Things you do BEFORE leaving on a cruise

MFScruise

And posting on Facebook is telling a lot of people you will be out of your house.
If that's a significant worry for people then they really need to fix their security settings and trim down their distribution for their posts.

I don't understand all the people emptying their fridge and freezer. It is a WEEK. :D
Freezer? Indeed. Fridge, well it depends. Lettuce that we bought the previously weekend, for example, won't last the extra week. We'd rather it go out when it is still mostly green rather than after it has turned to a soggy black mess.

Freezer? Indeed. Fridge, well it depends. Lettuce that we bought the previously weekend, for example, won't last the extra week. We'd rather it go out when it is still mostly green rather than after it has turned to a soggy black mess.

That I can see. But people seem to be implying they empty it out. And most stuff in my fridge is at least a week old. :D

I wouldn't wish the 2 hour rush hour commute, from the northern edge of the Atlanta metro area, where we live, to the southern edge of the Atlanta area, where they put the airport, on my worst enemy. And for breakfast? Some friend I would be imposing on them like that!

For me, it would be 30 minutes to SMF, not two hours, for each way to the SMF airport. And, no, it's not a McDonald's or Denny's breakfast. There are some good sit-down restaurants on the way to the airport. If they ask for a fill-up, no problem.

I seldom find that SouthWest is the cheapest.

And posting on Facebook is telling a lot of people you will be out of your house.

I don't understand all the people emptying their fridge and freezer. It is a WEEK. :D

Southwest often ends up being the cheapest because they do not charge for bags.

We will definitely leave an almost-empty freezer when we go on vacation - last year we came home to a freezer that had malfunctioned and tripped the breaker, resulting in a lot of rotten food - yuck - not to mention the monetary loss.

I wouldn't wish the 2 hour rush hour commute, from the northern edge of the Atlanta metro area, where we live, to the southern edge of the Atlanta area, where they put the airport, on my worst enemy. And for breakfast? Some friend I would be imposing on them like that!

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

When we fly from Atlanta we take MARTA from the Kiss Ride at the northernmost MARTA station from my daughter's home in the Northeast suburbs,

One thing I always do is take a picture of my contact info on my camera, in case it gets misplaced. I also place a note with my cabin # in the pocket of my Kindle cover in case I leave it laying somewhere on the ship.

When we fly from Atlanta we take MARTA from the Kiss Ride at the northernmost MARTA station from my daughter's home in the Northeast suburbs,
Parking at North Springs and taking Marta to the airport is a great idea. I still wouldn't impose on a friend to chauffeur us when we are perfectly capable of driving ourselves.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Edited by bUU

We often travel for extended periods. Usually two months at a time or more.

We empty our freezer. Well almost. About a month or two prior to departure we start eating out of freezer in order to reduce the contents. Not worried about a power outage since it would be fine for a day or so. A malfunction would be worse. We do the same with the contents of our fridge. Helps us keep everything fresh and not subject to freezer burn etc.

That is about about the only prep we do, other than asking our good neighbour to checkon the house once in a while. No pets, no plants.

A good tip is to put a cup of water in the freezer and let it freeze, then place a quarter on top of the ice in the cup. That way if there is a power outage, the quarter will have sunk to the bottom of the cup, and will be on the bottom even if the water refrezzes.

wow. some of you all really put a lot of thought into this and do a lot. Maybe I'm just more used to being gone a lot more than most of you all, but I don't do hardly any of this stuff. I am gone away form home from work about 3 weeks of every month and just set the heat/ac higher or lower depending on the season (58 in winter and 80 in summer). My mail box is pretty stuffed after 3 weeks (mostly junk mail) but the mail lady knows what i do and she just keeps stuffing it in.;p. I usually pack the day before, ok, actually the night before. Passport is always in my dresser drawer ready for action. (No photo copies needed as I use the real thing).

Credit cards are already notified I travel all over so just a quick note I'll be leaving the country if needed. It is actually easy for me to vacation as I am usually "only" gone for a week and i can actually keep some stuff in the fridge to eat when i get home. :cool:

If going to new ports, check out the ports on you tube and if I am leaving from a new port, check out the port on you tube... wonderful resource for getting the lay of the land an ports ahead of time.

wow. some of you all really put a lot of thought into this and do a lot. Maybe I'm just more used to being gone a lot more than most of you all, but I don't do hardly any of this stuff. I am gone away form home from work about 3 weeks of every month and just set the heat/ac higher or lower depending on the season (58 in winter and 80 in summer). My mail box is pretty stuffed after 3 weeks (mostly junk mail) but the mail lady knows what i do and she just keeps stuffing it in.;p. I usually pack the day before, ok, actually the night before. Passport is always in my dresser drawer ready for action. (No photo copies needed as I use the real thing).

Credit cards are already notified I travel all over so just a quick note I'll be leaving the country if needed. It is actually easy for me to vacation as I am usually "only" gone for a week and i can actually keep some stuff in the fridge to eat when i get home. :cool:

Agreed.

But mail hold online is very easy and avoids the stuffed box where people can see it is stuffed.

And setting the water heater back when gone can really drop your electric bill.

Agreed.

But mail hold online is very easy and avoids the stuffed box where people can see it is stuffed.

And setting the water heater back when gone can really drop your electric bill.

i used to flip the breaker to the water heater....never actually noticed much difference. Only pain was when I got home I had to wait for the water to heat up before i could shower.:mad:

Now living in an apartment, we have little lockable mail boxes so no-one can see how stuffed they are. And when I lived in TX i had a P.O. box so same deal.