Tell me about the FOOD

emory2001

Long-time Royal Caribbean cruiser excited to take first Carnival cruise this fall. Tell me about the food. I find cruise food to be hit or miss. I know there's some dessert that's not to be missed, but what else - at buffet, main dining room, other restaurants. I'll be on Liberty.

Food is subjective on most any cruise ship, be it RCCL, Carnival or whatever. We're not picky eaters. We've cruised on the Liberty twice, and the food tasted fine to us. The only exception I have is the bacon served on the breakfast buffet. It's a little soggy for me. I prefer crisp bacon. I quickly learned to pass on the bacon and get ham instead. Whether you eat at the buffet or in the MDR, you always have a choice. If you get something you don't like, you're not stuck with it. You can always get something different at the buffet, or ask for something different in the MDR.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food in general. My one suggestion is, if you are a pizza fan, do try the pizza at "Pizza Pirate," the 24 hour pizzeria. It is as close as it gets to authentic Italian pizza and much better than the pizza on other cruise lines I've tried. As for the buffet and the MDR, it is usually good, but you may get an overcooked meat on occasion. I'm sure someone else will recommend the steakhouse and I'm sure it's good, I've just never tried it, being satisfied with the free venues. I hope you enjoy your cruise and find something good to eat. I'm sure you will.

I thought the food was generally good on Carnival, with the exception of desserts outside the MDR (not good!) Inside the MDR I always enjoyed the creme brulee, if nothing else there is always ice cream available in several flavors.

I thought the food was generally good on Carnival, with the exception of desserts outside the MDR (not good!) Inside the MDR I always enjoyed the creme brulee, if nothing else there is always ice cream available in several flavors.
Yes, the crème brulee is excellent!

Main Dining Room:

I found most of the food to be excellent. The signature dessert is of course Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. If it’s offered, Bitter and Blanc has a reputation not far behind it (I personally haven’t had it). Pro tip: you can get a banana split for dessert-it’s actually on the children’s menu, but adults can order it as well.

My favorite appetizer was actually the barbecue chicken flatbread - I was expecting it would be more like a pizza, but it was refreshingly different. You typically will have shrimp cocktail, some type of chilled soup, some type of hot soup, and a salad among the appetizer choices.

For entrees, there are a handful items available every night such as a Flat Iron steak. If you’re sailing out of Port Canaveral, Red Drum Fillet should be an option the first night. Elegant night will feature options like Prime Rib and Roasted Duck. You can also get certain steakhouse items like Filet Mignon for a slight upcharge.

Both Blue Iguana Cantina and Guy’s Burger joint to be excellent choices for lunch. Blue Iguana also serves breakfast burritos.

Upstairs from the Lido buffet is a separate BBQ restaurant.

The only restaurant with a cover charge on Liberty is the Steakhouse. If you book for the first night of the cruise there should be some sort of wine special.

There is also a specialty coffee/snack bar. I’m not much of a coffee drinker, but I am partial to the milkshakes, which are available spiked.

Liberty also has Seafood Shack, which is priced a la carte. I personally haven’t had tried it as only a few ships have it.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

Food is subjective...what one likes, another may not.

That being said, I like the food in the MDR. I think it's good. It's not Michelin star, but I've never had a bad meal there. I also like the Steakhouse, sea day brunch, pizzeria and deli (old style, not tried the new one). The buffet can be hit or miss, but if something isn't to one's liking, there are choices.

Lastly, regarding Indian food on Carnival ships...the majority of chefs are Indian, so the flavours are authentic and not Americanised like what's found at many stateside Indian restaurants. This fat Indian thinks quite highly of these offerings.

My favorite foods are Guy's burgers, Blue Iguana breakfast burritos, all the pizza, the turkey sandwiches at the deli, chocolate melting cake (with extra ice cream), the banana splits in the dining room, huevos rancheros for breakfast at sea day brunch, room service BLTs for breakfast on the balcony, the room service chocolate cake, and most of the apps and dinner items in MDR are delicious. Grand Marnier souffle and bitter and blanc are aslo tasty. I love Carnival's food!

I personally enjoy Carnival food more than RCCL given I am more a "basic" eater. (ie: not a duck, lamb or seafood fan) I like the free lunch options on Carnival such as Guys, Deli, Pizza, Blue Iguana. I do avoid buffet at lunch but like the made to order omelettes for breakfast. Most all the The Sea Day Brunch menu items are good. MDR desserts "not to miss" smores sundae, bitter and blanc, tiramisu, melting cake. Buffet at night has many of the MDR menu items. You will definitely find many options and good food. Enjoy your cruise.

We actually just took our first Carnival cruise and loved the food (even more than Disney and RCCL).

Guy's Burgers are unreal (and the toppings bar has the crispiest bacon!)

Pizza Pirate has delicious pizza; oh that mushroom pizza!

Loved the sandwich shop...especially the BLT!

Don't miss the Carnival Melting Chocolate cake (served every night) or the baked alaska (last night) in the dining room

Our lobster tail on the lobster night was delicious and perfectly cooked. (and we're from New England and cook our own lobsters)

Tea on Sea Days. - Super fun and had delicious desserts and a few finger sandwiches. Tablecloths, individual tea pots. They brought a dessert cart around to everyone to choose whatever you would like. On the Glory it was from 3-4pm Platinum Dining room, deck 4 aft. It was complimentary for a choice of Lipton black tea or Biglow Green tea and all of the food items. There was a fee for the other flavored teas.

Steak and Eggs on the sea day brunch menu. The filet was just delicious!

Raisin French Toast at the buffet!

The Burritos!!!!

Did not like Guys personally. There is also a (pay) sushi window. We found that to be inedible. The proscuitto pizza at the pizza place is to die for. The BBQ upstairs at the Lido buffet tends to be empty and near there is generally a quieter area to sit. I also really like Blue Iguana. We really enjoyed the main dining room. There was a rare find on the menu every night. That was usually a little too far out there for me. The portions are small, so certainly don't hesitate to get 2 appetizers, mains or desserts!

On the Vista last year the MDR food was fair to good. The buffet was by far the absolute worst we've ever had after being on Royal, NCL, MSC, Princess, and Holland. Guys Burgers are ok and the Blue Iguana is good for breakfast burritos and lunch. If you're a buffet guy, you're in for an unpleasant surprise.

Food is obviously very subjective but as another poster said, you cannot go wrong, for dinner in the MDR with the Indian Vegetarian. It is a go to meal for most of my family many nights. The flat iron steak can be hit or miss but if it is good, it is pretty good. I always get a couple of appetizers and often a salad, and DH often gets 2 entrees and we nibble. Honestly, ask the waiter what he/she thinks is the best - they are usually spot on.

Just around the lido, Carnival's pizza is often deemed "the best," and many of us really enjoy a Guy's Burger or something from Blue Iguana (I like the taco salad - you won't see it listed on the menu but the taco shell bowls are usually in view.)

Sea Day Brunch is a nice treat, and we always eat breakfast in the MDR. Assuming they have the new menu, there are more options than you can imagine.

Lastly, steak house is worth every penny of the $35 up-charge. It's Ruth's Chris quality in food and atmosphere and you get 50% off bottles of wine if you go first night. We often kick start our cruise here.

Long-time Royal Caribbean cruiser excited to take first Carnival cruise this fall. Tell me about the food. I find cruise food to be hit or miss. I know there's some dessert that's not to be missed, but what else - at buffet, main dining room, other restaurants. I'll be on Liberty.

We're just off Glory (April 21 - 28) and found the food to anywhere from o.k. to great. We ate at the steakhouse twice and did the Chef's Table as well.

I had the New York Strip from the steakhouse the first night and was disappointed. Not at all like a NYS should be. Very tough and gristly in parts. Had a filet on the second go around and it was wonderful.

Chef's Table was excellent as usual. The wagyu is awesome. You simply must do this. Yes, $75 does seem steep but this is an unforgettable experience.

MDR was o.k. The steaks (filet) seem to be off. They're tougher and flavor is just weird. Had a flat iron steak one night.....never again. Some entrees were really good, others just so-so.

LOVE the appetizers. I could eat just those for my dinner.

LOVED the new, non sea day breakfast dining. Awesome choices.

Sea Day brunch....eggs benedict or heuvos rancheros for me.

Is Guys Burger place really that good? I see people rave about it on here. Can you compare it to a burger chain in the U.S ?

They are pretty good. Certainly far better than anything you'd get at McDonald's. As someone else said, they're comparable to Five Guys. That being said, we tend to avoid Guy's Burgers on Embarkation Day. They way people line up there, you'd think people hadn't eaten a hamburger for a year. We typically go elsewhere for lunch on Embarkation Day. There will be plenty of opportunities later during the cruise to have a burger and fries, when the lines aren't so long.

They are pretty good. Certainly far better than anything you'd get at McDonald's. As someone else said, they're comparable to Five Guys. That being said, we tend to avoid Guy's Burgers on Embarkation Day. They way people line up there, you'd think people hadn't eaten a hamburger for a year. We typically go elsewhere for lunch on Embarkation Day. There will be plenty of opportunities later during the cruise to have a burger and fries, when the lines aren't so long.

They were super quick on embarkation day. We walked up...no line, had a burger, fries and toppings all within a couple of minutes.

I always go into a cruise (or an AI resort) expecting wedding food, at a reasonably nice but by no means super fancy wedding. Because that's what it is - banquet food, not individual firing/plates. With that framework, I am rarely disappointed, and frequently happily surprised. :)

Food is obviously very subjective - for ex., hearing that Guy's burgers are comparable to Five Guys tells me to stay far(!) away, because I'm not a fan. But I know lots of people LOVE them. So imo it's the expectation-setting vs getting your heart set on any one dish that's the key.

Thank you for all the tips and food mentions! It sounds very comparable to RC. Are the "Guy" burgers Guy Fieri? I loved his burgers at Planet Hollywood. I also enjoy when there's Indian food on a cruise - it's one of my favorites. Sea Day Brunch sounds fab - I haven't had anything like that before. I also enjoy trying one upcharge restaurant, so we'll probably do that.

Is there a particular night you recommend doing the upcharge restaurant? Like a particular menu night that's not great in the MDR? Or just pick any night?

Thank you for all the tips and food mentions! It sounds very comparable to RC. Are the "Guy" burgers Guy Fieri? I loved his burgers at Planet Hollywood. I also enjoy when there's Indian food on a cruise - it's one of my favorites. Sea Day Brunch sounds fab - I haven't had anything like that before. I also enjoy trying one upcharge restaurant, so we'll probably do that.

Is there a particular night you recommend doing the upcharge restaurant? Like a particular menu night that's not great in the MDR? Or just pick any night?

Yes, it's Guy Fieri. Going to the steakhouse on the first night, you used to get a free bottle of wine. If that is still the case, that is the best night to go.

Yes - same "Guy." He did this burger thing just for Carnival with "donkey sauce" his BBQ sauce, chili, onion rings, and SMC - super melty cheese, that is his Carnival gig. DH loves burgers, and short of mine at home ;) he likes Guys best of all.