Sharing our dining package

JsEscape2

My DH and I have a three meal dining package promotion. We are traveling with our daughter, son, their spouses and children. We would like our children and their spouses to each use one of the meals on our package. This would be our anniversary gift to them and a chance to have a nice meal without the kids. Has anyone does this? is this allowed?

My DH and I have a three meal dining package promotion. We are traveling with our daughter, son, their spouses and children. We would like our children and their spouses to each use one of the meals on our package. This would be our anniversary gift to them and a chance to have a nice meal without the kids. Has anyone does this? is this allowed?

They ask for your ship card when you check in at the Maitre de's desk and the servers usually call you by name, otherwise I don't think it matters. (I assume you trust the kids with your ship card :)) You obviously would not all be able to eat together, of course.

Is it allowed? Probably not.

Are they going to catch you? If all three meals are at different restaurants, probably not.

They ask for your ship card when you check in at the Maitre de's desk and the servers usually call you by name, otherwise I don't think it matters. (I assume you trust the kids with your ship card :)) You obviously would not all be able to eat together, of course.

Is it allowed? Probably not.

Are they going to catch you? If all three meals are at different restaurants, probably not.

You do realize that when they scan your card a picture of you comes up right? Remember them taking a picture when you check in for your cruise? Oops busted!

You will get conflicting answers here . Better to call NCL and and see what they say.

Phone a couple of times and you will get a couple more conflicting answers to add to the collection. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize that when they scan your card a picture of you comes up right? Remember them taking a picture when you check in for your cruise? Oops busted!

Well, I knew that it did at the security checkpoints, seems weird to have it come up everywhere, but I suppose it keeps people from doing this. Not that it would save them any money -- three meals is three meals, regardless of who eats them.

Okay, it says no in all the faqs etc... but I am going to say, if you were to go with them and talk to the maitre d when they check in for dinner, it is possible that they will let you pick up the tab... an easier way to do this without making anyone uncomfortable about breaking any rules is to surprise each one with a credit on their accounts... but then you will have to use your own dinners. :)

Not that it would save them any money -- three meals is three meals, regardless of who eats them.

Sharing packages does have a financial effect. If people could share them then groups would share the package rather than pay a la carte or buy individual packages. Also, when buying them, it becomes cheaper per meal the more you buy. If it was easy to share then people could buy just a couple of bigger packages to share and save themselves some money.

Of course, if people are just using up the freebies then you are correct, but there would be plenty of opportunity to save money when people are otherwise paying for meals.

Okay, it says no in all the faqs etc... but I am going to say, if you were to go with them and talk to the maitre d when they check in for dinner, it is possible that they will let you pick up the tab... an easier way to do this without making anyone uncomfortable about breaking any rules is to surprise each one with a credit on their accounts... but then you will have to use your own dinners. :)

Yes, anyone can pay for someone else’s meal by charging it to their account. Just let them know what you want to do.

Of course once can pay for the other folks meals, but not with the SDP as asked. No need to mention a thing to anyone at the restaurant, simply go to guest service and have the charges transferred to the other account. Hell you can go to pay the balance on every passenger's account if you want to. Just you cannot use any of your SDP to do so.

Not that it would save them any money -- three meals is three meals, regardless of who eats them.

The cost-per-meal is cheaper the more nights you buy. You're paying $23 per meal if you buy a 3-meal package. But only 15.90 per meal if you buy at 10-meal package on a ten day cruise.

You could buy your kids and spouses a 3-night package for $331 ($69 per person + gratuities). Pretty cheap. Then dine out with them for 3 meals. Children can eat off the kids menus for free.

Compared to going to Cagney's and paying out of pocket for 4 a la carte meals at $50-$70 each ($220-$336 with gratuities). Might as well get the 3-meal package.

You could buy your kids and spouses a 3-night package for $331 ($69 per person + gratuities). Pretty cheap. Then dine out with them for 3 meals. Children can eat off the kids menus for free.

Compared to going to Cagney's and paying out of pocket for 4 a la carte meals at $50-$70 each ($220-$336 with gratuities). Might as well get the 3-meal package.

Whilst I agree with the point that getting the package can be a good option, this is an extremely misleading statement.

An average starter, fillet steak, a couple of sides and a dessert will be about $35, add a salad, go up to the most expensive steak and add another 3 sides (making 5 in total) and you just about make the $50.

For $70 you will need to be having a couple of entrees or a very large number of starters, sides or desserts (something like 3-4 starters, 5 sides and a couple of desserts).

Personally, one of my family have ever spent more than $40 in Cagneys. Usually nearer $30. Prices may be going up (based on the Bliss menus, but still $50-70 is still a very misleading estimate of the cost of a meal.

Whilst I agree with the point that getting the package can be a good option, this is an extremely misleading statement.

An average starter, fillet steak, a couple of sides and a dessert will be about $35, add a salad, go up to the most expensive steak and add another 3 sides (making 5 in total) and you just about make the $50.

For $70 you will need to be having a couple of entrees or a very large number of starters, sides or desserts (something like 3-4 starters, 5 sides and a couple of desserts).

Personally, one of my family have ever spent more than $40 in Cagneys. Usually nearer $30. Prices may be going up (based on the Bliss menus, but still $50-70 is still a very misleading estimate of the cost of a meal.

Even at $35 per person the SDP is a deal.

Even at $35 per person the SDP is a deal.

Not if you were only planning on having one meal.

We usually get the SDP because we would be having more than one meal in the speciality restaurants. If we are planning to use two or more (outside of the platinum ones) then we get the package because the third one is basically free.

If we just want one meal we pay a la carte.

The OP is only planning on one meal with their family, so paying a la carte is clearly the best option unless they are very big eaters. Telling them that they are likely to spend almost as much on that one meal as a 3 meal SDP costs is misleading, and could result in them spending over $150 more than they need to if they take the advice offered.

WOW. Thanks for all of these responses. We are already treating our kids to the whole cruise, so not sure we can spring for a meal package, too. They only want one cozy meal to themselves as kind of a date night, anyway. Thanks for the comments. Kids can eat free in the SD? They don't have to be on the Plan?

WOW. Thanks for all of these responses. We are already treating our kids to the whole cruise, so not sure we can spring for a meal package, too. They only want one cozy meal to themselves as kind of a date night, anyway. Thanks for the comments. Kids can eat free in the SD? They don't have to be on the Plan?

Yes, kids 12 and under can eat off the kids menu for free. Remember though, that isn't the specialty restaurant food but standard kids meals like you would get in the MDR's.

We are traveling with our daughter, son, their spouses and children.

We are already treating our kids to the whole cruise, so not sure we can spring for a meal package, too. They only want one cozy meal to themselves as kind of a date night, anyway.

Then daughter, son, and their spouses can pay for whatever/how many Specialty Dining meals that they want. You've done more than enough.

Technically it is not allowed, however what actually happens on board and what the rules say are often very different. The only way to get an accurate answer is to ask after boarding.

Dining package is still typically worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rtkenmore

You’re not eating at Cagney’s for $30/person and getting starters, entrees, sides and desserts. Not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I certainly am.

Very very close.

I have three Cagneys receipts in front of me. All have a starter, entree, 2 sides and a dessert. From this Easter. Actually, the cheapest one just had one side.

One is for $26, another for $30 (both of these just had the 5oz fillet, so we’re quite cheap). I had the rib eye, so mine was a whole dollar over the $30.

Looks pretty bloody close to me.

Edit: it seems that the quoted post was edited or removed when you realised you were talking nonsense.

Edited by KeithJenner