Using Capital One card to purchase AARP Carnival Gift Cards

waldreps

Have any of you tried purchasing Carnival Gift cards from AARP using a Capital One credit card? It says the card is declined every time I've tried. When I call AARP Rewards, they tell me its telling them it was declined because of incorrect address. So I logged onto my Capital One account and copied the address and pasted it into the AARP Rewards site info. It still wouldn't work. I called Capital One and they tell me that it's AARP Rewards that's declining it. Captial One says the pending charge looks fine and was approved but then AARP or their card service declined it. I called AARP back and was told they've had that trouble with Capital One cards and nothing they could do. I've successfully used my local bank debit card but would really like to use my Capital One credit card. Just wondering if anyone had run into this. Thanks!

Edited by waldreps

I have used my Cap 1 card in the past but it has been several months.

Hmmm, I'm glad somebody can use them. I tried a couple of months ago and just tried today. Still the same thing. I was hoping they would get it fixed but no luck. Thanks!

It's a long shot, but some vendors and CC companies are more sensitive than others to addresses that may not completely conform to the USPS "format." In some cases it will be automatically corrected on the back end and the change may not be visible to you. If one side is silently correcting the address and the other is not, it could result in a mismatch that you can't see. You can try entering your address into the validator on the USPS site and see if it makes any changes to your address, and if it does, update both your CC and AARP to the corrected format. Go here and select lookup by address to see if it makes any changes: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

It's a long shot, but some vendors and CC companies are more sensitive than others to addresses that may not completely conform to the USPS "format." In some cases it will be automatically corrected on the back end and the change may not be visible to you. If one side is silently correcting the address and the other is not, it could result in a mismatch that you can't see. You can try entering your address into the validator on the USPS site and see if it makes any changes to your address, and if it does, update both your CC and AARP to the corrected format. Go here and select lookup by address to see if it makes any changes: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

Thanks, I'll go try that right now.

The address the tool shows is the exact same address I have for both AARP and my Capital One credit card. Just to be sure, I copied and pasted the USPS address over both existing ones and saved them. Tried the transaction again, but it still declines the card. I even tried it using a different browser just to eliminate that but still the same thing. Oh well, thanks for the suggestion.

What if you use the Carnival FunPoints Mastercard to buy the discounted Carnival gift cards? ;p

I wish I could do that, but I don't have one and they wouldn't approve me for one.

I always try to buy with the debit card but fraud prevention stops it and I always have to use my Alaska air miles card. Weird.

Apparently they have some really weird things going on with their credit card service they use. I wish they would fix it.

This happened to me in December. The address was the culprit.

I like to put my apartment number on the same line as the street address. That was declined. I tried putting the apartment number on the second line, and it was still declined.

It turns out that the official address on my Capital One credit card had the apartment number on the first line and street address on the second line.

I changed the address on my credit card so the apartment number was on the second line. I was advised to wait 24 hours before trying again. I waited a few days before trying again because I was still pissed off. The transaction for three $100 ecards went through.

I have been using my Capitalone card for years buying the AARP gift cards. I have never had a problem. That being said, I just had a problem buying something from Costco with the card. So who knows.

This happened to me in December. The address was the culprit.

I like to put my apartment number on the same line as the street address. That was declined. I tried putting the apartment number on the second line, and it was still declined.

It turns out that the official address on my Capital One credit card had the apartment number on the first line and street address on the second line.

I changed the address on my credit card so the apartment number was on the second line. I was advised to wait 24 hours before trying again. I waited a few days before trying again because I was still pissed off. The transaction for three $100 ecards went through.

AARP tells me that it's being declined because the address line doesn't match but they look identical. I've even copied and pasted to make sure. I don't have an apartment number. My address is XXXX Xth St SW and I've typed them in the same both places, no puncuation, and even copied and pasted. AARP's card services provider just won't approve it. They tell me they can't do it over the phone either and told me they have lots of trouble with Capital One cards. I can use my local bank debit card but it's the principle now that I want to figure it out and get it right. Lol.

We use Capital One for everything, including Carnival gift card. $1600 Cheers was $1440, never had a problem

My Capital One card works everywhere I've tried it except with AARP...just baffling.

AARP tells me that it's being declined because the address line doesn't match but they look identical. I've even copied and pasted to make sure. I don't have an apartment number. My address is XXXX Xth St SW and I've typed them in the same both places, no puncuation, and even copied and pasted. AARP's card services provider just won't approve it. They tell me they can't do it over the phone either and told me they have lots of trouble with Capital One cards. I can use my local bank debit card but it's the principle now that I want to figure it out and get it right. Lol.

I had no problems when I used my Capital One debit card to buy seven $100 physical cards(4 and 3) in April 2017. I wonder if the problem is with Capital One credit cards or Capital One itself?

I completely understand continuing to press them for answers. I become an obnoxious pest until a problem is resolved.

I noticed that Google Maps sometimes likes to change Xth St SW to Southwest Xth St. I wonder if the Rewards for Good systems are doing that.

I had no problems when I used my Capital One debit card to buy seven $100 physical cards(4 and 3) in April 2017. I wonder if the problem is with Capital One credit cards or Capital One itself?

I completely understand continuing to press them for answers. I become an obnoxious pest until a problem is resolved.

I noticed that Google Maps sometimes likes to change Xth St SW to Southwest Xth St. I wonder if the Rewards for Good systems are doing that.

Capital One tells me that it's AARP's card service that is cancelling the charge each time, but who knows. The addresses show up the same for me on both websites but maybe it's doing that behind the scenes from what I can see. I'll get it to work eventually. :p:p

• 1 month later...
Have any of you tried purchasing Carnival Gift cards from AARP using a Capital One credit card? It says the card is declined every time I've tried. When I call AARP Rewards, they tell me its telling them it was declined because of incorrect address. So I logged onto my Capital One account and copied the address and pasted it into the AARP Rewards site info. It still wouldn't work. I called Capital One and they tell me that it's AARP Rewards that's declining it. Captial One says the pending charge looks fine and was approved but then AARP or their card service declined it. I called AARP back and was told they've had that trouble with Capital One cards and nothing they could do. I've successfully used my local bank debit card but would really like to use my Capital One credit card. Just wondering if anyone had run into this. Thanks!

I used mine last month to buy 2500 in aarp carnival gift cards. I like to use that card because I also get 1.5 % cashback on all purchases, so the discounted gift cards are even better.

your RFG "ship to" address must match the mailing/billing address on the card you're using.

even if you select "email delivery" of your GCs, the ship to address must match the card's mailing/billing address.

also the name on your credit card must match the full billing/mailing address of the CC card you're using.

hope this helps.

your RFG "ship to" address must match the mailing/billing address on the card you're using.

even if you select "email delivery" of your GCs, the ship to address must match the card's mailing/billing address.

also the name on your credit card must match the full billing/mailing address of the CC card you're using.

hope this helps.

Everything matches exactly and I've verified it over and over but the Capital One card just gets declined by the AARP card processor every time. They say it says the address doesn't match but it does. I'm still working on it and trying different ways of writing my address to get it to work but no luck yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Forums mobile app

hope this helps.

That isn't enough for Capital One cards. I know the addresses have to match. That is fairly standard. The problem is that RFG wants the address format to match as well. For example, if an apartment number is officially the first line of your billing address, RFG wants that first even though having the street address on the first line is also an acceptable way to write an address. The USPS will deliver mail to either format.

Most places that ask for your billing address don't care about the street address/apartment format. Even if they say the addresses must match, they really only care that the zip codes match. RFG only seems to have a tantrum when someone tries to use a Capital One card.

Everything matches exactly and I've verified it over and over but the Capital One card just gets declined by the AARP card processor every time. They say it says the address doesn't match but it does. I'm still working on it and trying different ways of writing my address to get it to work but no luck yet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Forums mobile app

This happened to me in December. I called Capital One to ask what format my billing address was in. It was my apartment number on the first line and street address on the second line. I officially changed my billing address on the card and waited a few days before trying again. The card was finally accepted. I think the Capital One rep said to wait 24 hours to try again. I was pissed off so I waited for a couple extra days.

I hate how the apartment first/street address second format looks, so I know I didn't tell Capital One to use that format. I also don't like that they put my middle initial on the card instead of my middle name. I don't like the looks of just my middle initial. I think the formats they used were pulled from my credit report.

This happened to me in December. I called Capital One to ask what format my billing address was in. It was my apartment number on the first line and street address on the second line. I officially changed my billing address on the card and waited a few days before trying again. The card was finally accepted. I think the Capital One rep said to wait 24 hours to try again. I was pissed off so I waited for a couple extra days.

I hate how the apartment first/street address second format looks, so I know I didn't tell Capital One to use that format. I also don't like that they put my middle initial on the card instead of my middle name. I don't like the looks of just my middle initial. I think the formats they used were pulled from my credit report.

I don't have an apartment so my address is just XXXX Xth St SW all on one line. I've copied and pasted to make sure the address in both places are the same. It just baffles me cause everything looks identical. Capital One tells me it's the AARP card processor that's canceling the transaction.