animals like we do in the US.

Donations can be made to the Humane Societies and other organizations on the islands to help support their causes. I know of cruise ship officers who donate their time while in port to some of these organizations so perhaps there are opportunities for cruise passengers to do so as well.

Again, if you want to help some of these islanders the very least you could do is not just stay on the ship in port. Go out and support the local businesses. Of course I’m not talking the Diamonds Internationals and Colombian Emeralds but the actual local restaurants and shops.

Edited by Motegi

Sigh.

Have you forgotten the horrendous damage that these very poor islands endured last fall? It's a wonder that anyone or anything endures. A little compassion and understanding of the differences in the world would help..............Patti

We chose our cruise next year BECAUSE it stops in Antigua. It is my favorite island we've been to and we can't wait to go back. The beach was the most perfect beach.

I didn't think the shopping area was much different than any other island or that the people asking you if you wanted tours were any worse than other places, either.

We were there in November and I didn't notice any dogs, but I guess I was more concerned with finding our way to the beach.

Plus, I don't take much stock in what the ship looks upon when we dock. I mean, it's nice to see something beautiful, but in Barbados we were in the industrial section of the port and looking out on that is its own form of interesting.

Sigh.

I think you may be forgetting that Antigua was hit extremely hard by a hurricane that almost totally devastated the island back in September 2017 (only 6 months ago). So that is clearly the reason that you saw what is characterized in the paragraph I highlighted in red. I visited Antigua on a cruise in 2009, and the port area was a modern Caribbean island port with many shops, quaint restaurants, and a vibrant local culture. To this day, our port day in Antigua is one of my fondest memories in more than 20 cruises. Everyone we encountered from our taxi driver to the guy who rented us chairs/umbrellas at the beach, to the cook at a restaurant where we ate who invited us into the kitchen to see how she prepared the wonderful meal we ate......it was just an awesome experience. Please do not summarily write off Antigua as they are struggling to recapture normalcy in what is undoubtedly a time of great need.

Sigh.

Again, regarding the bits I highlighted in red: With all the people in the United States who just let loose unwanted pets who then reproduce and then contribute to the multitude of stray cats and dogs in the United States......if only those people would spay and neuter their pets, or turn them in to their local Humane Society or SPCA. Stray animals are a problem in many places on the globe not just in the Caribbean.

And with regard to the second statement I highlighted in red: I doubt very much that there are local Antiguans who "don't care". I'm pretty sure that Antiguans care foremost about their families, their own well being (like we all do), their local environment, local animals, etc. (and in that order, like we all probably would especially if we'd been hit by a devastating natural disaster).

My upcoming cruise this fall was to call on eastern Caribbean ports that had been hit by Irma and Maria. Now that itinerary has been changed to a western Caribbean route. I am hoping that we get changed back to eastern Caribbean because I was really looking forward to contributing to the economy in the islands that had had impacts from last years' hurricanes.

Thank you for what you do. I’m an animal lover, I have a rescue, I’m the first one to share Facebook posts about dogs who need homes, I donate. However, I don’t expect poor countries that struggle to keep human residents fed, homed, and medically cared for to focus on the dogs. Priorities.

I'm glad someone finally said it...

This is all very interesting. I haven't been to Antigua for several years but the three times I was there, felt it was safe, clean and charming with all of its British history.

I was thinking the same thing. We loved it, like you, we haven't been there for many years. As for right off the ship, for those of us who have cruised for years we can remember when all ports looked pretty crappy right off the ships. Either crappy or totally isolated.

For many, who have not visited many 3rd world countries it is still hard to realize how people live when they are dirt poor and depend on everything to be imported or almost everything. Add to that the hurricane situation last fall. As for dogs, we have visited many islands where dogs are seen everywhere. Again, their life style is just different from ours.