Flight+cruise from Florida VS Cruise from NYC/NJ

ghes1986

Hi,

We live in NJ (35min from Cape Liberty) and planning a cruise for next year, probably combo 7-8days Bermuda/Bahamas or Caribbean with either 2 inside stateroom or 1 balcony room (2 adults + 2 under 3).

Briefly looking at prices for different cruises and dates it seems to always be cheaper to cruise from Florida than NYC/NJ. Is that an accurate statement for those of you who have compared it?

If it is, at approximately what would be an average price difference (ballpark) for inside or balcony stateroom for similar itinerary?

Want to see if the price difference would make up for a return flight from NYC/NJ airport to Florida airport.

Hope my question makes sense and sorry if somebody else already ask I wasn't really able to find anything.

Thank you all!

... Briefly looking at prices for different cruises and dates it seems to always be cheaper to cruise from Florida than NYC/NJ. Is that an accurate statement for those of you who have compared it? ...

That has been my experience comparing prices for Royal Caribbean cruises out of Bayonne vs Florida. Even less expensive than Florida are RC cruises out of Galveston.

Money isn't everything. Do you really want to fly with two little ones?

Heck, you'll be from your home and in your cabin in less time than it will take you to get from your home to takeoff.

Depends what time of year you go. Would you be OK with a day or two of cooler (maybe cold) weather? Would you be OK with a couple of more sea days? Lines/ships/itineraries are somewhat more limited when sailing out of NJ, compared to Fla sailings. Lots more options with Fla departures. You have to ultimately decide what works best for you. Price isn't the only consideration.

Live in NJ (10 miles from NYC) and have enjoyed cruised out of Florida and NY. It is incredible to leave your house and be on vacation in 20 minutes vs traveling all day (and we fly in the day before). Getting home by 9 am is huge, too. Plus, as a family of 7, flights are expensive.

Briefly looking at prices for different cruises and dates it seems to always be cheaper to cruise from Florida than NYC/NJ. Is that an accurate statement for those of you who have compared it?

Generally speaking, yes. There are many ships sailing out of different ports in Florida throughout the year. There are only a handful of ships sailing out of NYC/NJ, some maybe just for a few months in a year. Basic demand and supply. Of course, depends on the timing of the cruise and the type of itinerary, you can always find an exception.

If it is, at approximately what would be an average price difference (ballpark) for inside or balcony stateroom for similar itinerary?

There are really too many variables. You can get different answers depends on the ships, date, itinerary, type of cabins, other promotion such as kids sail free. Pick the timing of when you think you can go, pick a few ships (Florida and NY/NJ), add airfare, transportation, parking, etc. and plug all numbers in a spreadsheet and see what you get.

Have you actually flown with 2 children under 3 yet? Think about it carefully. You want a vacation, not a travel nightmare. Save those Florida cruises for when the kids are older. Throw them in the car for a 30 minute ride, cruise out of Cape Liberty on a ship that has babysitting for toddlers, and be on vacation the moment you walk on the ship. Don't discount doing 4 in an inside cabin with a virtual balcony on the Anthem.

Hi,

We live in NJ (35min from Cape Liberty) and planning a cruise for next year, probably combo 7-8days Bermuda/Bahamas or Caribbean with either 2 inside stateroom or 1 balcony room (2 adults + 2 under 3).

Want to see if the price difference would make up for a return flight from NYC/NJ airport to Florida airport.

Hope my question makes sense and sorry if somebody else already ask I wasn't really able to find anything.

Thank you all!

Have you taken into account all the other expenses you will incur by flying to Florida for the lower cruise rate...air fare, hotel, transportation EWR, transportation cruise port, transportation airport Florida?

I am not a supporter of 4 in a cabin but with your children so young, that would be the time to do it. At that age and dependent on your work schedules, could you cruise in November and December (as prices are cheaper)? An Anthem 12/2019 7 night cruise both inside and balcony are about the same price as a random 7 night Allure 7 night 12/2019 cruise. Much cheaper when you factor in other expenses not to be incurred by cruising from NJ and much more convenient.

Start pricing cruises whose itineraries interest you - from both locations. The fare differences on ones I’ve seen are not so great as to offset the air fares, related costs to/from airports, etc.

Finally, price should not be only determinent: a short drive with small children sure beats getting to airports, checking in, boarding, and just being on the plane with them. THINK!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a great well priced Carib cruise then I highly suggest you book ncl 12 or 14 day Carib cruise out of NYC in January or February

Yup done it twice thus far and the weather will be fine by day 2

You will actually get to the Carib and visit several islands

Also

Please don't confuse the Bahamas as a Carib cruise. 2 different things completely

You kids are still babies but I would suggest 1 ov with a sofa bed versus 2 insides

No balcony yet for you. Too scary with babies. Others will disagree but if you are ok with it go for a balcony but be carful with the heavy door and the chairs they can climb up on

Btw a 7 night cruise from the NYC area will not get you to the Carib

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow I didn't expect so many replies.

Really appreciate the tips and insights.

We just came back from a 5 days Bermuda cruise with all my family in law (10 adults and 3 toddlers) on the Anthem of the seas, we had two inside stateroom with virtual balcony for my pregnant wife, I and our 2 1/2yr old. It was very nice to have two rooms. Only downside was the evening nothing much to do and would have love to just hang out on a balcony. So I m going to read more on what other people do and tips on the 1 balcony vs 2 inside rooms.

With our daughter we have flown since she was 5 month old (13 round trip since, of which 3 to Europe), so with number 2 it will be starting that whole process over :s . We usually like to do road trip and explore but I have to admit it's getting harder with little ones as the only thing they really want is a playground haha. So driving 30min, hoping on the boat and being on vacation was indeed a nice feeling rather than all the hassles of getting through an airport and entertaining the little ones through 8 hours plane rides.

You have to compare the whole cost of the trip, not just the cruise fares. After you add in airfare, it's almost always cheaper to cruise out of the NY area if you live here.

For example, I just ran a quick search. Cruise out of NY is $750 pp but the cruise out of Miami is $550. You still have to get 4 people to port. From your house, you can probably get a round trip car service for say $150 including tolls. Other wise you need a ride to the airport (say maybe $100) plus 4 tickets to Florida even at $200 per person, that's $800 & hotel for the night before which will be another $150. So it's actually cheaper for you to sail from home.

We switch it up because we tend to sail in January. When we sail out of NY we have to go on a 10 day cruise because the Bahamas is rarely warm enough & we have 2+ days on board when we can't go outside. If we want the warmth to start when we deplane, we fly to Florida but sometime that transition day is nice.

Don't forget the ability, when you drive to port, to bring anything you want (that is allowed) vs worrying about weight requirements or whether you can schlep everything around if traveling.