Best trip organizer that you've used

baxley

old school here also

I use something like this (got it from a TA years ago)

332092526_99_a?fmt=png-alpha&wid=80&hei=80&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp2&qlt=85,1

keep back up copies on my net book as we do not have a smart phone & yes we still have a land line ;)

I am looking for something in which to keep my airline tickets, hotel reservations, boarding docs, tour reservations, etc organized. Thanks.

Your phone or tablet is the best option.

Both old school and current. We use Excel spreadsheets an I do print copies of everything that go in a binder. Of course I can also get to all of it from my laptop or my iPhoneX. Our trips are usually in the 3 to 4 month range with lots of details, so I guess the binder is our security blanket.

We often travel without a SIM card or access to wi-fi so even though I have everything in files on my phone and/or tablet and in the cloud, I have to have printed backup. I do a spreadsheet with main info plus print outs of tickets, reservations, etc. As we go I throw out the paper copies.

Electronics work until your phone is ripped out of your hand and you cannot get a replacement. Yeah, seriously [emoji22]

Keeping paper copies even though everything’s electronic is same as using a passport on a closed loop cruise.

technology is great but what happens if you do not have access to the internet or your phone service?

just curious

We have a cell phone but it only works in Canada & just for voice/text

we barely use it ..we are dinosaurs as far as cell phones go

technology is great but what happens if you do not have access to the internet or your phone service?

just curious

Times change and things move on, but not always in the most convenient way, and no one method is failsafe. It’s very difficult to make phone calls in many places now because pay phones are becoming very scarce in the age of smartphones. Paper documents can get lost or destroyed. Using one method to back up the other seems like a sensible choice.

Times change and things move on, but not always in the most convenient way, and no one method is failsafe. It’s very difficult to make phone calls in many places now because pay phones are becoming very scarce in the age of smartphones. Paper documents can get lost or destroyed. Using one method to back up the other seems like a sensible choice.

I agree

That is why we got a cell phone as just try to find a pay phone when you need it :halo:

I keep a file on my net book to access stuff no internet required for that plus paper copies

I have most in my head but sometime the res numbers can get muddled together

I agree

That is why we got a cell phone as just try to find a pay phone when you need it :halo:

I keep a file on my net book to access stuff no internet required for that plus paper copies

I have most in my head but sometime the res numbers can get muddled together

I’m impressed! Your memory is loads better than mine. I’d be struggling without the apps or the papers.

just curious

All the docs can be made into PDFs on a home computer and manually transferred to a smart phone/tablet/et al. via data cable and appropriate applications. But, even though you'd then not need the voice/data connections abroad, you'd still need a device to display the docs.

Sounds like it may be time for you to break open that piggy bank[emoji6]

just curious

Things can be saved for access without service. It’s not for everyone and it’s not going to work absolutely everywhere but mostly paper is unnecessary if that’s what you want. I’m more likely to lose a folder of papers and prefer not to print and throw away unneeded paper than I am to lose access to the multiple places I’ve saved stuff on my multiple devices so it works for me but everyone has their own preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

just curious

You do not need the internet/phone service for accessing documents. All can be screenshotted for access or converted to PDF and saved as stated above. On a side note, you can download maps of any city and get directions while offline. And of course as one of our regular posters always suggests, download that guidebook too!

Today's phones are quite user-friendly. Maybe you have a teenager around who can help you get the most out of yours! ;p

Wow, I guess that I am "old school"... I carry copies of all of my cruise docs, as well as excursion info, hotel reservations, ect in an 9X11 manila folder... Even more old school, I have 2 identical folders. One in my carry-on, and another in my main suitcase...

I love that idea! Something could happen with technology at least a paper copy for back up just in case. We also like to leave

a copy with family.

We have a "can't miss seeing" acid green, plastic envelope that was a freebie from work. It holds the documents, in order of use, we have printed on the unprinted backs of previously-used paper. Once home, the paper is recylced. It takes up little room and has been everywhere.

You do not need the internet/phone service for accessing documents. All can be screenshotted for access or converted to PDF and saved as stated above. On a side note, you can download maps of any city and get directions while offline. And of course as one of our regular posters always suggests, download that guidebook too!

Today's phones are quite user-friendly. Maybe you have a teenager around who can help you get the most out of yours! ;p

Yes teenager would be handy for some things ;)

I think you still need an internet connection on the phone to download the docs ..right ??

I just use my netbook it works for me + paper copies

We use an ipad. We only depend on the internet to make forward land reservations a few days in advance when we travel. Or book air or ferry. So there is not issue if we for some reason we cannot get internet service.

We do make entries on our ipads-notes section. We just list the dates and reservation or locator numbers just in case. These can be referenced off line.

I'm a fan of TripIt myself but I use it mostly for a planning tool (when does my plane leave, what time is a reservation). Tip: before you leave on your trip, sync your TripIt app with the cloud to get your most recent details. The app can then be used even without a data connection and you will still be able to pull up all your plans.

I have a small tablet I travel with which I keep a PDF copy of documents, but I don't take this on excursions so it's "safe" back in the cabin. I do take a couple of paper copies of items, travel insurance, 1-page cruise boarding doc, etc. but for the most part I'm trying to reduce paper.

I'm actually looking to go more electronic - I now have a waterproof case for my phone and I use a no-data-required GPS mapping app. Download maps in advance and it can still use the GPS signals to see where you are. It came in great in Alaska when we were in a park and forgot to grab a trail map.

I'm one of the "old school" people. I put everything in a small (1") binder with tabs for each island. The binder is small enough that it fits nicely in one of my carry-ons. It's come in handy when I needed a phone number in Curacao to try and call the excursion company to see if the planned excursion was still going to happen in the driving rain (I think they got their annual rainfall all in that one day!). Of course it didn't do much good because I didn't have an international plan on the cell phone (oops forgot that one detail before we left). Plus with everything printed out, it becomes the start of my scrapbook of the trip.

Yes teenager would be handy for some things ;)

I think you still need an internet connection on the phone to download the docs ..right ??

I just use my netbook it works for me + paper copies

Yes, you do. :)

So many good ideas in this thread. I've learned a few things myself!