NFL Football

theSHAH

Thanks for all the info everyone. I recalled last time I was in Europe there is a stand alone Sunday ticket subscription for the EU market and was debating buying that for the trip, but a VPN seems like a much better route. Hopefully the Packers have a prime time game (or a bye week for that matter)because I have absolutely no qualms about being awake at 3 am for the trade off that it would be much more likely found on a TV somewhere.

Ah! A fellow Packer Fan!!

I just realized today that the Summit cruise we just booked last week for late January means we are cruising for the Super bowl.

Cruising with 3 sisters and husbands and all Packer Fans. Maybe that means fate will put them in the game since we will be gone.

Although for Super Bowl the ship usually puts on a good party.

How reliable is the WiFi on board? Can I count on it to stream the game? Also, this is my first time Celebrity, is there any other option besides buying an unlimited package for the entire cruise when I only need two days? Parent company RC is my usual cruise line and I know they allow a daily package.

Here are the offerings and prices: Xcelerate Internet at Sea packages (Mar 2018)

From my recent personal experience (Jan Infinity 2017 & Jan Solstice 2018), the internet is too slow to do any streaming. However, the internet speed was dependent on the number of people using it (much faster in the early morning) and so if you are going to watch a 1 pm ET game from Europe, you may have a chance.

I noticed the above (and new) brochure says that the on board internet is now designed to handle video streaming with further improvements being made across the entire fleet by this month.

Edited by mahdnc

Here are the offerings and prices: Xcelerate Internet at Sea packages (Mar 2018)

From my recent personal experience (Jan Infinity 2017 & Jan Solstice 2018), the internet is too slow to do any streaming. However, the internet speed was dependent on the number of people using it (much faster in the early morning) and so if you are going to watch a 1 pm ET game from Europe, you may have a chance.

I noticed the above (and new) brochure says that the on board internet is now designed to handle video streaming with further improvements being made across the entire fleet by this month.

Thank you for the info. I gotta say this pricing is obnoxious, nearly 4x what parent company RC charges for Voom. I guess I will also know much more at 8pm EST tonight when the schedules are announced. Here's to hoping both the Pack have at least one by week while I'm going and they are not going to New England during the trip (really really was hoping to go to that game live)

Thank you for the info. I gotta say this pricing is obnoxious, nearly 4x what parent company RC charges for Voom. I guess I will also know much more at 8pm EST tonight when the schedules are announced. Here's to hoping both the Pack have at least one by week while I'm going and they are not going to New England during the trip (really really was hoping to go to that game live)

theSHAH: I will be on Equinox next week with an internet package, so I will test it out. As to the Pats game, I see a rumor online that it will be a Sunday night game on November 4. We will be in Amsterdam that night, but of course it would be on at a very late hour if the rumor is correct.

Tom & Judy

theSHAH: I will be on Equinox next week with an internet package, so I will test it out. As to the Pats game, I see a rumor online that it will be a Sunday night game on November 4. We will be in Amsterdam that night, but of course it would be on at a very late hour if the rumor is correct.

Tom & Judy

NFL schedules out later today. I’m interested to see what games we’ll have for our October Symphony of the Seas TA. Two Sundays on board in Playmakers (October 28 and November 4th). The 1:00 pm games will be just after Sailaway from Barcelona on the 28th.

Cheers

Tom

How reliable is the WiFi on board? Can I count on it to stream the game? Also, this is my first time Celebrity, is there any other option besides buying an unlimited package for the entire cruise when I only need two days? Parent company RC is my usual cruise line and I know they allow a daily package.

We were on Solstice recently and they were advertising 24 hour internet for $24.99 US... I'm a big fan of Super Rugby (Rugby Union) and watch it every weekend at home as well as spending a lot of time on the computer at home

but one of the things I really liked about our holiday is that I completely disconnected myself from the computer and the Super Rugby competition and I didn't really miss it - as I was having too much fun on the cruise!

NFL schedules out later today. I’m interested to see what games we’ll have for our October Symphony of the Seas TA. Two Sundays on board in Playmakers (October 28 and November 4th). The 1:00 pm games will be just after Sailaway from Barcelona on the 28th.

Cheers

Tom

I have a Symphony cruise booked during the wild card round of the playoffs in January. Symphony has a brand new dedicated sports bar spanning the entire boardwalk neighborhood. I have confidence that finding my game on that sailing will not be difficult

Tom & Judy

You were spot on, Nov 4! So I can still plan to see that game live. Also week 6 is a MNF game so it should likely be on a TV somewhere and week 7 is a bye. This couldn't have worked out better

You were spot on, Nov 4! So I can still plan to see that game live. Also week 6 is a MNF game so it should likely be on a TV somewhere and week 7 is a bye. This couldn't have worked out better

We did OK too, considering. Week 6 - watch at LAX airport hotel before flying out to Rome the next morning. Week 7 - bye. Week 8 - maybe catch the game or at least follow it online since it is a late game and the ship will be sailing between ports. (On the other hand, we would have gone to this game if we were here, since we are only about 3.5 hours away from L.A.) Week 9 - will be in a hotel in Amsterdam prior to a river cruise, but I don't think we will be watching it live at 2 or 3 in the morning.

Tom & Judy

I have recently booked a family trip on Celebrity Reflection in a European itinerary and realized I'd be out of the states over 2 Sundays worth of football. This is a near-unacceptable thought. Is there absolutely anywhere on board that shows any given NFL game on Sundays? Would my Sunday Ticket account work out of the country? Do I have any options at all? Thank you in advance for any advice.

I think anyone who watches American Football should be hit in the head with a bat so they can share in the brain damage.

What a pathetic, barbaric excuse for “sports”.

I have recently booked a family trip on Celebrity Reflection in a European itinerary and realized I'd be out of the states over 2 Sundays worth of football. This is a near-unacceptable thought. Is there absolutely anywhere on board that shows any given NFL game on Sundays? Would my Sunday Ticket account work out of the country? Do I have any options at all? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Cancel!!!

Can you stream the game? Very unlikely. We cruise Celebrity often and have never had Wi-Fi good enough to stream TV. Occasionally you will see a post from someone more successful, but we have spent more than 6 months onboard various Celebrity ships on various itineraries in the last year and a half and have never had Wi-Fi that good.

Not sure what this VPN stuff is? Maybe that works better?

Edited by phoenix_dream

I am glad that everyone (so far at least) has chosen to ignore the trolls.

Tom & Judy

Until now:). I don't get why someone with no interest in the topic of a post feels the need to read that post and then insult the people who are interested in it. Must live a very sad life to be so full of hate that they choose to spend their short time on earth doing that instead of enjoying the time they have. Go, Bears!! (talk about sad LOL)

We were on Equinox (one of the ships they said was already implemented) for 14 days in February and had unlimited internet as a perk. Did not notice any improvements at all. Perhaps it was updated after we sailed?

We were on Equinox (one of the ships they said was already implemented) for 14 days in February and had unlimited internet as a perk. Did not notice any improvements at all. Perhaps it was updated after we sailed?

I found the Xcelerate brochure interesting but somewhat confusing. The brochure was published last month, so it should be up to date. It talks about being able to video stream which I have never been able to do with much success (FaceTime) because the speeds are relatively slow including on my last cruise (Jan 2018 Solstice). But perhaps this is one of the improvements (as you said)?

Finally, the sentence about improving the program by the end of this month such that you can "connect up to four devices on one account, allowing you to instantmessage family and friends on board throughout your cruise" is interesting. Does this suggest that the unlimited internet can now be shared among several devices at the same time? Previously my family of 4 have shared a single unlimited account--but as you know, only one device at a time. I have a feeling that this multiple device upgrade is related to the Celebrity mobile phone app that they intend for use on board. The app is currently set up for Constellation, Equinox, and Reflection--which coincidentally are the three ships that currently have the multiple-device-on-one account enhancement.

Go Steelers (sorry, although I now live in Chicago I went to high school in Pittsburgh during the Steel Curtain days). I do remember fondly watching on our stateroom TV the Steelers beating the Ravens to clinch the division on Christmas Day 2016 while we were aboard Infinity (off the coast of Chile).

Until now:). I don't get why someone with no interest in the topic of a post feels the need to read that post and then insult the people who are interested in it. Must live a very sad life to be so full of hate that they choose to spend their short time on earth doing that instead of enjoying the time they have. Go, Bears!! (talk about sad LOL)

Well, I echo your sentiments (except for the Go Bears! part, of course). Great opening day matchup, by the way, Chicago at Green Bay, presumably because it is the Packers' 100th season (based on the team's new method of counting). We can't get there for that game but our daughter will go.

Tom & Judy

We were on Celebrity's Silhouette last fall through the Baltics and Russia. Happy to say we were able to watch NE Patriots play in our cabin as well as it was on several bar television. It might have been a weekly ESPN game so we were lucky to catch it. Some games are shown at hours not convenient for your vacation schedule but we fit it in.

We booked another cruise for October and will be away for two games as well. Maybe we will be lucky again.

I think a sadder life is a nation of people who sit on their butts watching the poorly educated but physically gifted bludgeon each other to the point they are so brain damaged they lose all sense of self and end up suicidal or trying to survive years of excruciating pain.

All of this so the obese and entitled can vicariously participate in a virtual group grope with the hope of exclamating “we won!” every week.

Not sure what your contribution to the sport is but as long as you’re comfortable with people dying for your entertainment, no worries.

I am not sure what to say to you. I understand what you are saying but I cannot say I am not a fan. To each their own as they say. There may be some things you do which others might not approve of also.

well my initial comment was tongue and cheek.... if NFL or any other sport is that important to you then it might be best to plan your holidays around it

as I mentioned I am an avid watcher of Rugby Union, but I didn't plan the holiday hoping I would be able to watch games while on board Solstice - that was the furthest thing from my mind.

there are a couple of TV programs that my wife & I watch regularly and we just recorded them so we could watch them when we got back from our holiday.

I think a sadder life is a nation of people who sit on their butts watching the poorly educated but physically gifted bludgeon each other to the point they are so brain damaged they lose all sense of self and end up suicidal or trying to survive years of excruciating pain.

All of this so the obese and entitled can vicariously participate in a virtual group grope with the hope of exclamating “we won!” every week.

Not sure what your contribution to the sport is but as long as you’re comfortable with people dying for your entertainment, no worries.

Wow!! Just wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't have too much of a choice over the date we booked, it's a family trip and evidently this date range worked perfectly for everyone else. As I stated, it worked out pretty well. The Packers will be on a bye during one of the weeks and playing a primetime game the other (so it should be easier to find somewhere on the ship). Worst case scenario would have been to simply use a VPN onboard and utilize my Sunday ticket. Football is super important to me for sure, but it wouldn't have been devastated to the point I would let it ruin the trip, I would have figured it out.