Black tie?

MAM69

Hi, I've been on a few cruises but not with NCL before and have been told it's very relaxed. Do they have specific dress up nights and black tie? We are on The Gem. Need to know for packing. Thanks.

Edited by MAM69

Hi, I've been on a few cruises but not with NCL before and have been told it's very relaxed. Do they have specific dress up nights and black tie? Need to know for packing. Thanks.
No, absolutely not.

Restaurants on NCL are either "smart casual" or "cruise casual". A tie isn't needed nor is a jacket...

The dailies will give the specifics for each ship (which may differ from what is posted online) but most restaurants are cruise casual.

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

They have something called Dress up or Not Night -- usually there are lots of photographers available in the atrium or other public venue for taking portraits of those who want them taken. There will be people done up to the nines, and others in shorts and t-shirts. Feel free to wear whatever makes you happy!

They have something called Dress up or Not Night -- usually there are lots of photographers available in the atrium or other public venue for taking portraits of those who want them taken. There will be people done up to the nines, and others in shorts and t-shirts. Feel free to wear whatever makes you happy!

I have seen a few men wear suits and a few more wear sport coats for the photographer. I have never seen any man on NCL in black tie.

There is normally a dress up or not night on every cruise and you will see people dress in almost any attire you can name.

Dad and I are t shirt and jeans kind of guys. It is all we wear and we have never been turned away from any dining on NCL , free or specialty.

Hi, I've been on a few cruises but not with NCL before and have been told it's very relaxed. Do they have specific dress up nights and black tie? We are on The Gem. Need to know for packing. Thanks.

Blue jeans would be more appropriate than black tie on NCL. If you dress country club casual you will be fine, if not over dressed.

This is great info...... wear whatever you want that will make your cruise special..... black tie, no tie, bow tie, magenta tie.....

This is great info...... wear whatever you want that will make your cruise special..... black tie, no tie, bow tie, magenta tie.....

Absolutely right Scott. I have seen more than a few people dressed in black tie and ball gowns. They looked fantastic for their special occasions and they got tons of compliments for their attire. NCL Freestyle!

That's right! One cruise we were celebrating my nephew's HS grad and 18th birthday, my mom was with us.

We wanted to dress up and dine in Le Bistro. It was great! I packed a cocktail dress and the Louboutons in my carry on. I did not care what the other pax were wearing, but the three of us had a blast dressed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shorts are permitted in all dining rooms all nights. The exception is the Le Bistro French specialty dining room and one other restaurant (depending on ship). Black ties are pretty much extinct on NCL.

There are no mandatory dress up nights on any NCI ship .

The last cruise we took on ncl there was a woman wearing a sequin jumpsuit one night. She looked fantastic and everyone was complimenting her. It’s definitely acceptable to wear whatever you want on ncl and feel comfortable.

Although, there was a ton of people that dressed up in all white on the night of the glow party so you might bring something for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. This is really helpful especially for my trendy 16 year old. This cruise marks the end of senior school for him before starting college so I don't want to waste a lot of money on clothes that he won't wear in the near future. Thank you!