A couple Q's about passports

I have read that the 6 month rule ( pp can not be expired for 6 months after travel) does not apply if just going to the Caribbean.

1. Is this true?

2. If I get my pp renewed 6 months advance of expiration, does the month/day stay the same or do I actually lose out on 6 months of usage? (Hopefully that is clear as mud)

I have read that the 6 month rule ( pp can not be expired for 6 months after travel) does not apply if just going to the Caribbean.

1. Is this true?

2. If I get my pp renewed 6 months advance of expiration, does the month/day stay the same or do I actually lose out on 6 months of usage? (Hopefully that is clear as mud)

1: No 6 month rule on RC Caribbean cruises.

2: You would lose the 6 months.

Edited by Host Clarea

Bob, could you clarify your answer of question 2. I read it as an A/B question and you gave a yes answer.

Sorry, you are correct, that answer was ambigious.

The new passport's expiration date is 10 years from when it is issued, so you would lose those months on the old passport if you renew early.

1. Is this true?

The six month rule is because many countries do not allow you to stay over 6 months. I have friends that have parents that stay for 5 1/2 months at a time during the cold months of their country. That is because at 6 months, they overstayed their welcome in the USA. There are countries with less time permitted, such as 60 days. So to be save, any time you travel, any where in the world, the airlines or cruise ships will tell you it is recommended for 6 months, because it's just too confusing to tell you the rules for every single country.

The Caribbean nations are different, and they don't check passports. So you need the passport to get back into the USA. The passport is your ID for the USA to prove you live here, and so you, as a citizen will not need 6 months on it. Now another nationality might need it.

Passport is 10 years from the date they process it.

The six month rule is because many countries do not allow you to stay over 6 months. I have friends that have parents that stay for 5 1/2 months at a time during the cold months of their country. That is because at 6 months, they overstayed their welcome in the USA. There are countries with less time permitted, such as 60 days. So to be save, any time you travel, any where in the world, the airlines or cruise ships will tell you it is recommended for 6 months, because it's just too confusing to tell you the rules for every single country.

The Caribbean nations are different, and they don't check passports. So you need the passport to get back into the USA. The passport is your ID for the USA to prove you live here, and so you, as a citizen will not need 6 months on it. Now another nationality might need it.

Thanks so much!

This is only in relation to cruising, flying into a Caribbean destination is different island to island

I fly to the Caribbean a lot. They definitely DO check your passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/

U.S. territories are not foreign countries, therefore you would not always need to have your passport to enter Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, or the North Mariana Islands. However, new ID regulations mean that, depending on which state issued your driver's license or state ID, you may be required to show a passport to fly domestically. This is due to the REAL ID Act, which instituted requirements for the information displayed on IDs used for air travel. Some state-issued IDs do not comply with these regulations, so travelers from these states would be required to present a U.S. passport at airport security.

It is in your best interest to get a passport if you can.You might not have an issue boarding the ship with out one but you won't be able to fly home if there's an emergency and your travel plans have to be cut short.

As far as the 6 month expiration rule you should check the official passport site as well as your airline requirements for boarding the plane, some airlines require that your passport have an expiration date valid 6 months after you return. You just might find your self stuck at customs on your return to the US.

I fly to the Caribbean a lot. They definitely DO check your passport.

Yes, as was already pointed out, when FLYING to the Caribbean you will need a passport. Cruising to the Caribbean doesn't require one.

Just realize that your passport is only good for 6 mo. less than it states.

A blanket statement like that is misleading to say the least.

• A passport can be used as ID in many situations, and as long as it hasn't expired it won't matter how many months are left on it.
  • You can use it to re-enter the US up until the day it expires.
  • Some countries may require less than 6 months of validity for entry.

I'm assuming that the OP is in the US?

For UK travellers, if you renew your passport before it expires, the unexpired time is added onto your new passport and not lost.

This is very useful, as it means we can renew our passports at a convenient time of year, either when there is a quick turnaround at the passport office, or when we are not planning to travel for a while.

1: No 6 month rule on RC Caribbean cruises.

2: You would lose the 6 months.

Bob, we are on Freedom in December for a Southern Caribbean cruise. My son's passport expires in February 2019. At you saying I do NOT need to renew his passport prior to this cruise?

Thanks.

Bob, we are on Freedom in December for a Southern Caribbean cruise. My son's passport expires in February 2019. At you saying I do NOT need to renew his passport prior to this cruise?

Thanks.

Correct. The passport rules for cruising to a different country for a day stop are different than the passport rules for flying to (or ending a cruise in) a different country.

Can anyone confirm whether they check passports when cruising to Nassau? I have a European passport that's valid for less than 6 months, and didn't really get a conclusive answer from Bahamas' consulate whether it's ok for cruising :)

Can anyone confirm whether they check passports when cruising to Nassau? I have a European passport that's valid for less than 6 months, and didn't really get a conclusive answer from Bahamas' consulate whether it's ok for cruising :)

In the US, when you check in for your cruise they WILL check your passport (or BC/ID for US citizens). For a non-US citizen you have two concerns: 1. What are the rules for passports from your country entering the Bahamas? 2. What are the rules for you to enter the US at the end of the cruise?

You won't see any immigration folks in Nassau - the ship takes care of that. But you WILL process through US Immigration at the end of your cruise. European citizens need an ESTA good for up to 90 days to get into the US.

The CBP.gov web site says that your passport needs to be valid for 6 months to enter the US, so if yours isn't you might have problems getting back into the US at the end of the cruise.

In the US, when you check in for your cruise they WILL check your passport (or BC/ID for US citizens). For a non-US citizen you have two concerns: 1. What are the rules for passports from your country entering the Bahamas? 2. What are the rules for you to enter the US at the end of the cruise?

You won't see any immigration folks in Nassau - the ship takes care of that. But you WILL process through US Immigration at the end of your cruise. European citizens need an ESTA good for up to 90 days to get into the US.

The CBP.gov web site says that your passport needs to be valid for 6 months to enter the US, so if yours isn't you might have problems getting back into the US at the end of the cruise.

Thanks. My country is part of so-called "six-month club", so for entering US my passport just needs to be valid for the duration of the trip, not valid 6 month after my trip. More information can be found here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/905/~/technical-requirements-for-passports-%28machine-readable%29

It seems that Nassau might actually require a passport that is valid at least 6 months for me.. Does anyone know if it's ok to just board the ship, but just not enter Nassau? Or will they check validity when I check-in, and they could deny boarding alltogether?

It seems that Nassau might actually require a passport that is valid at least 6 months for me.. Does anyone know if it's ok to just board the ship, but just not enter Nassau? Or will they check validity when I check-in, and they could deny boarding alltogether?

Where are you seeing this info? Are you sure this applies to a cruise ship stop, where you are technically "In-transit" and not entering the country?

Where are you seeing this info? Are you sure this applies to a cruise ship stop, where you are technically "In-transit" and not entering the country?

I got it from here: https://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements. And I'm a non-us citizen so not sure if the closed loop cruise thing applies in my case. The page says " If you are departing The Bahamas for a country that has the passport validity requirement of six (6) months beyond the dates of departure, then that requirement will be enforced." In my case this 6-month requirement shouldn't apply though...

Just don't want to be denied boarding :D:D:) These passport things can be frustratingly complex... I'm trying to send Royal Caribbean an e-mail and get a definitive answer in writing, just wondered if anybody in here would have been in a similar situation or knows the answer.