What to wear around ship in the evenings?

OCSC Mike

This may be a silly question (I know, there are no stupid questions) but it occurred to me that all the clothing discussions tend to deal with being out and about or revolve around packing layers.

So let's fast forward to say 5:00pm in late June, I'm done with any planned activities other than hitting up the Diamond Lounge (loyalty lounge if you're not familiar with RCI) for drinks and snacks, going to the WJ (the buffet) for dinner b/c we don't do the MDR anymore, and then a show in the theater. What do I wear? I'll mostly be inside but could always cross the ship on the pool deck or simply go outside for the view and fresh air. Basically, I'm wondering how people generally dress so they're not too hot inside but not freezing if they step out on deck.

I'm used to the Caribbean in the summer where pants and short sleeves make things very simple at night. TIA.

We just wear whatever we wore to dinner. I always have some sort of wrap with me.

Same here, and I pack based on dress codes as well as weather forecasts for the week - we've gone in Sept and are going again in Sept this year. I don't wear linen but I'm not wearing wool either. I tend to wear clothing on the ship for ~70degrees (F) - dress or pants & shirt with cardigan. Husband is often cooler than I am (esp indoors on cruise ships) and always carries a fleece or his sports coat with him for warmth.

If the weather outside is particularly wet or cool, I'll dress for it (because, of course, I've packed options, right? ;-) But not too many as I'm a light packer ;-)

Thanks for the responses. I guess my issue is I would normally wear pants and short sleeves at night (that's how I dress when it's 70, although I could easily be wearing shorts at home depending on what I'm doing). I don't normally put on long sleeves, let alone any type of sweater/fleece unless it's much cooler. I'm sure I'd be comfortable in all the indoor venues but if it's 55 and breezy on deck I'd be cold. Sounds like you guys are saying the layering applies to on board too, which makes sense. I guess I was trying to avoid carrying around something warm to throw on over my normal indoor ship wear.

Dress code doesn't affect us much since we're casual people and don't eat in the MDR. I don't even own a sport coat. I'm 40 but dress and act younger, same with my wife. We like to look presentable for the Diamond Lounge, I wouldn't wear shorts or a t-shirt there, but I've had many people assure me that it's more casual in Alaska so jeans and any nice looking shirt are fine. I'll figure it out. Not actually worried, just too much free time to think about the trip so I started this thread. :)

At least on a cruise ship, if you're cold (or even warm, for that matter), you can just go back to your room and get something else to wear/not wear! I'm expecting it to be fairly cool on deck in the evenings in Alaska, but since I'm probably not going to be out there a lot, I'm probably not going to worry about being a little cold for a while. However, I'm planning on a few very warm things for those times when I'm on the deck for more than a few minutes - for example, during sailaway, when looking for lighthouses, cruising through Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier, etc. For my late May cruise I'm planning to take clothing for maybe 55-60 degree maybe slightly rainy days and some nicer things for dinner but probably only one sleeveless thing (favorite dress). I always take a lightweight black sweater in case the air conditioning on the ship is a bit too cool for my taste.

Thanks for the responses. I guess my issue is I would normally wear pants and short sleeves at night (that's how I dress when it's 70, although I could easily be wearing shorts at home depending on what I'm doing). I don't normally put on long sleeves, let alone any type of sweater/fleece unless it's much cooler. I'm sure I'd be comfortable in all the indoor venues but if it's 55 and breezy on deck I'd be cold. Sounds like you guys are saying the layering applies to on board too, which makes sense. I guess I was trying to avoid carrying around something warm to throw on over my normal indoor ship wear.

Dress code doesn't affect us much since we're casual people and don't eat in the MDR. I don't even own a sport coat. I'm 40 but dress and act younger, same with my wife. We like to look presentable for the Diamond Lounge, I wouldn't wear shorts or a t-shirt there, but I've had many people assure me that it's more casual in Alaska so jeans and any nice looking shirt are fine. I'll figure it out. Not actually worried, just too much free time to think about the trip so I started this thread. :)

I get the impression responders to your question think you are asking about clothing where it concerns temp and weather rather than casual vs. dressier- Alaska is way more casual then a caribbean cruise and you are fine in super casual even Diamond Lounge- ladies leggings and tunic or even some dressier jeans and nice top is fine, man, anything pretty much other than shorts etc. Khakis good, polo shirt or collared shirt is fine.

I get the impression responders to your question think you are asking about clothing where it concerns temp and weather rather than casual vs. dressier- Alaska is way more casual then a caribbean cruise and you are fine in super casual even Diamond Lounge- ladies leggings and tunic or even some dressier jeans and nice top is fine, man, anything pretty much other than shorts etc. Khakis good, polo shirt or collared shirt is fine.

I've actually asked about both in different threads so any answer is helpful. :)

Thanks for specifically addressing the DL though. I wear khakis/polo or collared shirt in the DL in the Caribbean but was hoping to just go with jeans in Alaska since we're spending 10 days on land pre-cruise and I'd rather not bring clothes JUST for the DL. DW was planning to wear exactly what you said, either leggings or nice jeans with a nice but not super dressy top. From all the responses I've gotten, I think we'll be fine.

I've actually asked about both in different threads so any answer is helpful. :)

Thanks for specifically addressing the DL though. I wear khakis/polo or collared shirt in the DL in the Caribbean but was hoping to just go with jeans in Alaska since we're spending 10 days on land pre-cruise and I'd rather not bring clothes JUST for the DL. DW was planning to wear exactly what you said, either leggings or nice jeans with a nice but not super dressy top. From all the responses I've gotten, I think we'll be fine.

You will be just fine in your jeans in the DL ... we always are.

This may be a silly question (I know, there are no stupid questions) but it occurred to me that all the clothing discussions tend to deal with being out and about or revolve around packing layers.

So let's fast forward to say 5:00pm in late June, I'm done with any planned activities other than hitting up the Diamond Lounge (loyalty lounge if you're not familiar with RCI) for drinks and snacks, going to the WJ (the buffet) for dinner b/c we don't do the MDR anymore, and then a show in the theater. What do I wear? I'll mostly be inside but could always cross the ship on the pool deck or simply go outside for the view and fresh air. Basically, I'm wondering how people generally dress so they're not too hot inside but not freezing if they step out on deck.

I'm used to the Caribbean in the summer where pants and short sleeves make things very simple at night. TIA.

We were on an Alaska cruise in the month of May . I took a sweater to wear after dinner.