Snorkeling...

Beaches were the worst ever, island is nothing but a flat wasteland. Unless you take a tour, there is absolutely nothing to do there. I researched hours to try to find a good beach, one that everyone said was the best. It was the worst I have ever been too. Rocky, walk into the water and drop to 100 ft, bathrooms stank, etc.

Again if you take a tour to snorkel or dive, it is probably great, but if you just want a great beach to hang out at, not happening. If we ever go back there (and hopefully we won't) we will stay on the ship.

I was just wondering because we were not that impressed. We did a snorkeling tour with Woodwind and were not that impressed with them, either. Water was pretty rough, we didn't see much, and we wondered if they could have gone to a better location. I was pretty surprised given how everyone says they love it so much and they get great reviews. We also walked around the shopping area and everything was pretty expensive.

Having said all of that, the best place we've ever been snorkeling was Hol Chan Marine park in Belize. We flew over to Ambergris Caye on a little plane from Belize city. Fantastic, but probably not a lot of cruisers would feel comfortable doing this. We took a chance and it was great! :D

I was just wondering because we were not that impressed. We did a snorkeling tour with Woodwind and were not that impressed with them, either. Water was pretty rough, we didn't see much, and we wondered if they could have gone to a better location. I was pretty surprised given how everyone says they love it so much and they get great reviews. We also walked around the shopping area and everything was pretty expensive.

Having said all of that, the best place we've ever been snorkeling was Hol Chan Marine park in Belize. We flew over to Ambergris Caye on a little plane from Belize city. Fantastic, but probably not a lot of cruisers would feel comfortable doing this. We took a chance and it was great! :D

I'm sure Woodwind has good days and bad, like everyone else, maybe you caught then on a bad one. FWIW Belize is my second favorite snorkeling behind Bonaire, swimming with the nurse sharks and rays after the snorkeling was awesome.

Hands down Bonaire is the best snorkeling and diving island. They say professional divers go there for vacations...and I believe it.

Interesting the nay sayers most likely have never taken the inexpensive water

taxis from near the ship over to very close by "No Name Key". AKA Klein Bonaire.

They drop you on the sandy...yes SANDY beach and you can walk up with your snorkel gear to where the cut out in the reef is. Paddle through that and a pleasant fish filled gentle current brings you along the outside of the pretty reef, which takes you back to the soft sandy beach and just walk back up. Have done this many times, and look forward to it each time. :hearteyes:

Edited by island lady

• 5 months later...

Ok, so we have our cruise picked out. Oasis In February. Stops in Nassau, St Thomas, and St Maarten. Any recommendations of good excursions/ places to snorkel in any of those 3 ports? FYI, those in the group that want to snorkel are beginners. So any recommendations are appreciated!

Ok, so we have our cruise picked out. Oasis In February. Stops in Nassau, St Thomas, and St Maarten. Any recommendations of good excursions/ places to snorkel in any of those 3 ports? FYI, those in the group that want to snorkel are beginners. So any recommendations are appreciated!

See the port of call forums:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 5:54 PM, BecciBoo said:

CoCo Cay is great, almost any beach in St. Thomas, not much on St. Maarten proper. Of course Cozumel and Belize especially if you book an excursion. Here's my video of Goff's Caye in Belize and this wasn't even the good side of the Caye:

And this is a great drone vid of it:

West Bay Beach in Roatan but be careful, you can get stuck in the reef.

Bonaire and the reef off the coast of Belieze are the best.  We have snorkeled at just about every island in the Caribbean.  You can find little spots here and there but these are the best generally speaking.  

If you’ve picked your cruise try St Thomas.  Go over to St. John and try the snorkel trail.  Beautiful beach and okay snorkel. Or do one of the ships excursions that includes snorkeling. They’ll supply all the gear you need.   Try it before investing in your own.