Anytime Dining

ColSavLan

We have never done Anytime Dining before. We are currently signed up for Late Dining, and we are waitlisted for Early Dining which is what we want, mainly because I think it is better for my son to be able to attend Circle C activities starting back around 8. For Anytime Dining: Is the dining room just as nice? Is the service just as good? I assume the food is the same. I know the advantage is being able to pick your own time with everything else going on, but what are the disadvantages? For those of you who have done Anytime Dining did you like it and for those who have done both, which did you like best? One reason I like a set time is that with 3 teens, it gives a set time that everyone has to be ready to meet up, but I do see advantages to Anytime Dining also.

We have anywhere from no wait to over an hour wait for the three of us.

There are limited tables for parties larger than four. I’d stick with assigned dining. If your time is too late for the club, you could always eat early together at the buffet, then whoever wants to, eat later in the MDR.

Service and menu are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the dining room just as nice?

It's the same dining room as Early and Late seating

Is the service just as good?

I have had excellent service regardless if I do regular dining or your time dining

I assume the food is the same. I know the advantage is being able to pick your own time with everything else going on, but what are the disadvantages?

The food is the same - The only disadvantages I can think of is 1. you could possibly end up having to wait a little bit depending on when you arrive and 2. you could end up with different wait staff but if you like who you have the first night you can ask to be seated with them again so far we have not had a problem keeping our wait staff when we asked for it

For those of you who have done Anytime Dining did you like it and for those who have done both, which did you like best?

I prefer Anytime dining simply because I like to not be rushed to dinner at exactly 6 pm if i don't want to

One reason I like a set time is that with 3 teens, it gives a set time that everyone has to be ready to meet up, but I do see advantages to Anytime Dining also.

That is certainly a good reason but what happens when one of the teens is late - That is a good reason to have anytime dining - you can still tell your kids hey meet back up at the cabin around 530 to get ready for dinner but still have the option of knowing if one of them is running behind you don't have to rush to dinner

We like Anytime Dining. We typically stop by the entrance to the dining room well in advance of dinner time to see what's on the menu. If we're not interested, we opt for the buffet. Not having an assigned dining time allows us the flexibility of making that choice. We don't have to let tablemates or the wait staff know what our plans are. Typically, we go to the MDR around 5:45 - 6:00, and are able to get seated right away. I've noticed that the line to get in starts to get long between 6:00 - 6:15. Whether you have Early Seating, Late Seating or ATD, the menu is the same. If you choose ATD and have a waiter you like, you can request that waiter's area each evening. It may not always be the same table, but you will have the same waiter.

Just returned from 10 day on Horizon. We never had to wait for a table, and always had excellent service. We went most nights between 6:30-7:30. I would do anytime dining again.

We have never done Anytime Dining before. We are currently signed up for Late Dining, and we are waitlisted for Early Dining which is what we want, mainly because I think it is better for my son to be able to attend Circle C activities starting back around 8. For Anytime Dining: Is the dining room just as nice? Is the service just as good? I assume the food is the same. I know the advantage is being able to pick your own time with everything else going on, but what are the disadvantages? For those of you who have done Anytime Dining did you like it and for those who have done both, which did you like best? One reason I like a set time is that with 3 teens, it gives a set time that everyone has to be ready to meet up, but I do see advantages to Anytime Dining also.

We were dedicated late dining but decided to try ATD a few cruises ago and really like it. The ATD is part of the main dining room, usually the upper level. You will receive the same service at all 3 sittings. Same food. If you like the wait service you can ask each night to be seated in their area. The one draw back is you might encur a wait with a large group, or if you go at a busy time. We find 7pm works for us.

Just returned from 10 day on Horizon. We never had to wait for a table, and always had excellent service. We went most nights between 6:30-7:30. I would do anytime dining again.

I much prefer anytime dining as I never know when exactly I will be hungry.

Having said that, my wife and are notorious for eating in the steak house multiple nights on a cruise. I make 730 reservations and we never fail to show, even if all we have is dessert or appetizers cause we hit the MDR. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only downside is if you come at a very popular time, there could be a short wait, but they give you a pager.

With the set time you don't have a wait, but give up the flexible time.

Could you tell me what "a very popular time" is? (I'm thinking of trying YTD next cruise.)

Thanks in advance!

Love Your Time Dining. We usually eat early, usually there just before 6 and have never had to wait for a table. On the Dream last year we found a wait team we adored on the second night and asked for them every night after. By the second time with them they already knew our names. I would recommend Your Time Dining to anyone!

...For Anytime Dining: Is the dining room just as nice? Pretty much. I have been on both Dream and Breeze. The aft dining room is used more for set-time, and midship for YTD. I do YTD, but attended tea and brunch in the aft dining room. For the most part, they are comparable. The only difference is more windows and slightly better "outside" views in the aft dining room during the set time.

Is the service just as good? I assume the food is the same. Yes and yes. Service is the same, may be less "structured" during YTD, but that also gives flexibility, maybe go for just early apps and when eating at the steakhouse three or four hours later. :halo:The wait staff is just as attentive. :)The food is definitely the same, and I could be incorrect, but I believe the galley below in between the two rooms services both dining rooms.

I know the advantage is being able to pick your own time with everything else going on, but what are the disadvantages? I have only ever done YTD, so I cannot compare the two completely, but there are folks who swear by set time, getting the same staff every night (though you can still request), and never having to wait, etc. I have never waited longer that 15 minutes in 6 cruises though.

For those of you who have done Anytime Dining did you like it and for those who have done both, which did you like best? I have only done YTD, so I cannot truly compare.

Answered in blue inside the quotes. For our upcoming cruise we were confirmed for late dining, and wait-listed for YTD. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the YTD finally got confirmed. For me, I like the flexibility for shows or other activities, not having to worry about table mates being no shows and inconveniencing us, not having to worry about us being no-shows and inconveniencing others, not worrying about who our table mates are. We use the dining as a chance to spend time with each other, and always get a table for two. :cool:

Though we have never actually waited in line longer than 15 minutes, on two or three occasions we have seen the line at a prime time, and went to do something else for an hour before coming back to no line at all. I might grab something tiny at the buffet to tide me over, but that is the worst of it.

On my last cruise, my daughter and I had to wait 20 minutes for a table for 2 on one night after 8pm—not “prime time”. Another night we were told that the wait for a table for 2 at 8pm would be 45 minutes so we (unhappily) went to the buffet.

I will not do ATD on Carnival again.

On my last cruise, my daughter and I had to wait 20 minutes for a table for 2 on one night after 8pm—not “prime time”. Another night we were told that the wait for a table for 2 at 8pm would be 45 minutes so we (unhappily) went to the buffet.

I will not do ATD on Carnival again.

Wow, what ship was that?

We had YTD on the Magic recently and the dinning room is similar type (more formal sit down) as the set times MDR. We are not late meal type of people and like that the YTD opened at 5:45, which was a bit earlier than early dinning times.

We never waited for a table (3 of us) and had the same table each night (requested), a very nice 4 top next to the window, beautiful, spacious spot. Our wait staff were top notch and we were finished by 7:00 typically, which left of us plenty of options for shows, photos, changing before shows or whatever we wanted to do that night.

We will always choose YTD as it was a perfect fit for our family and more like a restaurant atmosphere where people are coming in at different times and not a crowd all at once, staff was much more attentive in that environment.

Is it possible to request a certain table on YTD?

Such as the tables for 2 on the upper deck of the new Horizon along the rail overlooking the lower deck?

We always tend to go early.

Is it possible to request a certain table on YTD?

Such as the tables for 2 on the upper deck of the new Horizon along the rail overlooking the lower deck?

We always tend to go early.

Yes. We always request a table for two, and have always gotten one. As far as specific tables or locations, nothing is guaranteed, but it never hurts to ask. It is fairly common for people to request specific waitstaff.

If you're planning to eat EARLY for your child's evening activities, you really shouldn't have much of a wait. The "popular" time is 7pm or thereabouts. Earlier, and you're good.

That's what I was going to say. If you go at opening time, which is usually even a bit earlier than early set dining, you get a table right away. On Conquest, Splendor, and Ecstasy, going about 6, I never had to wait.

I prefer late dining when my wife and I cruise without the kids. When we have the kids with us anytime dining works better for us. I have heard people say they request the same waitress or waiter. We have just rolled the dice and gotten new ones each night. It has worked out fine for us.

Any time dining is one of the necessities for us to book a cruise, if we can't get it at booking, we don't book the cruise!

Our longest wait, and we are Platinum, was 15 minutes. That's because we came at a busy time, a little earlier or later and our wait would be zero!

Yes. We always request a table for two, and have always gotten one. As far as specific tables or locations, nothing is guaranteed, but it never hurts to ask. It is fairly common for people to request specific waitstaff.

Thanks, I will ask, maybe we'll get lucky as far as location.

We just returned from our last cruise on Sunday it was our first cruise with your time dining because my husband likes early but I wanted to give it a try and we both LOVED anytime dining. We had 2 late ports and we still could eat in the dining room with no problem and never any rushing to get there at a certain time. We never had to wait to be seated and we went at different times. Same dining room just one floor was for anytime dining. So no more set dining times for us.

YTD menu/experience is the same as set dining. Be aware that you are assigned to a specific level of a specific dining room, so you can't decide to eat upstairs or downstairs. Our assignment has always been the midship dining room lower level. The longest we ever had to wait was 30 minutes on elegant night for a party of 6. We were given a pager & grabbed a cocktail at the lobby bar & relaxed until we were called. No big deal. We have requested to be seated with the same wait team in the past. If there will be a wait for that team, they will tell you so you can choose to eat right away with a different team or you can wait.

The reason I like YTD is because I have found that after a long day in port, I am not always ready to eat promptly at 6pm. Or maybe I'm too exhausted to go get dressed up & would rather just run to Guy's, the buffet or the pizza place for dinner. If I have set dining, I feel I should let the staff know I will not be there. The reason for that is because we have been made to wait up to 15 minutes to order because they are waiting for the other couple at our table to show up.