Botched Booking

My husband and I are recent converts to cruising, we especially enjoy long, lazy days at sea. We wanted to do a transatlantic, and the trip from Barcelona to Tampa in November of 2019 (35th anniversary cruise!) sounded ideal, and the price was good.

Now, I know from reading this site that opinion varies on using a travel agent. We are experimenting with different approaches; so far we have booked ourselves through calling Royal Caribbean directly, booking through, um, a big box store that sells everything, and this cruise was with a more traditional travel agent (part of a large international chain).

This was the 9th of March. Life intervened- my husband got a surprise and short notice posting, which meant selling a house and buying another one. Meanwhile, I couldn’t log into the Crown and Anchor site (you may a heard about difficulties with that 🙄!), but wasn’t overly concerned because our next cruise isn’t until September.

Anyway, I was looking at the transatlantic on the big box store site (and congratulating myself on booking early- yeah, about that...) when I noticed my cabin was still available. Oh oh. I made the dreaded call to Crown and Anchor, where a very bored, but ultimately effective, young man got my password working again, and confirmed that our booking number was invalid.

It appears that when my travel agent gave my credit card number to Royal Caribbean it was incorrectly entered. My agent confirmed that she had copied in down correctly, and I pay it off monthly.

We now have a courtesy hold on a cabin, but I don’t want to pay the current rate. We have the official Royal Caribbean printout, not that it’s useful. I understand that these conversations are recorded, and the agent has a request in for the recording of the conversation between her and the company. I have a bad feeling about this. We aren’t anybody. We’re not Diamond Pluses, and the company can resell our cabin for more money. I guess I’m saying check everything, whether you use a travel agent or not.

I'm confused. You've been charged for a reservation that RCI says you don't have? Who charged you? If the TA didn't confirm that everything was correct and that it didn't go through then maybe they should be responsible for the increased cost. Also you said you have a printout, can you use that to enforce the original price. I would try to talk to a supervisor somewhere. Someone messed up. Luckily you found out that there was a problem sooner than later. Good luck.

If I understand your post correctly, your botched booking was with a travel agent. If so, then that is who you need to deal with. Travel agents are usually able to hold staterooms for several days, sometimes longer, with no payment. If they had a problem with your credit card, the booking should still have been held while they contacted you and got the correct info.

Looks like travel agent messed up. Has happened to me. Travel agents mess up as do RC. Lesson I have learnt is to get hold of invoice where everything is confirmed.

IME loyalty status does not make a difference when it comes to getting problem resolved. RC and travel agents will both try and help to resolve but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and re-book at a higher price or look at alternatives. If the travel agent isn't helpful, find another one for future cruises.

I believe the problem was with Royal Caribbean. We have talked to our travel agent, who is taking it up with RC.

I just want to pay the original price, so I guess I don’t care who made the mistake. People make mistakes, but I don’t want to pay for it.

I am a little confused, if your Travel Agent called in your reservation and provided the CC # and there was a problem with the CC going through then the cruise line would have contacted the TA who then would contact you to re verify the CC #'s.or the booking #'s. I am trying to understand if the Booking # was invalid, then they should have contacted your TA. I do hope everything gets resolved and you don't have to re book at the higher price.

No, I haven’t been charged anything, although I should have been. I have the Royal Caribbean invoice, which looking at it carefully, does show that. So l guess that’s on me. I figured that if I was handing it over to professionals, there would be no problem. Lesson learned.

I always check my CC to see what date a deposit or payment was made. 99 % of the time, my TA or an associate will promptly call in a reservation for me and apply the deposit with the CC on file. I just let her know the cruise, Ship & Cabin #. My Invoice shows the Deposit and all other information which is attached to her email. Her office is local and a small 3 team company so I don't receive the large OBC that a large office will give but she is reliable, and is ready to handle a problem should it arise. Anyone of her associates will handle my requests.

I have used TAs, booked directly with various cruise lines. I always verify that I receive an invoice within 24-48 hours reflecting the booking and the approriate charges going through. Either from the TA or the cruise line as appropriate.

It sounds like your TA fell down on the job.

If you booked through a TA they are responsible for the error, they would have received a confirmation from the cruise line and in turn should have forwarded the confirmation to you for your records. Your bank/CC statement would have been proof that a payment was processed with the cruise line as well. A hold without a deposit would have automatically dropped off and your card would not have been charged therefore a confirmation number would not have generated.

The TA should be responsible for the difference in pricing and I would ask for his/her supervisor, insist they make it right at their expense not yours.

At the very least you should be able to dispute the amt with your CC company.

Hope it all works out for you.

Does sound like your TA messed up. At the time they applied your payment, they should have realized something was wrong. Depending on what type of room you booked, you might still be able to find another company/TA that offer the room at the original price (because they might have taken out group rates on this sailing).