AMEX Offer: Spend $500 on Carnival, get $100 statement credit

gtalum

Update...still haven't seen the $100 show up on my account online. Did live AMEX chat, since the offer expires on May 31 and figure it's best to get it resolved now. The customer service rep said everything looks to be in order - offer loaded to card and I spent the $500 on a HAL cruise. He said the $100 will post in 7-10 days. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Roz

Joe,

It definitely shows Holland America in Seattle on the AMEX statement. The statement I got from my TA showing the $500 payment is on HAL letterhead, so it's not a case of the funds being paid to the TA and then they transfer the money to the cruise line. I won't use a TA that does that, unless it's a special group or charter sailing.

Roz

This happened to me on one of my $500 charges. It turned out that I thought I made one $500 charge through a Carnival rep on the phone but they somehow put it through as $200, $200, and $100 so I never got the email right after the charges went through and it took until the charges hit a statement for the credit to post. I’ve used the offer 5 other times where I made the $500 charge on line myself and got the immediate email.

This happened to me on one of my $500 charges. It turned out that I thought I made one $500 charge through a Carnival rep on the phone but they somehow put it through as $200, $200, and $100 so I never got the email right after the charges went through and it took until the charges hit a statement for the credit to post. I’ve used the offer 5 other times where I made the $500 charge on line myself and got the immediate email.

My account is definitely showing a one-time charge to HAL, but I'm wondering since my TA did it for me, if that's the reason for the delay.

Roz

My account is definitely showing a one-time charge to HAL, but I'm wondering since my TA did it for me, if that's the reason for the delay.

Roz

I have done this previously through a TA without a delay.

I only have $470 left to pay on my cruise. Final payment date is 5/31. Fares are $150+ more expensive than my current rate, and travel insurance would be $130. Does anybody have an ideas to get the amount left over $500 so I can get the credit? (edit) Without adding more than $100 in cost.

I only have $470 left to pay on my cruise. Final payment date is 5/31. Fares are $150+ more expensive than my current rate, and travel insurance would be $130. Does anybody have an ideas to get the amount left over $500 so I can get the credit? (edit) Without adding more than $100 in cost.

Did you prepay gratuities already?

Assuming it isn’t your deposit, ask them to refund $40 back to your card so your balance is a little over $500 and then settle the remaining balance on the card with the offer.

Assuming it isn’t your deposit, ask them to refund $40 back to your card so your balance is a little over $500 and then settle the remaining balance on the card with the offer.

This worked. Thank you for the suggestion.

Can it work on something like excursions, or pre-paying Cheers?

We have never tried that but others here have reported that no, those types of purchases would not qualify as the charge would not come through to Amex as "Carnival Cruise Lines Reservation".

Edited by joepeka

Thanks for the thread and link! I just booked a cruise and put down a deposit. I will use my card and then my husbands and get $200 OBC! That helps!![/quote

You do not get OBC; what you get is a credit on your credit card.

Wish I can take advantage of this deal. I have it on both my husband's and my Amex. We will cruise again just not certain of when. If I book something and have to change the date it would be all of the savings we got with this deal (family of 4). Does anyone know how often they have run this special?

Wish I can take advantage of this deal. I have it on both my husband's and my Amex. We will cruise again just not certain of when. If I book something and have to change the date it would be all of the savings we got with this deal (family of 4). Does anyone know how often they have run this special?

Don’t book a rate tied to Early Saver like Past Guest and move your booking around as needed. No fees that way.

I have four cruises booked, and I paid $500 yesterday towards our October Cruise, and I got the confirmation from American Express with in a few minutes. I used last April also. Great money saver for me. Thanks for the heads up, the offer didn't show up in my email offers, but with the link I was able to add the offer to my card. I always buy the discounted gift cards, but 20% is better then the 10% off I get with the gift cards!