BEWARE of the MOVE UP bidding!

Look at Millie, May 25 sailing (2018). RS Senior rate is $4699. Non-senior Go Best rate is $5099. So $800 less for 2 passengers (if seniors) and you still get Premium package, internet and specialty restaurants. You don’t get gratuities, but at that price point most TAs are going to give enough $$ in

OBC to cover the cost of gratuities.

Thank you. I see what you mean in your example. It would be a waste to get the Best perks at that rate. The same Millie cruise next year does not have a lower rate offer, nor do any of my current bookings. I will watch it more closely in the future to see if it is available on any of my future cruises, although I only occasionally book a RS. I also might not see the “no perk” rate very often because I usually book early and monitor the prices.

Thank you again for providing the example.

Thank you. I see what you mean in your example. It would be a waste to get the Best perks at that rate. The same Millie cruise next year does not have a lower rate offer, nor do any of my current bookings. I will watch it more closely in the future to see if it is available on any of my future cruises, although I only occasionally book a RS. I also might not see the “no perk” rate very often because I usually book early and monitor the prices.

Thank you again for providing the example.

Yes, the resident and/or senior rates often don’t appear until later on in the game. As newly retirees, we’re getting to the point where we now book most cruises after final payment. Of course not everyone has that kind of flexibility, but so far it’s working for us.

My example is the Equinox Sept 3 2018 which was $4799 with perks and $4099 with senior rate. So I'm saving $1400 for the 2 of us where tips are $396 and don't get $300 OBC with the Suite Perks. But now my reservation is eligible for $200 share holder credit because I don't have any perks. I'll take the net savings of $904. And yes my TA gives me plenty of refundable OBC to cover my on-board spend.

All the Caribbean cruises I looked at in the Sept through early Dec 2018 range had senior or resident discounts available (or really the ability to book without BBB perks). Yes it's all smoke and mirrors.

PS I booked 3/2/2018 and the rates have been available ever since.

• 1 month later...

Not certain whether this is helpful or not, so apologies if I'm redundant, but with PS & RS on the new "MoveUP" bidding offers, both still come along with the "All-in" benefits that normally accompany those suites:

• Premium "All-In" Benefits, including complimentary Premium Beverage package, unlimited complimentary specialty dining, and unlimited internet access.

Also, Any promotions associated with the original booking will remain in effect

One thing that I think they're doing "right" in this approach is allowing a good deal of choice--for example the range of suite classes, each with it's own bid amount. Having made the mistake once, I'll never again turn down an SS1 aft for a CS on any S class ship, but wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for an RS.

Seems to me that this plan, currently in use on 5 ships, frees up some labor costs by letting the computer both offer and sort the offers as well as providing some fantastic insight into what customers are willing to pay for various category upgrades. Once that is cross referenced with cruise history, management gets some valuable data for future pricing.

From the customer perspective it means that the person willing to pay the most gets the benefit rather than whoever happened to be first to respond to one of the old "upgrade for$x" phone calls and emails. Thus it seems to even the playing field a bit.

W

Suites don't always come with the Go Best. And, our current sailing, they are offering the Royal Suite and Penthouse suite for a discounted rate without any perks. I was surprised when I saw that. They really want to move those cabins.

Suites don’t always come with Go Best (Repos, Resident’s Rate, etc.) - however! Royal and Penthouse Suites always come with the Premium Drink Package and Unlimited Internet (2 out of the 4 Go Best) and they also include unlimited Specialty Dining.

I received an email for upgrading to suites. I am currently in a sky suite and the website shows that you cannot purchase any suites and that they are all booked. I am wondering if Celebrity is saving some suites aside to do this gimmicky upgrade and trying to make more money off it. Very sketchy.

I received an email for upgrading to suites. I am currently in a sky suite and the website shows that you cannot purchase any suites and that they are all booked. I am wondering if Celebrity is saving some suites aside to do this gimmicky upgrade and trying to make more money off it. Very sketchy.

I too am in suites on sold out sailings and have gotten the offer but my sense is that this is just a way of widening the net for what they have done in the past with last minute cancellations--it hasn't happened on every trip but on a couple of occasions where the ship was "sold out" I've gotten a call and email offering a better suite for a few hundred bucks extra.

I don't think this is sketchy as much as a way of automating that process of falling dominoes when a cabin becomes available. This way they can do any necessary reassignments quickly and for the most people were willing to pay.

Assuming you have already made your final payment, then you may have a point. Perhaps Celebrity is collecting data on what people might be willing to pay.

If the final payment is not yet due, Suites are almost certainly become available as the final payment becomes due.

I don't think this is sketchy as much as a way of automating that process of falling dominoes when a cabin becomes available. This way they can do any necessary reassignments quickly and for the most people were willing to pay.

Agreed. People cancel for all sorts of reasons, at dates up to just before sailing.

All this is about is if the cruise has cabins left, they have a ready range of offers, can go through those quickly and allocate at a high price, rather than leaving them unsold.

If they sell out earlier, that's all fine too. There's no promise in this offer that a cabin will be available, just that you make a bid saying what you're willing to pay if there is one available.

Assuming you have already made your final payment, then you may have a point. Perhaps Celebrity is collecting data on what people might be willing to pay.

If the final payment is not yet due, Suites are almost certainly become available as the final payment becomes due.

As you will not in the posted info about the program on the celebrity web site, Click Here it's only offered about 30 days prior to sailing, thus well after final payment is due.

As you will not in the posted info about the program on the celebrity web site, Click Here it's only offered about 30 days prior to sailing, thus well after final payment is due.

If only offered about 30 days before the cruise, then I see the point. It does seem strange that people would be bidding for a suite when none are available. It Is possible that Celebrity is just gathering data on how much people might pay for a suite. If I had an offer to bid and I saw that there were no suites available on the website, I probably would not bother. I certainly do not appreciate this particular “survey” method.

If only offered about 30 days before the cruise, then I see the point. It does seem strange that people would be bidding for a suite when none are available. It Is possible that Celebrity is just gathering data on how much people might pay for a suite. If I had an offer to bid and I saw that there were no suites available on the website, I probably would not bother. I certainly do not appreciate this particular “survey” method.

They have a few pages on the site regarding the program and the 5 ships currently using it. Not sure whether you've ever received a similar email,but in the last couple of days prior to sailing, Celebrity sometimes sends out emails/phone calls inviting one to pay a bit to upgrade to a better suite (or I assume, cabin). This happens when someone cancels last minute on otherwise sold out trips and within 40 hours of so of departure, those cancellations do not go back into regular revenue inventory.They are transferred over to the "upgrade" team.

The new program appears to simply automate that system so that when there are last minute cancellations--or the rare unsold cabin--the person willing to pay the most gets it. Certainly no requirement that one bid, but it is a nifty system--just got the invites for my b2b later this month and was able to make an offer on RS and PS while skipping CS--for me aft corner SS beats CS hands down. This way there's no danger of an "undesired" upgrade, and I get to think about what I'd be willing to pay with some luxury of time rather than needing to respond quickly to an email as in the older system.

As above, and before, it's not a survey method but a new way of handling upgrades.

Easier for them, and also for the recipients as you can make your bid at leisure, and without worry of missing the call while travelling or just unavailable for whatever reason.

As mentioned above I am sure you are confusing the Perks associated with the BBB. With the Best you get four of the Perks. On most cruise (not repositioning cruises) Celebrity offers a single regular price for suites that include the Best (all four perks). The Perks are Classic Drink Package, Free Internet, $300 OBC, free gratuities, and an upgrade to the Premium Drink Package. If you book a RS, you get no value out of the Free Premium Drink Package and Internet as it is already include in the benefits (along with many other items) with the RS booking.

If you book a RS in a repositioning Cruise you do not get the Best Perks. With a RS you still get the Premium Drink Package, Free Internet, and the many other benefits. You do not receive the free gratuities and $300 OBC. I have done this twice, so I know it is true.

One time I received a reduced paid upgrade to a RS, but I only received the CC points for my original Sky Suite booking. I suspect this might be true for this new bidding process, but I have yet to an offer under this new offer.

I am amazed that Celebrity is offering a starting bid for an upgrade at a price that is greater than the current on line price. I would hope this is just a misunderstanding. I would just call and upgrade without bidding.

Good luck

Thanks Jag this is very useful to another thread I’ve just posted. Do you still get unlimited speciality dining in RS on repositioning ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jag this is very useful to another thread I’ve just posted. Do you still get unlimited speciality dining in RS on repositioning ?

To be filed under "dead horse":

YES unlimited specialty, along with internet, prem beverage, balcony, flushing toilet etc are part of the RS experience and not part of the "perks" pacs which are unavailable on Repos. PLEASE check the celebrity website...Click here for Royal suite info ( scrolling down a little will also be required.)

To be filed under "dead horse":

YES unlimited specialty, along with internet, prem beverage, balcony, flushing toilet etc are part of the RS experience and not part of the "perks" pacs which are unavailable on Repos. PLEASE check the celebrity website...Click here for Royal suite info ( scrolling down a little will also be required.)

Gosh thanks for the constructive feedback ... FWIW ) have checked the X website but as we’re being told something completely different verbally, I thought it was useful to gauge the feedback from here before I resume discussion today.

I was simply (or not) trying to establish whether repositioning cruises were classified differently in some way.

(Footnote: I have three horses of my own and none of them are dead).

Please ignore the insults although the question was answered.

You will not need to be belittled to receive my answer.

Yes, we received the unlimited dining in the RS during a repositioning Cruise. IMO the extra costs of the RS on repositioning cruise is somewhat offset by the benefits that you receive that are not duplicate. The Premium drink package and unlimited internet are often included in all suites at a good price on regular cruises.

Enjoy.

Please ignore the insults although the question was answered.

You will not need to be belittled to receive my answer.

Yes, we received the unlimited dining in the RS during a repositioning Cruise. IMO the extra costs of the RS on repositioning cruise is somewhat offset by the benefits that you receive that are not duplicate. The Premium drink package and unlimited internet are often included in all suites at a good price on regular cruises.

Enjoy.

Thx Jag. :-)

All sorted. Very happy to report that the wholesaler had indeed got confused between a “perks offer” and the suite entitlements. It’s always good to respectfully challenge advice if you suspect it’s wrong.

Thanks to CC friends for your constructive advice.

Booked! (With the dining, internet and premium beverage :-) )

Our current sailing, they are offering the Royal Suite and Penthouse suite for a discounted rate without any perks. I was surprised when I saw that. They really want to move those cabins.

RS and PH already come with a host of benefits. Are you stating as a fact that the 'move up' only gets you the cabin but not the perks that come with the cabin? If you upgrade from an aqua, you get no Butler, for instance?

• 11 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 12:33 AM, Kiwifromkiev said:

I don’t expect an email- not special enough emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I GOT THAT EMAIL.  i bid on each suite . . why not?  but i made sure not to bid more then the suite is actually pricing for!  common sense!  i don't think i could EVER do an inside cabin or oceanview . . . my personal choice but having a coffee or drink or breakfast on a balcony is FABULOUS!

• Like 1