Shrimp Cocktail

Fishkillbill

Good question. It's been a long time since we last cruised. Besides the shrimp cocktails we enjoyed escargots. Besides learning if NCL serves shrimp cocktails in the MDR I'm interested in learning if they serve escargots as well. I unfortunately learned that lobster is no longer available. :-(

Good question. It's been a long time since we last cruised. Besides the shrimp cocktails we enjoyed escargots. Besides learning if NCL serves shrimp cocktails in the MDR I'm interested in learning if they serve escargots as well. I unfortunately learned that lobster is no longer available. :-(

You will have to spend your cruising time finding something else to enjoy: I don't think either are available in the MDRs anymore. In fact a lot of cruise lines are cutting back on shrimp. You can get Escargot at Le Bistro. I don't know about Cagney's.

You will have to spend your cruising time finding something else to enjoy: I don't think either are available in the MDRs anymore. In fact a lot of cruise lines are cutting back on shrimp. You can get Escargot at Le Bistro. I don't know about Cagney's.

What's their reasoning for cutting back?

Odd. I haven't noticed fares declining.

Rates have not been declining but have you noticed the price of meat and fish, particularly shell fish? :rolleyes: And if you can honestly say you have seen the price of shell fish going down, you must live on some planet the rest of us do not live on. All I have seen and I am educated shopper is the size of packaging getting smaller. Of course when certain products are in season there is a slight drop. That might even be the case with seafood if you live on one of the coasts or the planet you live on. Here we do not see the prices going down.

Rates have not been declining but have you noticed the price of meat and fish, particularly shell fish? :rolleyes: And if you can honestly say you have seen the price of shell fish going down, you must live on some planet the rest of us do not live on. All I have seen and I am educated shopper is the size of packaging getting smaller. Of course when certain products are in season there is a slight drop. That might even be the case with seafood if you live on one of the coasts or the planet you live on. Here we do not see the prices going down.

Did you even read the original post?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shrimp is so easy to cook...defrost some jumbo shrimp...throw them in boiling water..when they turn pink...they're done. Peel, chill and eat. so yummy..so freaking easy!

Cocktail sauce...ketchup, a bit of tabasco or Texas Pete, a splash of worcestershire, a splash of lemon, and some horseradish...mix and dip that shrimp!

Cheap and easy. Do it at home. Don't worry about it on vacation!

What's their reasoning for cutting back?

They haven't cut back. They have adapted their menus to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. Snails swimming in butter and shrimps are menus from the 70's and 80's. Even Le Bistro has "skinny down" the recipe for their snails.

They have adapted their menus to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. Snails swimming in butter and shrimps are menus from the 70's and 80's.

What about those of us who live in the 70' and 80's, the average of our last two cruises was over 65!!

They haven't cut back. They have adapted their menus to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. Snails swimming in butter and shrimps are menus from the 70's and 80's. Even Le Bistro has "skinny down" the recipe for their snails.

I do keto so give me allll the butter.

They have adapted their menus to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. Snails swimming in butter and shrimps are menus from the 70's and 80's.

What about those of us who live in the 70' and 80's, the average of our last two cruises was over 65!!

We (an I am in that demographic) are not the customers that will sustain the cruise line for the next 3-5 decades. If the cruise line is going to survive, it needs to attract the customers of the future. That is why you see vast amount of space being dedicated to rock climbing walls, ropes courses, water parks, laser tag, and go karts. I personally have never been on a wall or a ropes course, and have done a water slide once or twice (too hard to climb the stairs). (The carousel on the boardwalk on RCL ships is more our speed).

There never was such a thing as a balcony room. Now, ships cover every square inch of exterior space with a room with a balcony.

We use to travel with a separate suitcase with dresses, shoes and a tux so that we could go to dinner. Not any more. I just read where RCL is trying to upgrade its dining dress code again,,, and they will relax it soon because the vast majority of the contemporary cruiser does not want to pack and get dressed up for dinner. We were on the Allure of the Seas last month and there were people in gowns and tuxes sitting next to people in shorts and polo shirts. And, just like any restaurant at home, I thought it was fine.

You use to have to pay for a deck chair and were tickled pink when our status allowed us to "reserve" a deck chair (still paying for the chair and tipping the staff to "set it up").

We are happy to see contemporary items on the lunch menu like Pho soup and poached salmon replacing the veg soup and fish sticks from the past.

We are happy to see Broadway shows on board replacing the no-so-good magician, not-so-funny comedian, and the dance-school-drop-outs that use to be the evening entertainment.

We spent over a decade sailing where the highlight of the day was high tea in the ballroom. Now it's an afternoon trip to the soft serve ice cream machine.

Times change. Companies need to adapt and market to their customers of the future. If companies don't adapt, they will become extinct like the dinosaurs.

BTW: We love a good escargot, but don't like the new recipe in Le Bistro. yuk.

Enjoy your upcoming back-to-back. Have a great cruise.

I was on an NCL cruise in december (Breakaway). They had both escargot and shrimp on the MDR menu(not every night, but on one or 2). It was delicious (granted escargot is in butter, but seafood in general is extremely healthy...soo as far as a slim down contemporary menu that would mean more shrimp cocktail not less)!