Serenade of the Seas questions - new to RCL

Hello,

I've always traveled on NCL, but I'm doing to NE/Canada cruise in October on the Serenade of the Seas out of Boston.

Do we have to book dining and shows ahead online?

Looking for any other helpful information, as well, best tours, best restaurants, etc.

TY

:cool:

We sailed her to Alaska and that class of ship is beautiful with so much glass around you. There is a bank of elevators all glass.....it's a great ship for sailing places with wonderful outside viewing.

We just completed a TA on Seranade a few weeks ago and I loved that cruise. WJ breakfasts were very good and there is an outdoor seating area behind WJ that we love.

Crew was very friendly with excellent service.

Sherri:)

• 3 months later...
Can you bring any drinks on board? Soda, water, beer?

All beverages except for two 750ml bottles of wine per stateroom are technically prohibited.

However, they usually allow soda and water.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, You do not have to book reservations in any of the pay (up charge) restaurants in advance, that being said if it's full you may have a long wait or be out of luck? So................. it only takes a few minutes to book on line in advance at RCCL.COM, login in with your confirmation number and look up "reservations". Also the main dinning room is located AFT or Stern on decks 6 and 7 one of the complimentary restaurants which serves dinner at 3 different times, I believe Refection's seats at 5:30,7:30 and 9:30. You can also reserve your seats at a table for 2,4,or 8. This table is generally your table for the duration of the cruise for that time slot and table location. Also you can select your table size, sometimes the location............maybe near a window:)...........but that has to be done at the dinning room check in station at the restaurant entrance for any changes that were done prior to the cruise.

Hope this helps we are also leaving in October three weeks from now out of Boston to Bermuda:) If you have any other questions shoot them out I maybe able to help you? Bon voyage:)

Oh........One other thing you may find helpful....... unlike NCL the Royal Caribbean cruise line has a VERY FORMAL DINNING EXPERIENCE. Yes evening gowns, full suits, and tuxedos are not out of the norm. The first night they are a little relaxed because of the luggage situation and the muster drill etc etc etc. I always dress smart casual for boarding and that's usually good enough to enter the first night:)

Oh........One other thing you may find helpful....... unlike NCL the Royal Caribbean cruise line has a VERY FORMAL DINNING EXPERIENCE.

There have been other posts that disagree with this. I'd like to have authoritative information, because if it's true, I should cancel my RCI booking while I still can.

There have been other posts that disagree with this. I'd like to have authoritative information, because if it's true, I should cancel my RCI booking while I still can.

While Royal does have dress suggestions for formal night, they are not enforced, and therefore you will see the full range of attire. Anything you wear will be fine.

We booked three window-view cabins on Serenade of the Seas for the NE/Canada cruise this past July. Great crew, nice ship... my only complaint was our one window-view stateroom nearest the bow had very small windows while those of the rest of our party (for the same price and located only 2 cabins away towards midship) boasted big rectangular windows.

Oh yes...In addition to the allotted bottles of wine, I brought a 64 oz. bottle of cranberry juice onboard with no problem whatever.

Oh........One other thing you may find helpful....... unlike NCL the Royal Caribbean cruise line has a VERY FORMAL DINNING EXPERIENCE. Yes evening gowns, full suits, and tuxedos are not out of the norm. The first night they are a little relaxed because of the luggage situation and the muster drill etc etc etc. I always dress smart casual for boarding and that's usually good enough to enter the first night:)

I really have to disagree.

If you see an evening gown or tuxedo on formal night it is absolutely out of the norm. You may still see it, but you'll more than likely see men in slacks, long sleeved shirts (with or w/o ties) and women in dresses or slacks with a nice top. You'll also see those dressed less formally than those I just mentioned.

No way would I categorize Royal Caribbean having a "very formal dining experience.":rolleyes:

I'm not sure on the 5 day or 14 day cruises, but on the 7 day cruises generally there are 3-4 random formal nights, meaning at will non-specific to any night. Generally not on the first night or on the first 2 port nights.... again generally. I'm sure every ship in the fleet plans accordingly with some latitude between them. Any other night is smart casual, slacks, dress shirt etc. as you mentioned perfectly fine. I know this for a fact because I was approached on a formal night and was require to wear a jacket and for my convenience they supplied me and others with them. They have a portable closet behind the facade at the entrance with many sizes, If you check the RCCL.com website it's clear on the dress code. Now whether people follow it or not and it's enforced? Read their site it clearly spells it out. Or just google it.............. it's in black and white.

I was approached on a formal night and was require to wear a jacket and for my convenience they supplied me and others with them.

The last time I saw this happen was in 1965. Bizarrely, it was in a hole-in-the-wall, greasy-spoon diner (in New York City, though). It is disconcerting to hear that RCI is in the same class as that kind of dump.

IIf you check the RCCL.com website it's clear on the dress code. Now whether people follow it or not and it's enforced? Read their site it clearly spells it out. Or just google it.............. it's in black and white.

(embedded on the RCI web site) states that "smart casual" means jackets and blazers. But the language about formal nights is weaselly: suits, tuxedos, "are all acceptable." I should think that they would be acceptable anywhere, except in the pools and hot tubs.

I'm not sure on the 5 day or 14 day cruises, but on the 7 day cruises generally there are 3-4 random formal nights, meaning at will non-specific to any night.

Four random nights out of seven? Or perhaps your memory is unreliable? It states clearly enough:

There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing

and

Formal nights:

• 3/4/5 night cruises - usually on Day 2
  • 6 night cruises - usually on day 2 and 5
  • 7 night cruises - are usually on Day 2 and 6
  • Oasis and Allure use Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries.

Anyway, I'm out. Cancelling in the morning. My air fare isn't refundable, but I can find something else to do in Europe.

The last time I saw this happen was in 1965. Bizarrely, it was in a hole-in-the-wall, greasy-spoon diner (in New York City, though). It is disconcerting to hear that RCI is in the same class as that kind of dump.

(embedded on the RCI web site) states that "smart casual" means jackets and blazers. But the language about formal nights is weaselly: suits, tuxedos, "are all acceptable." I should think that they would be acceptable anywhere, except in the pools and hot tubs.

Four random nights out of seven? Or perhaps your memory is unreliable? It states clearly enough:

and

Formal nights:

• Oasis and Allure use Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries.

Anyway, I'm out. Cancelling in the morning. My air fare isn't refundable, but I can find something else to do in Europe.

Agree, Sail multiple 10, 11 & 12 nites cruises each year and only 2 Formal Nites, When sailed 13nites in 2012-2015 there was 3 Formal Nites...

I'm not sure on the 5 day or 14 day cruises, but on the 7 day cruises generally there are 3-4 random formal nights, meaning at will non-specific to any night. Generally not on the first night or on the first 2 port nights.... again generally. I'm sure every ship in the fleet plans accordingly with some latitude between them. Any other night is smart casual, slacks, dress shirt etc. as you mentioned perfectly fine. I know this for a fact because I was approached on a formal night and was require to wear a jacket and for my convenience they supplied me and others with them. They have a portable closet behind the facade at the entrance with many sizes, If you check the RCCL.com website it's clear on the dress code. Now whether people follow it or not and it's enforced? Read their site it clearly spells it out. Or just google it.............. it's in black and white.

only 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise. We gave up eating in the MDR several cruises ago, but from what I understand, dress codes have been relaxed fleet wide. Last time we participated in a formal night on Celebrity, only stipulation was a collared shirt for my hubby, he didn't need a tie or suit coat.

Was on Serenade for 21 days in June, formal nights were basically come as you wish. Some people dressed up while others came in casual. I did not see anyone turned away. Many men did not wear jackets and women wore slacks, dresses, cocktail dresses and a few long gowns, it was all over the board.

and

Formal nights:

I hope you're not cancelling because you think there's formal nights where you must be dressed formally. That is totally not true.

Why would you post this? This is not true and almost everyone knows it. The dress code is never enforced, except possibly swimwear and tank tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why you would say this - totally incorrect. You will see all kinds of dress in the MDR and true formal, tuxes and ball gowns, are not required nor the norm.

I would say that the majority of people dress nicely; some suits, jackets, sparkly ladies tops/dresses and also Dockers, polo shirts or long sleeved dress shirts with or without ties and ladies in dresses, Capri pants.

Also your comment about dining is also incorrect. MDR has My Time Dining where you can just show up or make a reservation. There are two traditional seatings, early and late; not three as you stated.

Wonder if you have sailed RC or perhaps confusing with another line.