Montreal ... again!

jlnprt

I've read the "departures" and "ports of calls" boards to help prepare for our upcoming Montreal to Boston cruise. There is not a huge amount of information there, but it sounds like the best location to stay pre-cruise (we're flying in two days early) is Old Montreal. For those of you who are familiar with the city, do you have any particular hotel recommendations? Many thanks!

As someone who was born and raised in Montreal, there are many great neighbourhoods and hotel options for you. It depends on how long before your cruise you will be in town, and what interests you.

Old Montreal is certainly great, and there are various boutique hotels there (Hotel Nelson amongst them) that you can research on Tripadvisor, etc. Walking in the old city or, better, taking a guided tour of the old churches, would be a day well spent. It is also close to the port.

Yet downtown Montreal, Peel Street, Sherbrooke Street, Mountain, etc., also has allure. Sherbrooke Street from Guy walking east is a beautiful stroll, past many art galleries, boutiques, restaurants, etc. There is also excellent shopping at local stores Holt Renfrew (Sherbrooke/Mountain) and Ogilvy-Holts (Mountain and Ste. Catherine streets).

Also walking on McGill University campus off Sherbrooke is a pleasure--one of the nicest campuses, yet right in the city. Many historic buildings there too. A guided tour, or the hop on/hop off, assuming Montreal has that, would again help situate you. There is much to see and do. While further from the port, a cab arranged with the hotel doorman will get you there.

Two hotels that I use when we return to visit family (we prefer our own space at a hotel albeit are with our family during the day) are, first, the Omni Mount Royal, centrally located at Sherbrooke and Peel. It has lovely rooms with a mountain view (ask for that), beautiful small suites, and a very good kitchen. The hotel infrastructure is dated, however...in "shoulder" season the a/c is not really on, and the rooms can be a tad warm. Still, we find it overall quite acceptable.

The Loews Vogue is also a very nice hotel, well located on Mountain Street. We have enjoyed our stays there. The Ritz recently re-opened and, while expensive for us, for those using the "greenback", remember, you get about a 20-25% discount given the currency exchange (ensure you obtain Canadian currency before you leave home, and inquire about the conversion rate on your credit card). Not only useful for hotels but for shopping! The clothing stores and boutiques in Montreal offer interesting choices (both men's wear and ladies wear) so leave room in your suitcase.

If you Google Montreal you will no doubt find much information, and the city does have an official website that may help too. Enjoy your pre-cruise stay in beautiful Montreal. Do let us know how you enjoyed it.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. It was a nice hotel, with free breakfast, and IIRC reasonably priced.

We have stayed here also and enjoyed it. Great location as well. Very nice staff.

Keep an eye on where the Maasdam and/or Veendam docks in Montreal. If the river is too high they will dock east of the Cartier bridge near container docks. The newly refurbished Quay near Old Montreal is normally the dock for the best departure or turn around if they can negotiate bridge.

Whenever we visit Montreal, we stay at Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth - it is everything an hotel should be. The one time we were unable to get reservations at FTQE (due to an extensive renovation/refurbishment a couple of years ago), we stayed at InterContinental Montreal and found it to be an adequate (one-time) substitute for FTQE.

We love the Auberge du Vieux Port. We have also stayed in the Intercontinental, Queen Elizabeth, Marriott Chateau Champlain, and Le Centre Sheraton and all are nice, but in our opinion the Auberge du Vieux Port wins on location and ambiance.

Montréal is such a vibrant city you really can’t make a wrong choice, it just depends upon your priorities. Proximity it port then Old Montréal is the location; shopping and art galleries then ON Cruiser had perfect selections; for the happy medium then the Queen E, Intercontinental, Bonneventure, and the others people have mentioned are all good. I grew up in the city so I am biased but Montréal, being over 350 years old, is very walkable and the Metro will get you everywhere else. But, as mentioned above, if the St. Lawrence is running high then the port is not accessible due to the Jacques Cartier bridge and the ship will dock at the container port in the east end of the city.

Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel is my choice because it is well located, connected to the underground walkway system, and close to an excellent steakhouse, Keg Steakhouse.

A word of advice: prior to your trip, study a map of the Montreal area and the likely location of your ship's dock. Leaving The Queen Elizabeth, the taxi driver spoke French, little English, as I discovered. The hotel's Doorman gave him instructions, in French, as to where he was to go. I was geographically aware enough that I knew the driver had missed where he needed to go toward the dock . I ended up having to give him directions in order to get to where the Maasdam was docked. My French is extremely limited and his English was the same. It was another one of those "interesting" travel adventures that one encounters from time to time.

Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel is my choice because it is well located, connected to the underground walkway system, and close to an excellent steakhouse, Keg Steakhouse.

A word of advice: prior to your trip, study a map of the Montreal area and the likely location of your ship's dock. Leaving The Queen Elizabeth, the taxi driver spoke French, little English, as I discovered. The hotel's Doorman gave him instructions, in French, as to where he was to go. I was geographically aware enough that I knew the driver had missed where he needed to go toward the dock . I ended up having to give him directions in order to get to where the Maasdam was docked. My French is extremely limited and his English was the same. It was another one of those "interesting" travel adventures that one encounters from time to time.

He must have been the only cab driver in Montreal who doesn't have a cell phone and a mapping app with turn-by-turn directions.

Not sure why you want the underground city in the summer unless it is raining-hard. It is generic and bland. Montréal is so vibrant. So much to see at street level.

With all the excellent gourmet restaurants of all varieties to satisfy every taste, I wouldn’t go for a chain steakhouse personally. Ask your concierge for a recommendation and to make a reservation. You won’t be sorry. We had an excellent (perhaps the best we had ever eaten) Japanese meal about 2 blocks from the Queen Elizabeth that we would have walked right by if we had not talked to the concierge.

Google maps is your friend. Maps are legible in every language.

I noticed the same thing on my last trip to Montreal. Taxi could not find the ship, even though we were in Old Montreal! It was only about one mile. Also, same issue from airport to hotel (Springhill Suites). AND friends of ours had similar problems with French speaking only taxis.

Another vote for Auberge Du Vieux Port . We’ve stayed twice and loved it. So many wonderful restaurants and shops just steps away. We stayed downtown before we decided THIS was our favorite. Montréal is a great city. You really can’t go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why you want the underground city in the summer unless it is raining-hard. It is generic and bland. Montréal is so vibrant. So much to see at street level.

With all the excellent gourmet restaurants of all varieties to satisfy every taste, I wouldn’t go for a chain steakhouse personally. Ask your concierge for a recommendation and to make a reservation. You won’t be sorry. We had an excellent (perhaps the best we had ever eaten) Japanese meal about 2 blocks from the Queen Elizabeth that we would have walked right by if we had not talked to the concierge.

Google maps is your friend. Maps are legible in every language.

Thank you for posting your opinion.

My Maasdam cruise was her re-positioning voyage to Fort Lauderdale. The weather was cool and rainy. Did I totally rely on the underground city? No. But, I did find it to be interesting. What I saw above ground in Montreal during my second visit encourages me to try for a third visit.

The evening I decided to dine at Keg Steakhouse was a stormy evening. Even with an umbrella, arriving at the restaurant, I was damp. I was pleased with all aspects of my dinner and plan to become a customer of them again when I am next in Canada where their restaurants are located.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. It's nice to know that there are a variety of suitable hotels/shopping/sightseeing/restaurants that will suit just about everyone! I'm looking forward to exploring a new city.