3 Days in NOLA in a WHEELCHAIR.

AIROHS

Our ship (EQUINOX) will be parked for 3 days in NO would love to do a cemetery tour and whatever else we can get to. every tour ive checked online does NOT accommodate electric wchairs only folding push chairs my wife cant push me .

what can we see/ do/ wheeling from the ship.

Looking for any and all insights plz.

thank you.

I doubt you will be able to get into many of the cemeteries due to most having steps, being laid to rest above higher ground. You may be able to get a decent view from the sidewalk. If there is a specific grave you want to see, that might be a bit challenging.

NOLA is a very old city and not too many historic places that will be wheelchair friendly. I found this site for you to peruse.

bon voyage

We did the New Orleans Mardi Gras cruise on the Equinox last year. Unless things have really changed, I can comment that it was quite the process to disembark and then re-embark at the Julia Street Dock at that time. There was a very long line even to get back onto the ship because the gangway wasn't level with the dock and everyone had to duck down when entering the ship. Well, maybe it might be easier in a scooter come to think of it. Anyway, this was their first Mardi Gras trip on this cruiseline and they may have improved but getting off and back on the ship was really slowed down. I would say we ended up waiting over 5 hours for our disembarkation number upon arrival (and we were elite pax so supposedly had been given priority) and again, waited nearly 2 hours to get back on the ship. Don't get me wrong, this was one of my favorite trips of all times...but there were a couple of hiccups that they hopefully have resolved by the time you go.

Anyway, once you cross over the trolley tracks, you pretty much will have sidewalks to get around while in town ... might be a bumpy trip for you prior to that, though. BTW, the streets were crowded but not like others warned. It was a much nicer trip than we had expected due to all the pre-cruise warnings.

We did the New Orleans Mardi Gras cruise on the Equinox last year. Unless things have really changed, I can comment that it was quite the process to disembark and then re-embark at the Julia Street Dock at that time. There was a very long line even to get back onto the ship because the gangway wasn't level with the dock and everyone had to duck down when entering the ship. Well, maybe it might be easier in a scooter come to think of it. Anyway, this was their first Mardi Gras trip on this cruiseline and they may have improved but getting off and back on the ship was really slowed down. I would say we ended up waiting over 5 hours for our disembarkation number upon arrival (and we were elite pax so supposedly had been given priority) and again, waited nearly 2 hours to get back on the ship. Don't get me wrong, this was one of my favorite trips of all times...but there were a couple of hiccups that they hopefully have resolved by the time you go.

Anyway, once you cross over the trolley tracks, you pretty much will have sidewalks to get around while in town ... might be a bumpy trip for you prior to that, though. BTW, the streets were crowded but not like others warned. It was a much nicer trip than we had expected due to all the pre-cruise warnings.

Your comments intrigued (and worried) me as we booked this cruise for next year. I don't understand why it would take so long to disembark? That would be extremely frustrating!

We were in NOLA on the Reflection Mardi Gras cruise this year, and had no trouble leaving and returning to the ship -- other than the rather long walk to exit/enter the terminal. If I remember correctly, the gangway has three turns, then a walk along a corridor to a landing with a long escalator (there are also elevators) that lead to the waiting area; passengers then proceed through a door at one end and down another long hallway to the door that leads outside. Nothing too difficult, but just far enough to discourage a whole lot of coming and going during our 2 night stay...

Your comments intrigued (and worried) me as we booked this cruise for next year. I don't understand why it would take so long to disembark? That would be extremely frustrating!
We too were on this year's Mardi gras cruise. The difference between 2017 and 2018 was the fact that NO LA was the first stop this year and the last in 2017 making all onboard need to go through immigration before debarking, causing the delay.

As daisy stated it was a bit of a walk, down an escalator, bu there was an elevator for those needing it, to get out of the building, then a long block to get out to the main street. Definitely doable by an able bodied person but can see how it may be a challenge if not.

We definitely enjoyed our time there and would consider doing it again, just too many other options right now.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I just left New Orleans yesterday (vacation) and toured St Louis Cemetery One. It would be extremely hard to see in a wheel chair. Gravel walkways in some places, narrow pathways, etc.

I highly recommend the WWII museum and the movie - well worth the visit. A trip down Royal Street would be interesting with a side stop at Jackson Square would be doable. I would stay clear of Bourbon Street (parallel to Royal). It is a mad house. There are also a couple of paddle wheel boats that give a good overview of the area during a two hour cruise. One even stops at the battlefield where US forces beat the British during the war of 1812.

If you want to eat lunch in town, I recommend the Court of the Two Sisters. Have fun. New Orleans is an interesting city.

We were in NOLA on the Reflection Mardi Gras cruise this year, and had no trouble leaving and returning to the ship -- other than the rather long walk to exit/enter the terminal. If I remember correctly, the gangway has three turns, then a walk along a corridor to a landing with a long escalator (there are also elevators) that lead to the waiting area; passengers then proceed through a door at one end and down another long hallway to the door that leads outside. Nothing too difficult, but just far enough to discourage a whole lot of coming and going during our 2 night stay...

So glad to hear they worked on a solution for their subsequent sailings into NOLA.

The problem with the first night of embarkation was that a great percentage of people ignored their disembarkation numbers. When we found out we didn't really have to wait our turn, we were quite peeved. Oh well, all water under the bridge now. This was definitely an enforcement issue.

And yes, there was a long walk between the ship and the exit / entrance of the terminal but that appears to be what it is. At least it was pretty close to the town.

The issue with re-entering the ship was with how the ship sat in the water vs how gangway was set up. It wasn't even so took some limbo moves to get back on the ship, which really slowed things down. Again ... so glad to hear they worked this out. That was my only real complaint about this sailing. The cruise itself and the staff were absolutely amazing!!

Funny thing is, we've been to NOLA before ... more than once. We were never interested in going for Mardi Gras when our niece wanted everyone to get together there for her 30th birthday party during Mardi Gras. Well, funny thing is ... we were the only ones that showed up. She didn't even end up going ... although, I would say she did us a favor by getting us to book that sailing. I came to appreciate NOLA even more than before (I love that place!). Our experience was so positive that I wouldn't hesitate recommend Mardi Gras to my friends and family. Going in on a cruise is definitely the way to go!

Been to NO many times, and the warnings about access issues are correct. Stick to the main areas. If your wife can step up into a horse-drawn carriage, that would be a good way of seeing the city. Many options of that.

There is also a butterfly and insectorium in the Audubon Garden museum on Canal St (very accessible) that is interesting also.

enjoy, but you’ll need to stay out of the cemeteries since they are above ground tombs and not very accessible.

Den

The '17 disembarkation fiasco Cruise Raider describes was indeed immigration related and IMO entirely X's fault. We were in a large group at the top of the gangway waiting for our number to be called. In the first 90 minutes they only called 2 numbers (out of around 20). Finally the crowd grew so large they told us to just go. When we reached the terminal we were amazed that it was completely empty except for CPB. Quick flash of the passport and out the door in under a minute. Apparently there was no one from X in the terminal telling the ship when to release more passengers. Understand the process took over 5 hours.

The problem with re-boarding was that we entered and exited the ship at different locations. We exited on deck 5 and walked down a multi level mechanical gangway which brought us to the second level of the terminal. From there we could take the elevator or escalator to street level. Upon returning however we were directed to walk along the pier outside the terminal to a manual ramp that connected to the ship at deck two. River level was low so the ramp angled sharply downward. Anyone over 5' tall had to duck their head. I'm not sure how they handled wheelchair passengers.

I understand this is was the first time X visited NOLA, so hopefully they've learned from this experience and you will enjoy a smoother process.